snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Car Accident in Portugal, caused by a lady ghost

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Car Accident in Portugal, caused by a lady ghost
chasswow
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 301 posted      Profile for chasswow   E-mail chasswow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.youtube.com/v/VfwYiAcumzg

This is about a car accident that happened in Portugal Sintra, saying that it is cause by a lady ghost. 3 teenagers, 2 male and 1 female are driving on the road, the guy at the back holding a video camera recorded how a lady ghost cause that accident to happen. Read more after the jump.

When they are driving at Suburb, they saw a lady with white clothe standing behind the road alone by herself, so they stop the car and offer the lady a ride. The lady sit at the back with the guy who hold the video camera. The lady actually died in an accident which happen 2 years ago in that area. When they pass the area where the accident happen 2 years ago, the lady’s pretty face suddenly turn out with scar and blooding, then the car crash.

I saw this video in couple weeks ago, but i don't know it's true or not, has anyone seen this video before?

Posts: 2 | From: Taiwan | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Captain_Pizzapasta

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain_Pizzapasta   E-mail Captain_Pizzapasta   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I bet it's just a portuguese Blair Witch Project.

Very impressive, anyway.

--------------------
Mamma mia!

Posts: 22 | From: Milan, Italy | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ringotaku
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ringotaku   E-mail ringotaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I dont' know. it was at least visual wise so cheesy it's hard to say whether it was real or not. Hell I could barely see any scars on the woman in the back seat.

--------------------
Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.

Posts: 76 | From: Dublin, GA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I vote fake. It all seems so contrived. Add to that fact that weird special-effect thing followed by the camera man's sudden need to focus on the lady . . .

It also seems like a fairly easy thing to drop the camera to simulate this "accident". The sudden pixelation from "impact" also looks digitally created.

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lawgiver
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lawgiver   E-mail Lawgiver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After 7 minutes of jumpy video, all I got out of it was motion sickness. I couldnt tell one way or another.

--------------------
I looked at my sleeping husband and longed to plunge my elbow through his peaceful face. ~ Annissa

Posts: 381 | From: Nashville | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Whaler on the Moon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whaler on the Moon   E-mail Whaler on the Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This video sure has been around.

I tried to look for more details on the accident, but most of my search led me to the video and comments on it.
A few people claim they have searched and that there really was an accident involving a woman named Teresa Fidalgo, but i personaly found nothing, though that could be just poor search skills on my part. Either way, whoever made the movie could have used a real person's name.

There's a vanishing hitchiker tale placed on that road. They just took it, tweaked it a bit and made a movie.

--------------------
A cat shall lead the dumb, and the dumb shall rejoice. But of course, they shall misspell their banners. - Get Fuzzy

Posts: 41 | From: Lisbon, Portugal | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alistair
Billy, Don't Be a Hero Sandwich

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alistair   Author's Homepage   E-mail Alistair   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bullshit fake video.
Posts: 64 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A real ghost wouldn't have had to open the door to get in- obviously fake.
Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sidewinder
Deck the Malls

Icon 07 posted      Profile for sidewinder   E-mail sidewinder   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If it is fake i feel bad on the woman playing the ghost. Having to wait there next to the road while we see 7 minutes of driving and portuguese banter.

Amazing the lengths some people will go to just to stir up some superstition geeks.

quote:
I bet it's just a portuguese Blair Witch Project.
El Blairo Witcho Projecto. [fish]
Posts: 282 | From: wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sidewinder:
If it is fake i feel bad on the woman playing the ghost. Having to wait there next to the road while we see 7 minutes of driving and portuguese banter.

I wonder what that was about- seemed completely pointless unless they just "happened" to be talking about said legend before it happened.

I guess I'll have to learn Portugalese now...

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kage Tenshi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kage Tenshi   E-mail Kage Tenshi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi, I´m Brazilian, and I could understand some things they say.
First, tha dialogue is vague, with some jokes and the girl in front sseat begging to turn off the camera, and the boy in front seat says the the cameraman use the camera like a new toy.
They passes in a desert forest with dead trees, and all says how sinister is the local, and when they catch the new girl, she says about a accident that she sufered but dont remember. When she began talk some more, the accident occur.
Well, the end of the video says that the cameraman was the only suvivor, and about that girl whos is a girl who supose died in a car accident two years before.

But all this is false!

First, the effect of the camera, is proposital.
Second, the speed they run is a low speed to provide a accident like this. And they drive in a straight line!
Third, there´s no metal scraps after the shock.
Fourth, they used seat belts, and tha accident looks like a car turn, and not a car crash. The two people in front seat can survive without problems.
Sorry if you dont undertand me, because my english is poor, but I can try explain again...

Posts: 17 | From: Brazil, Pernambuco | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Whaler on the Moon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whaler on the Moon   E-mail Whaler on the Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TuFurg:
[QUOTE]
I wonder what that was about- seemed completely pointless unless they just "happened" to be talking about said legend before it happened.

I guess I'll have to learn Portugalese now...

No need, it was pointless. A whole lot of "Why aren't we there yet", "shut the camera", "Wrong turn","You said you knew the way" and " running out of gas".
The girl asks for a ride, they assume home, ask her if something is wrong and she doesn't answer. At the end she points and says "Over there, there was an acident. That's were i died"

The whole conversation feels forced and the lame jokes annoying.

--------------------
A cat shall lead the dumb, and the dumb shall rejoice. But of course, they shall misspell their banners. - Get Fuzzy

Posts: 41 | From: Lisbon, Portugal | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chasswow

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chasswow   E-mail chasswow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, after watched this video, I'm also tring to do some research by myself. I try to search by the keyword "Teresa Fidalgo", but found nothing. And I tried another search by using the sentence "car accident by lady ghost"....the result also led me to the video just as the same as Whaler!

So I think it must be just a joke!!

Posts: 2 | From: Taiwan | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What beefs me a little about this (though this is not proof in any way) is firstly the conveniently available camera. Somebody just decided to film tons of minutes of totally typical, boring driving. There may be an explicable reason, the easiest being that he has a "new toy", and Kage's post seems like they addressed that issue a little. That, and the fact that I am often astounded at what people do, makes this not impossible, but still improbable. But then, secondly, if you put some stuff like this into a video, inbcluding some text inserting at the end and a number of obvious cuts - why not just kick the first few minutes out? Here we have a contradiction of two goals:

Assumedly, this video should bring news to the people. For this you would only need the essentials. But I think this piece's author mistakenly believed, that length makes this more normal, since we can rely to people driving around while nothing happens at all. So he added (or left) the non essentials in the beginning. But instead of making this more believable via inserting "real life", it actually gets less so, since it makes the whole film more into a supposedly fictional story. Of course, this is technique, and no proof, but I was just wondering why people always do this?

I just wished the dialogue was in German. I think I should be quite good in telling apart actual dialogue vs badly written and presented dialogue vs badly improvised dialogue. But not in Portuguese [Smile]

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also say fake

I thought it was very rude how he kept pointing the camera at the woman in white.Imagine you ask for a ride and someone keeps poiting a camera at you.

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl
O Read, O Read, The Manual

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Communication Attempt:
I also say fake

I thought it was very rude how he kept pointing the camera at the woman in white.Imagine you ask for a ride and someone keeps poiting a camera at you.

Especially if you're a hitchhiking female picked up by a bunch of guys on a joyride out in the middle of nowhere! She probably screamed and freaked out the way she did because she suddenly realized how dangerous what she was doing was! [Eek!]

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to say fake just for the cheesy iMovie effects that happened every time the cameraman filmed the alleged "dead girl." Come on - if a ghost really caused some sort of electrical disturbance that made the camera "flutter" or what have you when it was pointed at her, wouldn't it do that just because she was sitting half a foot away from him?...

I believe in ghosts, for sure, but this is just ridiculous.

Fictional "at least Blair Witch was entertaining" Lie

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cyber
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyber   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cyber   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For those who believe common sense is not proof enough, Eliasz26 from the youtube video's comments was savvy enough to pick out a glaring flaw in the video:
quote:
It's fake because if you look closely from 5:57 to 6:02, you will see there is no mobile (cell-phone) near the dashboard, however it appears all of a sudden, watch and pay close attention to the dash board and near the steering wheel.
That pretty much settles it. Regardless though, it's an awesome piece of amateur video. If only I understood portuguese.

--------------------
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
- Galileo Galilei

Posts: 134 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ComicBookGeek
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ComicBookGeek     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would watch but I have a feeling I would get creeped out.

--------------------
My Blog

Posts: 177 | From: Mobile, AL | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
63mercus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 63mercus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to say this is absolutely real, 'cause my brother-in-law's ex-wife's cousin said the same happened to her & I heard she TOTALLY freaked when she was shown this video at her Mother-in-law's ex-husband's house. At Thanksgiving. So there ya go. Incontrovertible evidence. Seriously, though, kinda cool in a Blair-witchy kinda way. Not a lotta detail of the ghost's transformation, just a quick shot before the car wrecks. Looks like someone put some thought into this

--------------------
"Soylent Green is People!!"
The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so. - Mark Twain

Posts: 21 | From: Chalmers, IN | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by ComicBookGeek:
I would watch but I have a feeling I would get creeped out.

The only thing that will creep you out is realizing that you'll never get those 6+ minutes back after watching it.

The cell phone was a good catch though but it could be that it was the dead girl's cell phone therefore it's a ghost as well and everyone knows that ghost cell phones can appear and disappear at will.

ica171
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ica171   E-mail ica171   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was starting to get queasy after the first three minutes, so I skipped forward to the end. I wasn't terribly impressed, though apparently neither was anyone else.
Posts: 384 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm such an idiot. I went searching for this thread b/c it sounded familiar to a one I didn't watch b/c I'm a chicken...I just scrolled up to the OP. Still not gonna watch it!

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages