snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Squirrel in a Sweater

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Squirrel in a Sweater
Anyte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Anyte   E-mail Anyte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From CuteOverload.com
http://tinyurl.com/nvk6e

There is some debate in the comments there on the veracity of the photo. Certainly there are risks involved in dressing wildlife, so the question is: is it real? Is it photoshop? Is it *gasp* taxidermy?

--------------------
Too broke to pay attention

Posts: 452 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It possibly real. One of my coworkers some years ago. Ran a home to save young squerals that fell out of trees. A couple of them were somewhat tamed. They had a tendency to bite when were scared of something or you hurt them in someway. Most of the time they were fine around the their caretaker.
Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ariadne
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariadne   E-mail Ariadne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks a bit fishy to me, but I'm not sure why. I think it just looks too perfect; there are no wrinkles or anything in the sweater and it follows the shape of the squirrel perfectly.

Cute picture, though.

When I was a grad student at the University of Colorado I used to share my daily peanut butter sandwich with the squirrels. They would come up and eat out of my hand and sometimes I could pat their little heads while they were eating. So cute!

--------------------
saxea ut effigies bacchantis prospicit eheu | prospicit et magnis curarum fluctuat undis
-Catullus

Posts: 435 | From: Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's nitted so it's hard to actually tell from the photograph.

Although I would think the idiots putting it on the squirrel would need a couple rabies shots after fighting to put the sweater on.

Maybe it's a statue that looks lifelike to avoid rabies contamination?

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I doubt that's real. The squirrels on our nature trail all wear black leather jackets with lots of chrome studs.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Megan'sMom
Deck the Malls

Icon 401 posted      Profile for Megan'sMom   E-mail Megan'sMom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a picture of Twiggy, the water-skiing squirrel wearing his life jacket. I suppose it's possible the squirrel in the OP was "tamed" enough for clothing.

--------------------
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of --
but do it in private, and wash your hands afterwards.

- Lazarus Long

Posts: 300 | From: Waldorf, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's crocheted, not knitted, so it has a more "firm" texture than a knitted item and wouldn't have much wrinkling. I crochet, and the way that curves around his knee is how I would expect a real crocheted item to act.

We had a wild (probably hand reared) squirrel near our old apartment that would run up to be fed if you clicked your tongue at him. The first time I did it, it was instinctual, and I nearly crapped myself as he ran at me. I thought for a moment he was rabid or something and was going to run up my leg. He just stood with his paws up at me. We later got some peanuts for him, and he would take them from your hand. Somewhere around here, I have a pic of him taking a peanut from my mouth. It looks a little fake, because it's so weird for a squirrel to do, but it just took a lot of takes. One time I didn't release it from my teeth fast enough for him, and he swiped my cheek with his little hand to get me to let go.

I think it's entirely likely the squirrel is a hand raised, young squirrel wearing an actual crocheted sweater.

ETA: Sugar Bush Squirrel is live and wears clothes http://www.sugarbushsquirrel.com/

Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Squirrels do not have to be hand-reared to approach people; all it takes is feeding them regularly. I say the picture is real,you can see the way the skin is bunched up around the chin and arms by the stiff sweater. As has been pointed out, squirrels are not very hard to tame if you find an injured or orphan baby. I have known several tame squirrels, and one tame flying squirrel: they were all delightful little creature, except for the tendency to nip when stressed. I think it would be a simple matter to accustom a tame squirrel to clothes.

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ratboy
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ratboy   E-mail Ratboy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How often do squirrels have their tails across their backs like that? Am I the only one who thinks that looks a bit unnatural?
Posts: 144 | From: Sweden | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wish You Were Her:
How often do squirrels have their tails across their backs like that?

Basically every time they sit like that, grey squirrels hold their tails up like that or twitch it around, curled up behind them.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
I doubt that's real. The squirrels on our nature trail all wear black leather jackets with lots of chrome studs.

Ivy League squirrels usually tie their sweaters around their waists.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree it's probably a tame squirrel. I've known several people who have had squirrels for pets... If they are raised from babies they can be pretty friendly. You can also find people who breed and raise squirrels (example.)

A friend of mine recently took in two orphaned squirrels, and they were fed by hand and never tried to bite or anything... They wanted to release them into the wild eventually. Unfortunately one of them was released too soon and suffered some injuries which ended up being fatal [Frown]

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oceanic Aura
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oceanic Aura   Author's Homepage   E-mail Oceanic Aura   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This pic is real. Here's the artist's deviantart account: www.deviantart.com/deviation/27699853/

In other news, Cute Overload meets Snopes! My two favorite websites, meeting in perfect synergy for one beautiful moment. Ah, the happiness. Furthermore, that link was found by the fabulous Jen and Theo. I'm not that good.

Aura

--------------------
"Are we talking misdemeanor trouble or squeal like a pig trouble?"

Posts: 618 | From: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms Congeniality
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms Congeniality   E-mail Ms Congeniality   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That looks SO real!! But how you get a knitted sweater on even a TAME squirrel is beyond me1

--------------------
Queen of Confusion

Posts: 311 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ariadne
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariadne   E-mail Ariadne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am glad that it is real; I like the idea of a pet/tame squirrel. They are so cute and funny.

--------------------
saxea ut effigies bacchantis prospicit eheu | prospicit et magnis curarum fluctuat undis
-Catullus

Posts: 435 | From: Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FireSpook
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FireSpook   E-mail FireSpook   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess it's nutts are cold...

--------------------
WARNING
The message above may have statements that only make sense in this user's mind.

Read at your own risk.

Posts: 667 | From: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oceanic Aura:
This pic is real. Here's the artist's deviantart account: www.deviantart.com/deviation/27699853/

In other news, Cute Overload meets Snopes! My two favorite websites, meeting in perfect synergy for one beautiful moment. Ah, the happiness. Furthermore, that link was found by the fabulous Jen and Theo. I'm not that good.

Aura

What am I missing? How does the fact that the photo is on DeviantArt prove that it's real- aside from taking the guy's word for it?

I noticed is says "Squirrel in Sweater Part Trois" so I looked for part un and deux and came up with nothing but cartoons.

ETA: Neeeevermind... found the other pics.

http://www.deviantart.com/print/316297/

http://www.deviantart.com/print/316303/

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still not seeing where the artist says that the pics are real. Note the different sweaters in each squirrel pic - someone made three tiny sweaters and put each on the squirrel(s)?

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bthyb:
I'm still not seeing where the artist says that the pics are real. Note the different sweaters in each squirrel pic - someone made three tiny sweaters and put each on the squirrel(s)?

Somewhere I saw where he has other pictures of the squirrel, apparently a pet.
Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pondicherry Pi
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pondicherry Pi   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pondicherry Pi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bthyb:

Scroll down one the first link and read the comments. The artist says his/her stepmother made the sweaters and seems to indicate the squirrel is a pet.

--------------------
If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

What the NFBSK is Glurge? Or, a link to Snopes Lingo

Posts: 218 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, now I saw the comment.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mairzydotes
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mairzydotes   Author's Homepage   E-mail mairzydotes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's no worse than the skunk in this getup...

http://admin.webpointusa.com/images/customers/191046/storage/111.jpg

--------------------
I used to think the brain was the most fascinating part of the body. Then I realized, look what's telling me that. -Emo Philips

Posts: 36 | From: Chicago | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages