snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Girl Pulled Apart through Magic! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Girl Pulled Apart through Magic!
DeliaD
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeliaD     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, thanks, Syllavus, that makes sense.

I thought what you have labeled as his right leg must be a leg, but I couldn't make any sense of how it was positioned relative to the foot and to his body.

mags' explanation that Johnny's legs are crossed + your diagram definitely clears this up.

Posts: 5 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, knowing the trick now, I've kind of figured out what the deal is with the contortionist. If you look at the different angles of the shots, you can see a couple of lumps/arches that are her head and her back. Also, when you look at the shot of her when the first "volunteer" comes up, you'll see that the skirt is extremely rounded and billowy, like the woman was overweight. It's slightly disproportionate (even when she's lying down), because her waist is relatively slim, but she's heavy-looking on the bottom.
I can actually bend the way that the contortionist does(more specifically, I can pull my head past my legs when stretching out), but I can't walk like that without falling over. It's not that difficult to do, and not uncomfortable at all (if you know how to do it, of course).

The REAL trick that I'm wondering about is how the hell the top-part woman (for lack of a better term) could keep from laughing, when seeing the volunteers's faces.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Indigo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Indigo   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I were the top woman, I'd have been worried about being dropped by the volunteer (if she truly was a volunteer and not an accomplice) - the girl being that startled, could have dropped her in such a way that she was seriously injured.
Posts: 27 | From: Indiana | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WonkoTheSane
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WonkoTheSane     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm thinking that both of the "pullers" were shills: the blonde didn't pull, and the brunette pulled way too far and set the "upper half" down too carefully for someone who was freaked out by what they are seeing. There's an old precept in magic that you don't allow your mark to be the one to make the grand revelation, because they will almost always screw it up. If the mark is interested in the revelation, then they aren't interested in making the revelation theatrical for everyone else.

Wonko

--------------------
"It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilzation in which I could live and stay sane."

Posts: 1462 | From: Outside the Asylum (Massachusetts) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cherry Pie
Tic Tac Dough

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Cherry Pie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have studied this video more times than I care to admit. The woman that walks to the bench is not the same woman they pull apart.

Notice they camera cuts away right before the pulling and when it cuts back - the woman on the bench now has:
a. shorter arms
b. her hair in a pony tail that shows her ears (they were completely covered seconds before)
c. her shirt is now tucked in to the skirt, instead if out

Posts: 2 | From: Iowa | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluesScale   E-mail BluesScale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
a] Welcome to the boards!
b] Excellent perception skills. I applaud you.

Blues.

Posts: 207 | From: Woolhampton, Berks, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good catch. Pretty sad when street magic can't just be, well... performed on the street. Instead we have everyone who's there in on it and the magic is simply for the viewer. Why not just CGI the illusions. lol

Here's another one of his stunts:

http://theync.com/m062206angel.shtml

This one was done quite poorly as it's obvious (to me anyway) that the guy's right arm is fake and you can clearly see that Angel is simply reaching around his body as his hand come out from the guy's jacket. Also his right hand remains in his pocket as he's being "lifted"?? C'mon... I'm disappointed that it was done so sloppily;-) Funny how sometimes the simplest of things are the giveaways...

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DeliaD

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeliaD     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cherry Pie,

Your post made me watch the video again, and I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

To me, it appears that the standing woman does have her hair gathered in a loose ponytail, and when she lies down, the loosely gathered hair hangs down towards the bench, exposing her ears.

To me the length of her arms and the position of her shirt (untucked) also appear the same standing and lying down.

Though, admittedly, the video is pretty low res, so it's hard to conclusively verify any of this...

Obviously, Criss had to pick his subject(s) pretty carefully for this "illusion," but I'm just not seeing any substitution.

Mind you, I do think the 2 women walk amazingly well together, and I think that's where the real skill in this trick lies.

Posts: 5 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I could go either way on the ponytail but the arms seems longer to me and there's no question IMO that the skirt position is changed.
Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RayPV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RayPV   E-mail RayPV   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with cherry pie on this. You can see the changes right after the cut and one of the worst things you can do when performing a magic trick for television is to have so many cuts instead of one long take. This trick is as simple as filming a person standing in front of the camera, stop recording, having the person move from the shot and start recording again.. Wow!.. he disappeared. Really bad magic trick when you need tv tricks to carry it out. It's no longer a magic trick

just my 2 cents

Posts: 43 | From: Puerto Vallarta, Mexico | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 104 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Mind you, I do think the 2 women walk amazingly well together, and I think that's where the real skill in this trick lies.
When this trick was performed on stage with Johnny Eck, typical misdirection was used to switch the original audience volunteer with the Johnny Eck/midget combination. I would assume Criss Angel does the same switch, only using camera cutting rather than stage misdirection techniques.

Of course, that Johnny Eck had a (normal-sized) twin brother who served as the "volunteer" helped heighten the original illusion.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree that camera tricks are totally bogus, and shouldn't even be considered a valid illusion. There's an awful lot you can do with trick camera work, CGI, etc. If it's a magic trick, it should be able to be shown in front of a live audience, or in this case, a live small group.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ParaDiddle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A recently banned snopester uses the same name on a MB for magic enthusiasts. He started a thread using the same title as this one, then C&P'd a post I made earlier in this thread.

What galls me is that he's playing it off like he's the one that figured it out.

Scroll to the the 5th post after the OP
My original writing, posted three days before his.

- P

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
He did say that "he read the explanation". He should have credited you though

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ParaDiddle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Jay:
He did say that "he read the explanation". He should have credited you though

His post says (in first person) that he saw the woman on a cable show. He didn't paraphrase the information I provided, he copied it. He comes off as clever or insightful based on something deciphered and explained by someone else. He isn't even 'clever'
enough to re-word the explanation.
- P

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rivkah Chaya
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivkah Chaya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi! I'm new to the board, and I hope I'm doing this right.

I've seen a couple of things on legless people. One woman I saw interviewed had had a child, so obviously, she was "intact," so to speak, except for her legs. Kenny Easterday was interviewed on TV once, and asked (by an audience member) "How do you go to the bathroom?" He answered "Same as you." The interviewer said "You don't have a catheter?" and Kenny shook his head.

Legless people, from what I understand, have normal torsos, but what they often don't have is a pelvis-- or at least a normal-sized one. The result is that when they "sit," that is, rest on the end of their torso, they appear to have little body below the waist.

Kenny Easterday had his stunted legs removed not just because they were "useless," but because he had a spinal deformity, and doctors wanted to use his leg bones to build his back and ribage up. I'm not sure of the details of this.

Posts: 75 | From: Bloomington, IN | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemis:

Also, I felt really bad for that girl doing the pulling--you could tell she had no clue what had just happened.

Actually, when I watched the video the second time, it almost seems like the girl pulling the "top half" SLOWLY placed it down on the ground, at least a lot more gently than you would were you to have just "ripped someone in half." I would imagine that if I thought I was pulling someone apart, I would have just dropped the person's upper torso - actually, I might not even have pulled long enough to get the whole thing off the bench, let alone set it down in the grass. The girl pulling the bottom half is less noticeable, but IMO the people pulling were plants as well. I don't think you'd want to pull off a trick like that without everyone being involved.

Hell, everyone standing around watching could have been plants, too. It is, after all, TV. And an illusionist. We'd never know.

At any rate, it's obviously a trick.

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ParaDiddle:
A recently banned snopester uses the same name on a MB for magic enthusiasts. He started a thread using the same title as this one, then C&P'd a post I made earlier in this thread.

What galls me is that he's playing it off like he's the one that figured it out.

Scroll to the the 5th post after the OP
My original writing, posted three days before his.

- P

I'd go on there, sign up, and debunk his a$$. It may prove to be absolutely useless, but at least he may be wiser next time when stealing someone else's information.

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LemonLimeade
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LemonLimeade     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The first time I watched it, after the camera cut away, I said "Did he drape something on her? Wth?" But it was just the skirt, looking different (saw that the second time lol.) Also, I've seen that woman on lots of things, so I got that it was her when she ran off, but thought "Damn, what an awesome trick." Then after the explanation I realized the legs girl couldn't have pulled. And one by one the plausibility of the other witnesses fails heh. Which is pretty disappointing; really if the audience could have been fooled it would have been a most awesome illusion.

--------------------
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

Posts: 285 | From: Woodbridge, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages