snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Dan Whitney a.k.a. Larry the Cable Guy, before they were stars. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dan Whitney a.k.a. Larry the Cable Guy, before they were stars.
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2743413

Real or fake? I don't judge him either way, it just seems unlikely that he was able to undergo such a massive transformation without everybody knowing about it by now.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissBethie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissBethie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it's him. Just my opinion since I enjoy The Blue Collar Comedy Tour stuff. I don't thin he would have lasted so long with Jeff Foxworthy, Ron White and Bill Engvall.

--------------------
"Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?" --the Scarecrow

"The Christian Right is neither."

Posts: 72 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diehard
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diehard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a hard time believing that this is Larry the Cable Guy, his manerisms aren't even the same doesn't even sound or act any where near him(I watch him all the time). If this is him I am totally schocked, I could use some validation of this also.

--------------------
Daddy "You are my "Special Angel" 1942-1999"

Posts: 440 | From: Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheLazenby
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheLazenby   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheLazenby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a huge Larry fan, and that is DEFINITELY Larry. Not only does he look just like him, but he even uses Larry's jokes... he even still tells the joke about his grandma having worms.

So yes, that is Larry the Cable Guy.

--------------------
Rest in Peace, Charles Rocket 1949-2005

"On behalf of Gail Matthius and the entire Weekend Update news team, I'm Charles Rocket. Good night, and... watch out."

Posts: 140 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mama Fox
Newsqueak

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mama Fox   E-mail Mama Fox   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_the_Cable_Guy#Biography
There is a link at the bottom of the page that takes you to another site with the same video stating the same thing. He is still funny.

Posts: 12 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So far I see anecdotes and Wikipedia. While Wiki is a usually reliable source, one has to wonder sometimes if certain things like the external links are rigorously verified. Someone could very well have seen this link claimed to be Larry, and posted it on the Wiki article based on second-hand info. I have to wonder if there is any more verifiable proof, I'm going to check up on any official sites Larry might have. As for his mannerisms and jokes, yeah, they are the same, but that could very well be why the video was chosen. Well, at least the mannerisms, the same joke thing might just verify it, unless there's any way to check to see if it was dubbed over.

ETA - Shot off an email to larrythecableguy.com to see if he or his people have anything to say about it.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Even though the hair is different and his face was thinner he looks the same to me. Especially when he smiles.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree that it looks like him. The voice and mannerisms are the same, especially the way he holds his mouth.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
onein6billion
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onein6billion   E-mail onein6billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder how old that video is because I remember hearing him on 98Rock in Baltimore when I was a kid (maybe late 80s-early 90s?) I remember always thinking he was a diry old man and being shocked when I realized that he was relatively young and actually kinda good-looking.

--------------------
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
"Divorce is not caused because 50% of marriages end in gayness." - Jon Stewart
my space on myspace--now showing "80's Video Of The Week"

Posts: 278 | From: Bel Air, MD | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This Rolling Stone profile makes it pretty clear that Larry the Cable Guy is just a character, one of several he used to call in to radio shows and do in the early days.

I can see where if you believe that Larry is his actual persona that you would find it hard to believe that is him in the video, but it looks just like him to me and I don't even watch him that much.

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon Shadows
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon Shadows   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If that is NOT larry the cable guy--he needs to be making money as his twin. His mouth and smile are dead giveaways...

I would venture that is an EARLY pre-larry routine. I truly think it is him.

--------------------
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in hand, body thoroughly used up, and screaming WoW what a ride!

Posts: 2924 | From: Flori-duh | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kev:
This Rolling Stone profile makes it pretty clear that Larry the Cable Guy is just a character, one of several he used to call in to radio shows and do in the early days.

I can see where if you believe that Larry is his actual persona that you would find it hard to believe that is him in the video, but it looks just like him to me and I don't even watch him that much.

Well, my original opinion of Larry the Cable Guy was that he HAD to be just a character. He seems to be a pretty smart guy at times, and it doesn't seem like his Larry persona meshes at all with being smart, ever. But, then, several of his Blue Collar buddies have stated "Larry's not an act, he's like this all the time, etc. etc." So I don't know who to believe. Like I said, I don't care if it's an act or not, I'm just curious if there's any definitive proof that the video is Larry the Cable Guy. (And for some reason this video is being used to "call out" and insult Larry, which is something I can't quite understand. It seems like if this video is real, it gives him waayyy more credibility than he would have had otherwise. [Wink]

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

paisley claus
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paisley claus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
candy, I was gonig to mention his smile too...when he smiles really big and his face crinkles up and his eyes go all squinty... must be bizarro Larry the Cable Guy if it isn't really him!!

Isn't the first clue that it's a character the fact that he uses the name "Larry the Cable Guy"?????

--------------------
"Oh, now we're going to start judging each other on things we've done?? Real fair!"

Posts: 1114 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheLazenby

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheLazenby   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheLazenby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't bother emailing Larrythecableguy.com - if it involves something where he's out of character, you won't get a reply. Trust me; even asking him his last name won't get a reply.

I'd like to see more of that performance though; I doubt he'd let it be released on a DVD or something because of his 'new persona', but it's still funny. :-)

--------------------

"On behalf of Gail Matthius and the entire Weekend Update news team, I'm Charles Rocket. Good night, and... watch out."

Posts: 140 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Robofication, Lightly Roasted
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robofication, Lightly Roasted     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, this guy reminds me of the Lil' Markey singer. I wish I had a link to the video, but they look the same in khaki's. *shudder*

--------------------
"As convenient as it may be, it's time I started taking responsibility for the messes I've created instead of always blaming everything on the law of entropy"

Posts: 453 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Franny
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Franny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Topic: Dan Whitney a.k.a. Larry the Cable Guy, before they were stars
Question: When the hell did Larry the Cable Guy become a star?

I am a media junkie and while I am aware of who he is, its kinda in the same way I know who kathy griffin is.

--------------------
I've been waiting here for like 20 minutes.

"It's you, but distilled into one place." - JK. http://www.theheldhand.blogspot.com/

Posts: 505 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

Larry the Cable Guy became a pretty big star after the very successful "Blue Collar Comedy Tour Movie". Especially after it was shown on Comedy Central. It's still one of their top rated movies/shows of all time, IIRC.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

TheLazenby

Kind of sad that you can buy official Larry t-shirts at dollar stores now though... (I'm even more upset that I paid 25 bucks for the same damn shirt at his concert! [Wink] )

--------------------

Midgard_Dragon

Considering Larry's main audience is low or middle income people who are generally going to be in dollars store in the first place (don't take that as derision, either, I shop at dollar stores myself, and am quite low income) I'd say selling the shirts at dollar stores (and truckstops, and gas stations, etc.) is a very wise idea.

*still waiting for the sleeveless flannel shirt line to hit it big at Wal-Mart* [Big Grin]

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

peculiar hailstone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peculiar hailstone   E-mail peculiar hailstone   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the funniest thing is that some people refuse to believe it's him because their hearts will be broken to discover that "Larry the Cable Guy" is just a character, and not the actual redneck that they think points out all the things that they, as rednecks, encounter. He's kinda like Jerry seinfeld with the "did you ever notice?" schtick. Except he's usally talking about stuff rednecks understand.

--------------------
my wife made me join a bridge club. I jump off next Tuesday...

Posts: 121 | From: St. Catharines, Ontario | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, the comedian David Cross kinda seems to take Larry's personality seriously too, did anyone see his article last year in the Rolling Stone? Even Lewis Black, who strangely enough wrote the introduction to larry's book knows that he's not actually like that. I'm not a fan of Larry, but I like David and Lewis. Just my two cents

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HSSenior:
Yeah, the comedian David Cross kinda seems to take Larry's personality seriously too, did anyone see his article last year in the Rolling Stone? Even Lewis Black, who strangely enough wrote the introduction to larry's book knows that he's not actually like that. I'm not a fan of Larry, but I like David and Lewis. Just my two cents

Cross knows Larry isn't dumb and he knows that's not his "real" personality. He was criticizing the act, not the man's real personality. Basically what Cross is saying is that just because you act dumb doesn't mean you have a license to actively promote bigotry and stupidity, isn't it? Here's more he wrote in an open letter:
http://www.bobanddavid.com/david.asp?artID=183

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ohh... my apologies..hheh..heh

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evil Monkey
"Repaint and thin no more!"

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evil Monkey   E-mail Evil Monkey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I personally think Larry the Cable Guy is hilarious. I have to admit, he is an amalgam of a lot of people I grew up with. I'm considered to be in the south.

I am sure it is him. Not only in the resemblences, but if you notice his jokes have the same rhythm as his jokes now. The setup and punchline, especially the fast laughter afterwards.

I kept expecting him to say "Lord I Apologize" after every joke.

Anyway, thats my input.

--------------------
When did they change the meaning of "for" to "from"? They had a meeting about it last night. They sent you a card, but it said "for Peter" on it so you must of thought it was from you, so you didn't... , its just easier to call you stupid

Posts: 4 | From: Asheville, NC | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Thera
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thera   E-mail Thera   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a thread on Straight Dope that goes into a little more detail and people seem to know more about his real past. Apparently he grew up rich in Palm Beach Florida and therefore doesn't quite "count" as Southern, and additionally went to fancy prep schools/colleges, which is probably why people are up in arms about it. (Real southerners don't really count Florida as part of The South.)

I'm from the South and can somewhat understand it - after all, the other Blue Collar people really came from the South and therefore are making fun of themselves and their culture. Whereas Dan Whitney / Larry is making fun of Southerners while not being one.

As for the video, it's clearly him. I'm a fan, and that's his mannerisms, his laugh, his voice, and his grandmother joke, told the same way as Larry tells it. He just put on weight, added the accent and clothing, and voila.

Posts: 100 | From: Georgia | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheLazenby

"We put my grandma in a home for people with Alzheimer's called 'Eh?' Lord, I apologize for makin' the joke about the Alzheimers... be with the starvin' pygmies down there in New Guinea, amen."

I wonder when 'Git-R-Done' came about? [Smile]

--------------------

Freshman
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Thera:
There's a thread on Straight Dope that goes into a little more detail and people seem to know more about his real past. Apparently he grew up rich in Palm Beach Florida and therefore doesn't quite "count" as Southern, and additionally went to fancy prep schools/colleges, which is probably why people are up in arms about it. (Real southerners don't really count Florida as part of The South.)

I'm from the South and can somewhat understand it - after all, the other Blue Collar people really came from the South and therefore are making fun of themselves and their culture. Whereas Dan Whitney / Larry is making fun of Southerners while not being one.

As for the video, it's clearly him. I'm a fan, and that's his mannerisms, his laugh, his voice, and his grandmother joke, told the same way as Larry tells it. He just put on weight, added the accent and clothing, and voila.

I though he was from nebraska

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Thera
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thera   E-mail Thera   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know, word on Straight Dope last I checked was Florida.
Posts: 100 | From: Georgia | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thera:
I don't know, word on Straight Dope last I checked was Florida.

If you read the Wiki article, it seems he was born in Nebraska but moved to Florida where he got his start in radio. Makes sense, and fits with what the other articles have said. The Rolling Stone article includes the following:
quote:
Dan Whitney grew up in Nebraska on a pig farm. When he was sixteen, his family moved to Florida. His father was a preacher who once played guitar with the Everly Brothers. In 1986, Dan tried local stand-up on a dare. Two years later, he started calling in to a Tampa radio station as various characters: an old Jewish lady, a swishy gay man and Larry.
You keep mentioning a page on The Straight Dope - I looked and couldn't find it. Could you provide a link or something so we can check it out ourselves?

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheLazenby:
"Lord, I apologize for makin' the joke about the Alzheimers... be with the starvin' pygmies down there in New Guinea, amen."

That gag right there just gets old with me in his act. I don't know why, but it annoys me something awful.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 102 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Several other snopesters have already said they believe it was him, but IMDB says it's the same guy also.

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Thera
I Saw Three Shipments

Sorry, my membership expired and I can't search the forums. I did look through all 8 pages that I could see in Cafe Society, but couldn't find it.

I'll take the wiki's word for it. [Smile]

TheLazenby

STF, I'm the same way with Ron White. That guy is completely unable to write new material - we get it! They call you Tater Salad!

And for that matter, the story about getting in trouble with the cops and calling himself Tater Salad never actually happened...

--------------------

Zabia
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zabia   E-mail Zabia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is not really not to be snarfy, more just sorta smartassed.

But an untrue funny story in a standup routine. That is just unbelieveable.

I'll take a laugh, even if I've heard it a few times over reality anyday.

--------------------
We frettered around like farm animals, looking around for formulas and father figures. -Twilight Zone

Posts: 425 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aw, the Tater Salad thing will crack me up forever [Big Grin] I love Ron White.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages