snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » World''s Tallest Woman

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: World''s Tallest Woman
SanguinePenguin
Ika and Tina Tuna

Icon 214 posted      Profile for SanguinePenguin   E-mail SanguinePenguin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks funny to me...

Ginormous lady!!

Posts: 119 | From: Nashville | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giant Communist Robot
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giant Communist Robot   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
probably authentic

linkie

Posts: 63 | From: Aiea, Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
violetbon
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for violetbon   E-mail violetbon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That picture does look kind of odd. She almost looks like she's about to start floating off the chair. And she seems much wider than the normal sized woman next to her.
Posts: 193 | From: Seymour, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Biggles
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biggles   E-mail Biggles   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Better link here: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory?id=2079333

One of those pictures that looks fake but probably isn't.

Posts: 83 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by violetbon:
And she seems much wider than the normal sized woman next to her.

Wouldn't that be expected at her height?

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"She's actual size but she seems much bigger to me." (30 points)
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Cow
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Cow   E-mail Purple Cow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I claim those points in the name of They Might Be Giants! =D

--------------------
No one ever wants the super boob.
-Dr. Heisler, American Dad

Baby Alex!

Posts: 233 | From: Roanoke, VA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Honey Bunching Oats
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Honey Bunching Oats   E-mail Honey Bunching Oats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That picture does look kind of odd. She almost looks like she's about to start floating off the chair. And she seems much wider than the normal sized woman next to her.

I think the woman sitting next to the giant in the OP link is below average height.

The caption also mentions a tumor in the brain. It's probably a pituitary adenoma that secretes Human Growth Hormone.

--------------------
"When we talk about democracy, if the people's stomach is empty, democracy is also empty. Democracy cannot be installed by fiat; it must be achieved by the people themselves." Y.C. James Yen (1893-1990)

Posts: 146 | From: San Jose, California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Cow:
I claim those points in the name of They Might Be Giants! =D

You got the answer so you can have them but only if you name them something more reasonable for a pet, such as Fred. [Smile]
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
She almost looks like a doll in that photo. A Google photo search brought up several photos including this one:

http://www.shanghaiist.com/attachments/shang_peijin/yaodefenchinashanghaiwoman.jpg

I have to say that there's something odd about the photo in the OP- as if she isn't big enough I think she's been enlarged- or perhaps that other lady is just way small. See just doesn't seem as large to me in the other pics.

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
inkiemouse
Let It Wasabi

Icon 82 posted      Profile for inkiemouse   Author's Homepage   E-mail inkiemouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
She doesn't appear to have breasts...

--------------------
A dyslexic man walks into a bra.

Posts: 541 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smallpotatoes
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smallpotatoes     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
She doesn't appear to have breasts...
One of the links posted above had a follow-up link that says:

quote:
The hormone disorder can also delay puberty, which is the case with Yao, who has no secondary sexual characteristics. She has a male-sounding voice.

Jaci
Posts: 47 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd think the male-sounding voice might well be from having a very large voicebox.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have believed that this was an optical illusion.

I have seen before that magicians have designed a room in which both sides are equally designed. However when you put one person on side A compared to another person on side B, side B was taller. When you swapped them, the other one was taller.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From what I know about her, she had severe scoliosis and couldn't sit up straight. So it's possible the strange appearance was because of that. I'm willing to bet acromegaly was also a factor.

Sister "of course, it could still be fake..." Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver_slayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, some time ago there was a report about Leonid Stadnik of Ukraine. He was extra-tall and the same kind of chubby, with not-so-realistic limb proportions. The catch was that after surgery on brain tumor he got some problems with hormones so he just went on growing.
Posts: 246 | From: Toronto, ON / Kyiv, Ukraine | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't there some sort of like 8 foot tall woman in a wheelchair somewhere, she got too tall and something happened to her legs and now she can't walk. She may be dead now...does anyone know what I'm talking about?

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 303 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angel With Wax Wings:
Isn't there some sort of like 8 foot tall woman in a wheelchair somewhere, she got too tall and something happened to her legs and now she can't walk. She may be dead now...does anyone know what I'm talking about?

~Monica

I think that is the woman who the picture is supposedly of. It wasn't getting too tall; it was simply that her rate of growth was so large that she couldn't support herself.

Sandy Allen, the world's tallest woman, can stand and walk.

Sister "somewhat short herself" Ray

--------------------

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to one of the links above, Yao Defen beats Sandy allen by an inch and a half, a German site I "uncovered" (actually it won't load, but the important information was visible in Google's overview) claims Defen to be 2cm (roughly 0.8 inches) shorter. Whatever.

The pictures of the wheelchair bound women probably would be of Zeng Jinlian, supposedly the tallest woman to ever live, who died in the early eighties, while not having reached 20 herself then, and had some deformation in her back rendering her unable to walk.

A friend of mine suffered from a (comparatively) mild form of "overgrowth". He stands 2.17m (7'1½", if I got that right). Or actually he doesn't, he developed a kind of hump and arches forward, probably due to his body weight, and has lost a few cms. Maybe similar circumstances make the comparison of the tallest women difficult, again one of the links above indicated such a thing.

Also, neither of those women can actually really "stand and walk" the way we understand it, as it unfortunately seems. Only get "propped up" for a few occasions.

Ulko "6'4" maalainen

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smallpotatoes

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smallpotatoes     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
One of the links posted above said that Sandy Allen is now confined to a wheelchair. From the link...

quote:
I've been asked several times why I consider Ms. Yao to be the tallest woman in the world:

If she is, in fact, 7'8 1/2" she is one and a quarter of an inch taller than Sandy Allen was at her tallest.

If she is "only" 7'7" which some sources claim (and therefore a quarter of an inch shorter than Sandy) she is still taller than "Sandy 2006" because Sandy can no longer stand up straight and is sadly confined to a wheel-chair these days. Even if Sandy could still stand up her bodyweight seems to have caused her back to arch so she can no longer be considered to be 7'7 1/4". I guess the Guinness Book of Records needs to be updated.

Jaci
Posts: 47 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
medtchva
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for medtchva   E-mail medtchva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honey Bunching Oats:
quote:

I think the woman sitting next to the giant in the OP link is below average height.

The caption also mentions a tumor in the brain. It's probably a pituitary adenoma that secretes Human Growth Hormone.

If you look closely, you'll see that her chair is much taller/has a higher seat than the lady on the left, making it look odd.
Posts: 229 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tequila Mockingbird

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tequila Mockingbird   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tequila Mockingbird   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And people poke fun at me for being 6'0 - apparently 'freakishly tall' for a female (I do however, have breasts and a girly voice).
My bf says I draw attention by going out with him... he's 'only' 5'6.

I like it when people stare. Gives me a chance to scowl at strangers [Razz]

--------------------
I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face."
I said, "You'll be sorry."
He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?"
I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well"

Posts: 49 | From: Teesside, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smallpotatoes:
quote:
One of the links posted above said that Sandy Allen is now confined to a wheelchair. From the link...

quote:
I've been asked several times why I consider Ms. Yao to be the tallest woman in the world:

If she is, in fact, 7'8 1/2" she is one and a quarter of an inch taller than Sandy Allen was at her tallest.

If she is "only" 7'7" which some sources claim (and therefore a quarter of an inch shorter than Sandy) she is still taller than "Sandy 2006" because Sandy can no longer stand up straight and is sadly confined to a wheel-chair these days. Even if Sandy could still stand up her bodyweight seems to have caused her back to arch so she can no longer be considered to be 7'7 1/4". I guess the Guinness Book of Records needs to be updated.

Jaci

That's awful. Although Sandy Allen isn't growing anymore - she had a pituitary operation at 21. I admired her as a kid.

Sister "was a geek who read the Guinness book tons of times" Ray

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages