snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Crawley Kids Died (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Crawley Kids Died
Ophiuchus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophiuchus   E-mail Ophiuchus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
People have survived things one would think unsurvivalable and died during things that one would think a person would be able to shrug off.

Instead of trying to caculate the speed they were going, it might be far more effective to check into the source for the video and news sources for that area.

Posts: 411 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ophiuchus:
Instead of trying to caculate the speed they were going, it might be far more effective to check into the source for the video and news sources for that area.

I'd be shocked if they died. Other than the comment in the OP, and a comment on UTube that seemed to be fascetious, I don't think there's any real evidence they died.

In liu of any follow-up sources (which probably don't exist, unless they DID die (or unless the person responsible for the video can be contacted for comment) we probaly have to live with our speculations/calculations.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ophiuchus:
People have survived things one would think unsurvivalable and died during things that one would think a person would be able to shrug off.

Since I can't find anything (have searched the local BBC website and Crawley's local news websites), it's safe to assume they didn't.

Two teenage girls being killed in a freak accident in the UK, particularly an easily avoidable one such as this, would probably have attracted national attention.

OT - all my searches including the word roundabout DID yield plenty of incidents where children and teenagers got mashed on traffic roundabouts - but they're just "accidents" aren't they, and not worthy of our attention [Mad] (sarcasm x 3000)

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Holly Golightly
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holly Golightly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This has just been on the news on Radio 1. Apparently the police are looking for the people involved, it happened in Tilgate Park in Crawley and the person who originally posted the video has removed it. I still can't find a refernece to this on the BBC website though.
Posts: 1555 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
it was in the metro this morning (I assume it's the scooter & roundabout incident, there is no mention of their demise, but Crawley council do not know who they are and have appealed for witnesses.

--------------------
once known as little miss

"I don't Pretend to be an ordinary Housewife" Elizabeth Taylor

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What would be the crime, other than "kids doing dumb things"?

The girls seem quite willing participants, and I doubt there are laws that specifically deal with this (other than perhaps the scooter shouldn't have been off the roadway, etc).

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

EDITED:

Looks like all the "mirror" sites are really just accessing YouTube, which has been removed.

If you missed the original video, you can at least get a taste of what it was with this "hip hop remix":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bGIaOLMNRQ&feature=Views&page=1&t=t&f=b

-Tim

Holly Golightly
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holly Golightly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rehcsif:

The girls seem quite willing participants, and I doubt there are laws that specifically deal with this (other than perhaps the scooter shouldn't have been off the roadway, etc).

-Tim

I thin kit would come under the new all-encompassing anti social behaviour crack down. Not necessarily a bad thing IMHO.

http://www.crimereduction.gov.uk/asbos9.htm

Posts: 1555 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Except when you click it, it says "This video is no longer available"!

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

-Tim

Any number of laws. Taking a scooter into a playground like that no doubt is illegal, they could potentially damage that roundabout, by making the video public they could be encouraging other to repeat the stunt. You may think I'm joking on that last one but they've had the police patrolling that playground to stop copycats. Crawley doesn't exactly have a reputation for smart level headed types...
Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/ukfs_news/hi/newsid_5230000/newsid_5236300/bb_wm_5236364.stm

BBC report on the vid

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abigsmurf:
BBC report on the vid

That report seems a bit counterproductive if you ask me - I bet they have ten times as many people trying to copy it after that...
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I would guess that the kids did not get hurt, then. I mean, if they got hurt, they would not be hard to find; I am sure the cops checked the local hospitals for people with injuries consistant with this.

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluesScale   E-mail BluesScale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another cite - http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=721450

Blues

Posts: 207 | From: Woolhampton, Berks, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

British police officers swear to protect the crown, the law, and life. I think this would come under protecting life.
Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Neffti Neffti Bang Bang:
]British police officers swear to protect the crown, the law, and life. I think this would come under protecting life.

But at this point, it seems counterproductive to give them anything other than a harsh lecture/scolding. They obviously survived, and they probably had no idea how dangerous what they were doing was. No need to slap on criminal/juvinile charges to force the point...

-Tim

Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Neffti Neffti Bang Bang:
]British police officers swear to protect the crown, the law, and life. I think this would come under protecting life.

But at this point, it seems counterproductive to give them anything other than a harsh lecture/scolding. They obviously survived, and they probably had no idea how dangerous what they were doing was. No need to slap on criminal/juvinile charges to force the point...

-Tim

A harsh lecture/scolding is very likely what a patrolling officer would give if they saw any likelihood of this situation being repeated, and the motive for patrolling would very likely be to educate and prevent injury rather than increase crime stats. Just because an officer attends an incident, it doesn't follow that a charge will be brought.

The onus is really on the local council to take measures to ensure the safety of people using play equipment provided and maintained by them... but especially outside of office hours, if teenagers are putting their lives at risk, it'll be the police that get the phone call warning that teenagers are putting their lives at risk. And when they get that call, they have to act.

Rehcsif
We Three Blings

I don't like all the stereotyping going on in this thread. I know nothing about Crawley -- heck I had to look it up in Wikipedia just to make sure it was in the UK, as I suspected. But it seems ironic that at the same time Mel Gibson is getting blasted for making blanket statements about Jews while drunk, people are characterizing an entire population of a large city as "wannabe thugs" and "not exactly level headed". It's not fair to these kids to assume this. I'm guessing everyone here did at least one thing at that age that could have, in retrospect, gotten themselves killed...

Assume good faith, people. Please.

-Tim

Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

quote:
I don't like all the stereotyping going on in this thread. I know nothing about Crawley -- heck I had to look it up in Wikipedia just to make sure it was in the UK, as I suspected. But it seems ironic that at the same time Mel Gibson is getting blasted for making blanket statements about Jews while drunk, people are characterizing an entire population of a large city as "wannabe thugs" and "not exactly level headed". It's not fair to these kids to assume this. I'm guessing everyone here did at least one thing at that age that could have, in retrospect, gotten themselves killed...

-Tim

We're in agreement here, Tim. Teenagers in Crawley are no more or less inexperienced and ready to test limits than teenagers anywhere and from any era.

If anything, I'd say making a playground roundabout go really fast is pretty innocent behaviour by today's standards.

Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

-Tim

That's lovely, A person from Minneapolis coming to the defense of the reputation of Crawley. It nearly brought a tear to my eye.

I have more faith in humanity now!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf

quote:

-Tim

Crawley isn't a large city, it's a medium sized town. I did actually use to live next to the town (in a village called crawley Down). The town does have a problem with wannabe gangs and teenagers acting hard.

It's also slightly ironic defending Crawley against blanket statements. Crawley used to be a solid council seat for Labour but they lost the last local elections. The main reason? Their soft stance on gypsies. I remember it making the national news that a town meeting on 'the problem' almost turned into a riot.

More examples of things that has given the town such a bad reputation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnr9vBmTkZA

Rehcsif
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by abigsmurf:
Crawley isn't a large city, it's a medium sized town. I did actually use to live next to the town (in a village called crawley Down). The town does have a problem with wannabe gangs and teenagers acting hard.

Wikipedia says it's about 100K people. Beings I grew up in a town of 300, (that's three hundred people), it's a big city to me. Regardless of what you call it, that's a lot of kids -- and to assume all of them are gang-related is wrong.

-Tim

abigsmurf

The UK has a different definition of city to the US and Crawley doesn't come close to meeting the conditions.

100K people doesn't even class it as a large town: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_status_in_the_United_Kingdom

*edit*

there are also mistakes in that crawley wikipedia article. Gatwick is NOT part of crawley for instance.

James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, in the UK a place of 300 people would almost always be considered a village, rather than a town.

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But with a name like Crawley... [fish] Okay, I deserved that fish.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Yeah, here in the US it varies by state, but has to do with how the city/town/whatever is incorporated. Even my 'town' of 300 people was legally a City in Iowa. Some states have a legal category for 'Village'. Minnesota used to, but not anymore, so it's only used informally.

100K people would virtually always be called a city anywhere I'm familiar with in the US.

But I didn't mean to steer this off-topic. My real point is that it doesn't matter if the place is know for gang activity or what-not -- these kids don't show any evidience of any of that -- just being typically dumb/bored kids trying something "cool". I did a few things at that age that I now cringe about (I remember passing a car up a hill, in a blind no-passing-zone, with my entire family in the car because I got sick of following the car. Causes me chills now...)

I guess I see a parallel being that you hear someone died in San Francisco, and the cause was not known, so somebody says "Yeah I bet they died of AIDS -- you know how SF is known for all the gays..."

-Tim

TallGeekyGirl
O Read, O Read, The Manual

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another report, this time from ITV, on the Metacafe site:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/203544/merry_go_around_news/

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the outrage on that thing. "These young hoodlums are putting this stunt on the Internet FOR ANYONE TO WATCH!!! INCLUDING CHILDREN!!! IT IS OUTRAGEOUS! THE INTERNET SHOULD NOT BE FOR PEOPLE JUST PUTTING WHATEVER IMAGE THEY WANT TO HAVE ON THERE JUST WILLY NILLY FOR ANYONE TO SEE! DON'T THESE IDIOTS REALIZE HOW DANGEROUS THAT IS??? PROBABLY JUST SHOWING IT WILL CAUSE OTHER CHILDREN TO DO IT, AND THEN THEIR DOING IT WILL MAKE MORE CHILDREN DO IT, AND PRETTY SOON IT'S LIKE SALEM'S LOT ONLY INSTEAD OF VAMPIRES YOU HAVE GIRLS FLYING OFF OF CAROUSELS!!! AAAAHHH!!! BLOOD IS COMING OUT OF MY EYES, I AM SO OUTRAGED BY THE CONCEPT OF THE INTERNET BEING ABUSED IN THIS MANNER!!!!

"Here's the clip."

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know it's been said more than once in this thread, but I still don't understand how police are looking at this a a "potentially fatal" accident. Couldn't that be discerned in about three minutes? It would be something fairly well documented, wouldn't it?

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages