snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Superman T-shirt...wait, WHAT?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Superman T-shirt...wait, WHAT?
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Previews Magazine, June 2006, Page 399

A scan from a catalog showing a Superman t-shirt...and a very unfortunate choice of tagline.

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Out of the Blue
This Akagai's in Love with You

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Out of the Blue   E-mail Out of the Blue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bwahah ha ha ha!

I mean... that's offensive and wrong!

[lol]

--------------------
[witty comment or quote] [link to blog]
[link to picture of me/my dog/my cat/my kid]
[quote of an obscure anime show typed in Japanese characters]

Posts: 221 | From: Genoa, Illinois | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Toys for big boys.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toys for big boys.     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Like the people there said, why did nobody spot it before it went to print?

I shouldnt laugh, but I am.

--------------------
I am not taking lectures on physics from a man in tights.

Posts: 236 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spc. Sharki
Deck the Malls

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Spc. Sharki   E-mail Spc. Sharki   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yikes! I thought I was a bad copy editor.

--------------------
Let your TV bleed- Tom Petty

Posts: 329 | From: Wiesbaden, Germany | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jdmarlin06
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdmarlin06     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[Eek!] Sadly I know many people that would be more likely to buy that shirt now
Posts: 89 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dfresh
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfresh   E-mail dfresh   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This makes me feel a lot better about my putting "the the" in a report.
I am sure a long chain of people are now wondering how they missed it, and how to avoid the blame.

Posts: 420 | From: Oxford, PA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you questioning whether or not image is real or whether it is actually from Previews Magazine?

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to be a doubting doubter, but the "S" on the uniform is yellow... and on this tee-shirt it is white.

It very well COULD be a new symbol of "White Power"... and we are out of it... kinda like when I found out that blue bandanas could get me into trouble in other parts of the country...

Superman was a "super" man, and the yellow "S" was his symbol... so if "we white-folk" are "super" men, why not use a white "S"??

I dunno - I'm just thinkin'...

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The symbol isn't always red and yellow. It's been different colors in the past (anyone remember Supe's black suit with the silver "s" after he "came back" from the "dead"?)

This silver one has also been around for a while in association with Superman Returns - http://www.geocities.com/midgard_dragon99/superman_symbol.jpg

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Anyte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anyte   E-mail Anyte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The S itself is usually red, and the background of the sheild yellow.
This website has a nice collection of images of various costumes, including the black and silver.
http://www.kal-el.org/suit.html

After you get past the shock of the White Power headline, the first line of actual copy reads "The Power of the Man" It makes me think that it was done intentionally. Perhaps written that way intentionally, with the assumption that it would be caught before it went to print?

--------------------
Too broke to pay attention

Posts: 452 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 84 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Perhaps written that way intentionally, with the assumption that it would be caught before it went to print?
Perhaps it was written that way intentionally, period. They offend a few people, but they get free publicity and maybe sell a bunch of shirts.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Superman's daddy wore all white with a silver S if I am not mistaken in Superman the primere.

Although his true calling in Smallville is an eight figure surrounded by the same shield, he uses his daddy's symbol instead when he gets in a navy blue suit with a red S surrounded with yellow outline.

But because Superman the tv series was black and white so was superman's outfit throughout the short period.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:
But because Superman the tv series was black and white so was superman's outfit throughout the short period.

Beginning in 1954, the episodes were filmed in color, even though there were few if any color TVs on the market at that stage of the game. From the third season on, the suit was blue, red, and yellow. For the two earliest (b&w) seasons, the Supe-suit was gray, the cape and S brown, and the "yellow" trim was white. Years ago I saw one of these suits, by then very shabby indeed, on display at a science-fiction con and remember thinking how weird the faded colors looked.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
oh dear..

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anyte:
The S itself is usually red, and the background of the sheild yellow.
This website has a nice collection of images of various costumes, including the black and silver.
http://www.kal-el.org/suit.html

Actually, it doesn't have the black and silver I'm referring to. The one I mean is here.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now I am sure if the tagline had said "Black Power" it wouldn't have even raised an eyebrow.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
...and?

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it would matter even if he was wearing a bandana and his shirt was a peace sign with colorful rainbow and he was smoking a drag while flying.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Now I am sure if the tagline had said "Black Power" it wouldn't have even raised an eyebrow.
Not that I disagree with you in the point you are making perse, however I think since "white power" has far more racist, bigoted and even violent connotations then "black power" there is a resonable difference, not to mention the phrase "black power" dosnt' seem all that popular but "white power" has been going strong since at least the KKK's conception.

Sort of like, and I apologize for the use of this odious word, the word "nigger" has more reaction then the word "cracker".. They are both racial slurs but one simply has more history of negativity then the other.

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages