snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Missing link, feral child photo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Missing link, feral child photo
DougW
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 218 posted      Profile for DougW     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
 -

A friend sent me this picture. He was told by the person who e-mailed it to him that it was supposed to be of a wild, or feral child found in a jungle somewhere that was paraded around in a side show as the missing link.

At first glance it seemed like a photoshop job, but the more I look at it, the more it looks like a real photo.

Does anyone have any clue as to its origins, or know if it is shopped or not?

Posts: 154 | From: NewCastle, DE | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it's photoshop, it's just a purposeful weird position to make the child look less human. It was hard for people to look at the freaks in the freakshow if they were made too aware of their humanity, I think. It looks to me like a young member of the "wolfboy" or "dogboy" family from Mexico. Perhaps a girl, because the females in the family don't tend to have full facial covering.

I have seen documentaries before about the two brothers from the family who work as high flyers in a circus. They seem pretty happy and well adjusted. Then recently, I saw another documentary about one of their cousins. He was unable to find a job because of his full-facial hair growth. Apparently in Mexico, they are more blatant about wanting you to look a certain way, even if you aren't dealing with customers. He was turned down for construction jobs as well as office jobs, just because of the hair. Anyway, after going several places, and getting rejected, he went with his aunt to have his face shaved. I never thought he looked like a freak with the hair on his face (I personally find it somewhat attractive), but he sure did look like one when they were done shaving him. They did a scary job with his "eyebrows", and because the skin is so thin, they had to leave the hair around his eyes. Not to mention his entire face had a grey cast, like 5-o'clock shadow all over.

But, he went back to one of the offices that refused him before, and they hired him. It's pretty sad. Not that he got a job, but that he had to change his outward appearance to look more "normal" before he could get it.

Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jasini
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasini   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jasini   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My guess would be posed, rather than photoshopped. The kid's obviously wearing a body-suit of some kind, and a fur hat that fastens under the chin. YMMV

--------------------
Jasini

Where there's a will, there's an or.
--Col. Jack O'Neill, SG1

Posts: 71 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The picture is rather famous in it's own right, I've seen it quite a few times. I'll try and hunt down some info if I can find my sideshow books

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
martin-at-work

Icon 1 posted      Profile for martin-at-work   E-mail martin-at-work   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mags:
Then recently, I saw another documentary about one of their cousins. He was unable to find a job because of his full-facial hair growth.

I saw that show. I missed the beginning of it, but was his nickname really "Chuy"? They kept calling him that through the show

Also in that show was a kid who had stunted growth. The family name was "Yoder".

Posts: 183 | From: Brisbane, Oz. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLockeout   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by martin-at-work:
quote:
Then recently, I saw another documentary about one of their cousins. He was unable to find a job because of his full-facial hair growth.

I saw that show. I missed the beginning of it, but was his nickname really "Chuy"? They kept calling him that through the show

Also in that show was a kid who had stunted growth. The family name was "Yoder".

An Amish family who did carpentry work for my grandfather had the last name of "Yoder". Apparently up there (western NY) it was pretty common.

--------------------
Katesune: We still can't find the way to albuquerque, and glisp won't stop to ask for directions.
Glisp42: Of course not. I know where I'm going, I just don't know where I am right now

Twisted Links

Posts: 2599 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mommyrex
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mommyrex     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jasini:
My guess would be posed, rather than photoshopped. The kid's obviously wearing a body-suit of some kind, and a fur hat that fastens under the chin. YMMV

At first I thought that was the rolling cuff of a tight sleeve, but now I think it's a bracelet at the wrist, and just skin (and hair) everywhere else. The "fur hat" would have to have ears or earholes. I'm not saying it's an unembellished person or photo. Just that I'm more inclined to believe it's a naked, furry child than a costumed one.

--------------------
We also ask that you follow the guidelines above and try not to over-think these guidelines.
- the transportation safety administration's permitted and prohibited items air travel list

Posts: 240 | From: Kansas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mommyrex
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mommyrex     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Found a linky for you ...

http://freaks.monstrous.com/famous_freaks.htm#_Toc12892770

--------------------
We also ask that you follow the guidelines above and try not to over-think these guidelines.
- the transportation safety administration's permitted and prohibited items air travel list

Posts: 240 | From: Kansas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mommyrex
Deck the Malls

There's a little more information on their guide to sidewhow freaks page, under "Missing Link":

quote:
Krao Farini, a young woman found in the Laotian jungle in 1885 had some simian characteristics, flexible arms and a hairy body.

--------------------

Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by martin-at-work:

Chuy is a common nickname for Jesus. Is the show you watched It's Not Easy Being a Wolf Boy?

The most famous persons with hypertrichosis are probably Danny and Larry Gomez.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dlloyd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dlloyd     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Real ordinary person with hypertrichosis. Original photo is posed to make her look a bit simian. She was an exhibit in a freakshow around the time Darwin's Origin of Species had initially caught the public imagination.

Here's a later photo of her...

-

Posts: 99 | From: Dundee | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DougW

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DougW     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, thanks guys. I guess it is a real picture. I think it just the pose that makes it, to me at least, scream photo shop as soon as I look at it.
Posts: 154 | From: NewCastle, DE | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
a bit TMI....

but I actually find people with hypertrichosis quite attractive.

And I would kill to have my hair that long. The longest I ever got was just short of waist length.

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But, he went back to one of the offices that refused him before, and they hired him. It's pretty sad. Not that he got a job, but that he had to change his outward appearance to look more "normal" before he could get it.

Actually the manager said "He would like to discuss it more" with Chuy,wich translates to me as trying to be nice while in front of the camera,but I'm sure he got turned down once the filming was over.If anything he looked more normal with the facial hair

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
but I actually find people with hypertrichosis quite attractive.
Now I don't feel quite so embarrassed about my crush on those cavemen in the Geiko commercials.
Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LadyLockeout:
An Amish family who did carpentry work for my grandfather had the last name of "Yoder". Apparently up there (western NY) it was pretty common.

Yoder is an extremely common name among the Amish.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lizzy
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lizzy   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe that image was published in a book called "Very Special People" by Frederick Drimmer.

--------------------
"Do you see me now? I'm like a fireball . . . with these shoulder pads I have the strength to destroy villages, homes and crops. GEM SWEATER!"

Posts: 72 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages