snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » German kid (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: German kid
Brrrtje
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brrrtje   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely NSFW if someone at W speaks German. The translation doesn't even do ik complete justice...

Acted, or just a real NFBSK'd up kid?

Posts: 142 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd say... Acted.
And I would even say they translated it too strongly, to make it appear worse in the translateion.

--------------------
~Reality, the refuge of those who fail in RPGs~
aka Darkfist Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Posts: 334 | From: Lancaster, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SantasHobbit
Frosty the Salesman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SantasHobbit     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Acted, or overacted, for mine.

When he's supposedly stalking someone in the game he's playing the keyboard like Tchaikovsky, and his fingers seem nowhere near the WASD key's.

Just a teenager looking for a bit of fame.

--------------------
Angsty little hobbitssssses

Posts: 336 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brrrtje

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brrrtje   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rob D / Blackwolf, the flying dodo:
I'd say... Acted.
And I would even say they translated it too strongly, to make it appear worse in the translateion.

Ehm. Translating 'HUUUURRRRRRR' as 'Screams' isn't very strong, imho.
Posts: 142 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ehm. Translating 'HUUUURRRRRRR' as 'Screams' isn't very strong, imho.
But using "Ass-hole" instead of "jerk" or "god-damned game" instead of just "damn game" or "What's that sh*t?" instead of the "Whats that?"

Thats what I mean with translated too strongly, to make it worse in the translation.

--------------------
~Reality, the refuge of those who fail in RPGs~
aka Darkfist Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Posts: 334 | From: Lancaster, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluesScale   E-mail BluesScale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The translation struck me as generally fair. I speak reasonable German.

I suspect that it was acted - but he is supposed to be waiting for some kind of deathmatch rather than actively playing.

BTW, post 100.

Blues "I will not celebrate meaningless anniversaries" Scale

P.S. 5 points for reference.

Posts: 207 | From: Woolhampton, Berks, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oceanic Aura
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oceanic Aura   Author's Homepage   E-mail Oceanic Aura   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Epidose 100 of the Simpsons, Thankyewveramuch.

I lived in Germany for 3 years when I was a wee brat, but my German is pathetically out of shape. So, I leave this to those more expert than myself.

Aura

--------------------
"Are we talking misdemeanor trouble or squeal like a pig trouble?"

Posts: 618 | From: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Turban Man

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turban Man     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe the translation is a bit exadgerated, but he is brutally beating his keyboard none the less.

I think the makers of that game OHANK.

TurbanMan

--------------------
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T,

Posts: 140 | From: Hollywood, Florida | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I swear that I saw the kid here in another video on the net. I haven't been able to find it - it involves him or someone similar being scared by a screamer.

Sister "whether that means they're acted or not, I don't know" Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Substitute Dreamweaver/Photoshop/MSOffice for "Unreal" and it's a normal day at the computer for me. He and I both need new processors methinks.
Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluesScale   E-mail BluesScale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
5 points for Oceanic Aura. Well done, Maam.
Posts: 207 | From: Woolhampton, Berks, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about acted; after working with disadvantaged children as a profession, that behavior looks familiar to me. I think he's a kid who isn't developmentally disabled, but grew up never hearing the word "no." Possibly in a house with little or no love.

He's fixated on that game, probably because it provides him the only happiness he ever gets.

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
faceless007
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faceless007   E-mail faceless007   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think he may actually be playing, because at some points (when he's relatively calm) his fingers do appear to be on controlling keys (though they may not be WSAD). Also, the music is clearly the UT2004 main menu music, followed by the music from one of the levels (incidentally, one of my favorite levels), indicating he did actually start a game.
Posts: 940 | From: California | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SuperGoten
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuperGoten   E-mail SuperGoten   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If he really was playing the game, who'd be filming it? If they were just showing how he acted, how did it get around the internet to youtube?

I think it was all a bit of acting.

Posts: 60 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BluesScale:
The translation struck me as generally fair. I speak reasonable German.

I suspect that it was acted - but he is supposed to be waiting for some kind of deathmatch rather than actively playing.

BTW, post 100.

Blues "I will not celebrate meaningless anniversaries" Scale

P.S. 5 points for reference.

Minor nitpick: It's, "I will not celebrate meaningless milestones."

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about acted, or over-acted, but the translation is fair, as BlueScale can attest. My little German ears are burning after that clip, and my grandma even taught me everything I ever wanted to know about swearing in Deutsch.

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chickee Daizy
Live and Let Madai

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chickee Daizy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I don't know if it's acted, but I can say that if he was my kid he would definately be grounded from the computer for a good long while...and probably put into anger management classes as well as sent to a therapist.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkies...They don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Posts: 907 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sister Ray:
I swear that I saw the kid here in another video on the net. I haven't been able to find it - it involves him or someone similar being scared by a screamer.

You don't mean this one do you?

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gorecki
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 03 posted      Profile for gorecki   E-mail gorecki   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Us Poles are just as bad! [Wink] But i'm inclined to say that it seems a little "staged", the translation is reasonable (german is my 2nd language).

*górecki*

--------------------
Niebios Przeczysta królowo, ty zawse wspieraj mnie >>> Zdrowaš Mario

Posts: 37 | From: Poland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oceanic Aura
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oceanic Aura   Author's Homepage   E-mail Oceanic Aura   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xia:
quote:

Hey, Xia - that thing isn't scary, is it? I'm pretty macho but screamers really frighten the panties of me. I want to watch it - but I'm a wimp. [Frown]

--------------------

Posts: 618 | From: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oceanic Aura
The First USA Noel

Uggg...nevermind. I youtubed it, and got a nice little video montage of various humorous reactions to screamers - all set to Benny Hill. It was great till the end...when a screamer popped up! I should have expected that, huh?

--------------------

fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally, I vote acted. It looks done with a webcam, as he probably did it himself. If it was a spycam or other such camera secretly placed by his parents (as is suggested on the YouTube comments below the video) then why would it have ended up on YouTube (or online) at all? I can't see parents secretly filming their hideously disturbed child and then broadcasting it online - no matter how funny they think it was.

Personally, I think the video was boring and staged.

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LemonLimeade
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LemonLimeade     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I first saw that at ebaums, I laughed a lot. Oddly enough I thought it was real. But there was no translation...it's strange but the presence of the words pasted on there sort of makes it look more phony.

My thought was, if this is his regular behavior, which is what you might think (why else would someone set up a camera right there?) then he'd never have a keyboard last more than a few minutes. And for a gamer, that doesn't make much sense.

--------------------
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

Posts: 285 | From: Woodbridge, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oceanic Aura:
quote:
Originally posted by Xia:
quote:

Hey, Xia - that thing isn't scary, is it? I'm pretty macho but screamers really frighten the panties of me. I want to watch it - but I'm a wimp. [Frown]
It shows a kid playing a maze thingie, and then a screamer pops up on the kid's computer screen and he freaks out. It's not bad if you turn the sound off first.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My son hits the desk and screams at the computer when he's playing games. And that's when I promptly make him get off the computer. And, aside from screaming in German and destroying the keyboard- that could be my friend's son! [Eek!]

I could see a parent filming their kid to see what was happening to the computer. Even if he did clean up his mess, that keyboard would have to be seriously screwed up!

Oh, that other link- its not that bad, its not close up to the screen, its more on the kid. But yeah, turn off the sound so you're not too startled.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That is the video. I always assumed it was either staged, or a prank being filmed by a friend (I don't have speakers on my computer, so I never hear audio). Ironically, my brother tried to get me with this, but since I've watched dozens of screamers for fun, I said as soon as he started the program "Is this the one where the girl from the Exorcist pops up?"

There's another maze screamer out there that is far scarier. It has a flickering image of what I think is a case of harlequin fetus, a black and white photo. Although I knew it was a screamer going in, I really didn't know what the image would be.

Sister "not that that stopped me..." Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChiLlBeserker
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChiLlBeserker   E-mail ChiLlBeserker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The translation is fair (native speaker of German here, though English is my mother tongue .. was born in Austria, and learned German from infancy on) .. just that it's hard to translate German swearing, as it just .. has no punch, no matter how hard you try. Some people actually switch to English when really swearing - It's still odd to hear people yell things like "F*** you, du Hure!" in public.

In Austria, people that speak quite "normal" German under normal circumstances will generally swtitch into Austro-German so thick that a German wouldn't get a word when angry - as you CAN swear in Austrian German, unlike "normal" German. (Oida, du gfraster, hau di über di Heisa, Nudlaug, gschissener, ...)

I vote staged.

Posts: 55 | From: Around places. Currently in Vienna | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Orgaz
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orgaz   E-mail Orgaz       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Definately acted. If he was really that angry he would of smashed the keyboard over the monitor and put the printer through the screen.
Posts: 11 | From: Leicester , England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sister Ray - Here's a list of screamers. Maybe a title will ring a bell with you, without having to look at it.

For you screamer innocents: Do not click the "You Are An Idiot" one. Not a screamer so much as it just keeps putting a zillion pop ups on your screen that you can never get out of without turning your computer off. Damn thing.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snoozn
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snoozn   E-mail snoozn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it could be real. His behavior does fit that of some kids on the autustic spectrum (and possibly other mental disorders too), with the obsessiveness and the screaming tantrum. It might have been filmed by his parents and then put on the internet without their knowledge by a sibling. Or it might have been filmed by a sibling or sibling's friend. It seems so autistic-like to me that even if it's acted I wouldn't be suprised if it is based on the real behavior of an autistic kid. If it is real, I find it horrifying that parents would let a child with this personality play such a violent game.

snoozn

Posts: 423 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon Shadows
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon Shadows   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just want to say that thanks to snopesters around the world, you have permanantly damaged me from clicking on any link here without asking what it is first.

Thankfully, sister ray knows this and has dutifully advertised, in this thread, that there are screamers.. hehe.. love her dearly for that [Smile]

and of course, thanks to all the snopesters who've made my heart race through the years. I really outta bop you one just because. [Smile]

As for the OP (which I have seen once and of course, promptly asked if it was a screamer), I, like snoozn, thought it was real--he just loses it too quickly--like someone who does have a serious mental problem going on--maybe like the autisum snoozn mentioned. I mean, I get pissed off royally if I can't do something in a video game, but that's only after I've tried and tried a few hundred dozen times--then things start flying.

This kid just gets angry way too quickly--and people who have a certain kind of mental disorder, such as ones on the autistic spectrum, will do that--a button will be pushed mentally and it just sets them off and takes considerable effort to calm them. I can't see this being staged. What I see, again agreeing with snoozn, is a parent taping their kid to show "proof" the kid loses it so quickly.

I hope it is fake, I really do or I fear for his future wife's life. That kind of temper is extremely dangerous.

--------------------
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in hand, body thoroughly used up, and screaming WoW what a ride!

Posts: 2924 | From: Flori-duh | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if the kid could be a manic. Holding in violent impulses can go out the window. Not that I have had been violent (I'd probably be yelling like a wombat in an electric chair while manic, in that kid's situation), but it does happen with some manics.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am convinced that the kid is genuine and not acting. If he's acting, then he is truly gifted. There are just too many little mannerisms, and the episode is too sustained, for it to be acted.

I have seen this type of behaviour in two different people. I taught a boy this year who was very well contained, but had one major episode like this just at the end of a school day. He was completely irrational and violent, and it took us 45 minutes to talk him down. We really thought we were going to have to call the police. He is 13 now, and when he was younger, this behaviour was much more frequent and less well controlled.

I also saw my younger brother behave like this many, many times when I was a kid. In fact, watching that video was difficult for me, because it brought back a lot of memories that I had effectively suppressed. We are able to laugh about it now, but living with my brother was a challenge. Through working with family doctor and Sick Kids, my parents eventually discovered that he had a very violent adverse reaction to many artificial colours and to refined sugar. For years, we used only maple syrup as a sweetener in our house. Giving my brother one or two Lifesaver candies would provoke behaviour like that seen on the video.

My brother has outgrown most of his childhood sensitivities, but he still struggles with mood swings and depression, and occasional manic episodes. I really believe that if he was more careful with his diet, he would be more stable, but he's an adult and has to find what works for him.

I giggled when I remembered that my brother used to react like this to seeing "The Six Million Dollar Man". We had to make sure he was nowhere near a TV when it was on. If he heard the theme music, we were doomed!

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From watching my step-Brother, I tend to think it's real. He is in his mid 20's but will never develop beyond a 13 year old mentally. Although he doesn't get quite that violent, he does get very passionate about his video games. And he tends to rock very much in the same manner as the boy in the video.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brrrtje

quote:
just that it's hard to translate German swearing, as it just .. has no punch, no matter how hard you try. Some people actually switch to English when really swearing - It's still odd to hear people yell things like "F*** you, du Hure!" in public.
[/QB]

Really? I've always thought that German is one of the very few languages that beats Dutch for swearing. 'Arschloch' just sounds so much grosser, so much less-well-wiped, than 'Asshole', for instance.

Brr 'Krčg de kankah agtah je hagt' rtje

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages