snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » French gymnast springs a leak (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: French gymnast springs a leak
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
Everything else aside, is it even possible to pee in a situation like that?

For some people, getting nervous results in a need to eliminate waste.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hudders
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hudders   Author's Homepage   E-mail hudders   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
just something out of focus in the background.

Which is where my vote ultimately goes, discussions about urinary incontinence aside. [Big Grin]
Posts: 81 | From: Bourne, UK | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Her clothing appears to be drenched with seat. So I think there's plenty of it there to sprinkle around a bit. I'm going with the sweat theory. Of course, if it is pee, what an incredibly intersting story this is... not.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Unbroken got it right on the 2nd post to this thread. This pic and article is from a UK lad's mag, and is therefore probably not fake, but the sentiment probably is.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hey You
Baby 100 Grand

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hey You     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel sorry for the girl, isn't she like 17 or 18? No matter if the photo is fake or not, it can't be fun having a big pic like that in a magazine.
Posts: 20 | From: Sweden | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wishful Goddess
Fighting Irish Stew

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wishful Goddess         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's the original picture, since the magazine scan isn't such high quality.
 -

It was posted at Getty Images (it is still up on GI, so click here to see.) back in November and has been discussed quite a bit on gymnastics message boards. Some say it could be rhinestones from her leotard, some say it could be something in the stands in the background... a lot of people, myself included, believe that it is exactly what it looks like. Unfortunately, this picture was taken during a competition that there are no known videos of so we can't know what really happened.

Posts: 1 | From: Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it's something in the stand. It's not blurred enough. Her feet are blurred more.

--------------------

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

Stress Incontinence.

--------------------

Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What about sweat? If it were pee, it's have to be coming out pretty strongly to make a stream. People splash sweat around all the time in situations like this, probably hundreds of times more than pee. So which is more likely?
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wishful Goddess:
Some say it could be rhinestones from her leotard,

That would be an interesting place for a single strand of rhinestones...
Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't think it's something in the stand. It's not blurred enough. Her feet are blurred more.
Different blurs. Background is out of focus, the feet is motion blur.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
What about sweat? If it were pee, it's have to be coming out pretty strongly to make a stream. People splash sweat around all the time in situations like this, probably hundreds of times more than pee. So which is more likely?

For sweat those are some pretty big beads.

Also for sweat to splash I'd think it would have to be from an area that's gathered alot of sweat (i.e. from one's hair or perhaps the hairline or the like). Not sure the thighs or crotch is a place that sweat slashes around from.

And I'd thing it's definately coming out forcefully, either from the jolt to her body from the event she's taking part in- especially feasible if she's been trying to hold it in.

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Turban Man
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turban Man     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well lets see...

-We can rule out pee because it would be obstructed by the suit.

-I don't think it's somthing in the crowd because the crowd seems quite close and what could it possibly be that close?

-Most likley not sweat because the sweat would not arch.

So, its probobly either an illusion of some sort or a shopped photo

--------------------
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T,

Posts: 140 | From: Hollywood, Florida | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Turban Man:
Well lets see...

IMO, It cannot be ruled out. If the fabric were totally soakes, it may not retard the stream as much as we might think.
quote:

-I don't think it's somthing in the crowd because the crowd seems quite close and what could it possibly be that close?

-Most likley not sweat because the sweat would not arch.

It would if it were coming off of her while she was moving. In other words, the sweat isn't arcing - she is.
quote:

So, its probobly either an illusion of some sort or a shopped photo

It could also be a reflection of some kind giving the illusion that it is something in the photo.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Turban Man

I've seen with my own eyes that pee can stream through denim, so I wouldn't think spandex would really be stronger.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Turban Man
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 208 posted      Profile for Turban Man     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, ok you all have gotten me to do a test. I took some spandex into my bathroom and tried to squirt a stream of seady WATER (not urine) through it. The spandex just got wet and rickishead all of the water onto my rug. So I conquer that the spandex will obstruct a flow of steady liquid.

Turban "yes, I do own spandex" Man

--------------------
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T,

Posts: 140 | From: Hollywood, Florida | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Sweat arches when you're rotating, as she is. And sweat beads are just as large as pee beads so long as there is plenty of it. I sweat just like that when I play sports and large beads fly off. (I get drenched.) Her suit appears to be wet. Is that just a shiny surface? If not, she's got plenty of sweat on her body and clothing to allow some to splash off. As for the location, it's just where I would expect sweat to gather on that type of clothing, at a point where it has nowhere to go but to drip off.
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ok, ok you all have gotten me to do a test. I took some spandex into my bathroom and tried to squirt a stream of seady WATER (not urine) through it. The spandex just got wet and rickishead all of the water onto my rug. So I conquer that the spandex will obstruct a flow of steady liquid.

Was the source of the water stream touching the spandex surface, or was it being sprayed from a distance? Because when I tested a steady stream of water through a swimsuit, with the tap touching the suit, the water goes straight through without any ricochet action at all.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would say on a spandex suit, it would be touching.

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To clarify, I am asking Turban Man if his water source was touching the spandex he used for his experiment quoted above. I am definitely not asking if the gymnast's spandex suit was touching her skin in the OP.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
if you think about the way she has to launch herself, you can see how she might have forced a bit out... normal weeing requires relaxed muscles, but getting everything out (hello cystitis. no, i don't want to be back in the loo in 5 minutes' time) needs a bit of..er...force. like having a baby, i guess.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

quote:

Turban "yes, I do own spandex" Man

I did a test as well using a squirt gun. I tried various degrees of squirts and the only ones that didn't actually stream through the fabric where the one's where I was barely trying. Obviously a squirt gun does not equate a urethra but I find it quite possible that it was urine given the results of my test. At the very least I agree that urine is certainly not ruled out. If a chick can pee a stream 6 feet out (and I guarentee they can) then I have no doubt that a little bit of material like spandex is going to keep a few tinkles from shooting out. Just the right amount of pressure on the bladder and voila- squirt!

BTW- what were your creating your stream with?

Mr. Baggins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Baggins   E-mail Mr. Baggins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, people, you're not trying hard enough. Someone has to pee while wearing a leotard. We all know it's going to happen eventually, so who says me? (C'mon, the Mythbusters would be so proud).

I'd do it, but as a male I don't have the necessary equipment for a definitive test. Any girl takers? It's for science, you know...

--------------------
"The system would also let you send your picture and contact details to a rough trade gay contact mailing list saying you like to be surprised with power tools in a non-consensual role play scenario – but that doesn’t mean you SHOULD do it.!"

Posts: 298 | From: Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Baggins:

I'd do it, but as a male I don't have the necessary equipment for a definitive test.

But it would be a start- go for it! [Wink]
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, firstly, it seems possible to me that a stream of urine might be able to get through the spandex with that force, if Candy from Strangers' friend could get a stream through denim.

But, even if it didn't happen that way, the leg-holes are probably elastic, which would mean that any sweat or urine might collect near the bottom of her leotard. Then when she extended her body a bit more, it would be stretched a bit vertically, possibly forcing collected fluid to "squirt" out from under the elastic. Add to that a flipping motion, and you get an arc.

Well, maybe it's possible, anyway.
~Bee

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mairzydotes
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mairzydotes   Author's Homepage   E-mail mairzydotes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a story from experience. When I was little, 5 or 6, I was babysat by a Korean woman who had a kiddie pool in the backyard of her apartment building. I would play with her daughters, and one day we were in the pool and the other girls decided to, instead of run up to the apartment to pee, just hop out of the pool, sort of squat, and pee through their bathing suits in the grass.

Well, as a small child it horrified me that they would do this, but I remember the urine stream flowing through their bathing suits.

So there, you have further evidence. [Smile]

--------------------
I used to think the brain was the most fascinating part of the body. Then I realized, look what's telling me that. -Emo Philips

Posts: 36 | From: Chicago | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by mairzydotes:
I have a story from experience. When I was little, 5 or 6, I was babysat by a Korean woman who had a kiddie pool in the backyard of her apartment building. I would play with her daughters, and one day we were in the pool and the other girls decided to, instead of run up to the apartment to pee, just hop out of the pool, sort of squat, and pee through their bathing suits in the grass.

Well, as a small child it horrified me that they would do this, but I remember the urine stream flowing through their bathing suits.

So there, you have further evidence. [Smile]

That horrified you? Heck, you're lucky they even got out of the pool first...when I was that age I rarely did. [Big Grin]
Mr. Baggins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Baggins   E-mail Mr. Baggins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow... you're lucky you never got caught. They put something in pool that makes urine glow orange, you know

--------------------
"The system would also let you send your picture and contact details to a rough trade gay contact mailing list saying you like to be surprised with power tools in a non-consensual role play scenario – but that doesn’t mean you SHOULD do it.!"

Posts: 298 | From: Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr. Baggins, he's even luckier he isn't a chimera. According to the artcle it sounds like I'm the substance that gets pissed on.

Chim (I'd rather be pissed off than pissed on) era

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by candy from strangers:
quote:
posted by Turban Man

I've seen with my own eyes that pee can stream through denim, so I wouldn't think spandex would really be stronger.
Uhm...oh, nevermind.

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well it would rule out "Under Armour" since they would contain most of your sweat wearing their gear unless of course you sat down and pressed your back against a fabric chair in most male suits.

Could always be an accident that she forgot to goto the bathroom before getting on stage and it was too late to go. It is a live performance after all with millions of fans watching, she can't just say I gotta go peepee first. [lol]

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shotie
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shotie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't buy that it's pee. Even if the suit were soaked, I doubt it would have beaded like that.

But sweat beads *exactly* like that, and it's arcing wtih her body, like it's been spun off and away.

I just doubt it's urine. I'm leaning more towards the sweat idea.

Posts: 12 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why would urine "bead" differently? I seriously doubt the impurities would affect the surface tension of the water, since that is all both sweat and urine are. Do you have a cite to show (or even suggest) that urine behaves differently than sweat?

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Baggins:
Wow... you're lucky you never got caught. They put something in pool that makes urine glow orange, you know

Yeah I know- I stopped when I read that a couple years ago. [Wink]

and...

quote:
Originally posted by Shotie:
I don't buy that it's pee. Even if the suit were soaked, I doubt it would have beaded like that.

But sweat beads *exactly* like that, and it's arcing wtih her body, like it's been spun off and away.

I just doubt it's urine. I'm leaning more towards the sweat idea.

I agree- I doubt fluid that was on her or her leotard would bead like that, but fluid that was shooting out of her would...
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geminilee:
Do you have a cite to show (or even suggest) that urine behaves differently than sweat?

You know, before I joined Snopes I would have found that sort of comment highly odd. Now, i find myself thinking "i wonder if anyone's done a study?"
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages