snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Potty-mouthed preacher video. NFBSK NSFW

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Potty-mouthed preacher video. NFBSK NSFW
DougW
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DougW     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://tinyurl.com/pqcy2
(NFBSK and NSFW due to foul language)

Does anyone have any clue as to this video's origins? I want to think it is a joke, but the guy seems serious.

It is a video of a preacher cursing and swearing, mostly saying G-D, MF, biotch, (he actually says biotch [Smile] ) and the N word.

It has a public access channel feel to it.

Posts: 154 | From: NewCastle, DE | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara R.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara R.   E-mail Barbara R.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What kind of preacher could he possibly be? What Christian leader would use words like that? He's no doubt a fake!

Barbara R.

Posts: 378 | From: Boonville, Missouri USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's a fake too. My phone shows area codes if you just input a # and it came up as CA

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DougW
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DougW     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barbara R.:
What kind of preacher could he possibly be? What Christian leader would use words like that? He's no doubt a fake!

Barbara R.

I tend to think it is fake too. I have seen some horrible sermons like this on public access though. One I remember particularly was a few years ago here in Delaware, it was an older preacher and he was actually in front of a congregation that was really into what he was saying. He was preaching about lesbians, and he kept calling them 'bull-daggers.' He was saying things like, "There are bull-daggers in the church! Yes, right in the church! Look around you, some of the sisters you see here tonight are bull-daggers in disguise! They don't want to cook or clean or take care of their families because they are too busy out running around with their bull-dagger girlfriends! If you pray, the bull-daggers will be revealed to you! Your wife, your mama, your sister might be a bull-dagger and you don't even know it!"

He was really worked up about it.

Posts: 154 | From: NewCastle, DE | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bull-dagger? What does that have to do with being a lesbian (or, as a friend of mine called herself "a practitioner in the lesbian arts" for some reason that makes me hysterical)?

I think this is a fake as well, but not just because of the words he's using. His whole attitude and the background and camera work make it seem like a parody. It's probably a public access comedy show.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
THe only preacher I could think of that would spew such things would be Fred Phelps....

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SchmooPie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SchmooPie   E-mail SchmooPie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Squishy0405:
I think it's a fake too. My phone shows area codes if you just input a # and it came up as CA

Why would that make it a fake? That is the area code for Downtown L.A. which includes South Central, a HUGE black neighborhood.
I'm getting an authentic 'public access' vibe from this.

--------------------
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
- C. G. Jung

Posts: 243 | From: Marina del Rey, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wasn't saying that made it fake, just confirming the # on the clip was real...now who wants to call it [Big Grin]
Seems like one of those busch garden props to me.

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The greatest public access show I ever saw was one I saw in Syracuse when I was in school.

It was basically these Irish guys sitting around a kitchen table talking about how great pot ("the herb") was. The part that made it hilarious was when the youngest of the group tried to say something, and the "leader" (host?) started yelling "shut up! You're ****ing it up!" at him. It was beautiful.

ETA: The f-word is filtered now? When did that happen?

ETAA: Never mind. I found the post in Technical Questions explaining it.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sidewinder
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for sidewinder   E-mail sidewinder   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
NWF

Nigga's with faith

Posts: 282 | From: wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cabottom
"Repaint and thin no more!"

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cabottom     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's real for three reasons: First, the man seems to be more than just a cussing preacher; he seems to be a little bit crazy. Second, parodies usually play up stereotypes to a ridiculous degree, whereas this guy doesn't seem to fit that bill. He just sounds like a real urban African American from a rough scene who decided to preach. Third, these are real televangelists:

Jonathan Bell makes this guy look normal.

Posts: 16 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So I tried calling the phone number from the beginning. My call "could not be completed as dialed" without the "1" before the area code, and with the "1" could "not be connected."

The area code (213)is for Los Angeles, but several different reverse number lookups online reveal no one with that phone number and area code.

I don't know much about area codes and exchanges, but it appears that the exchange (730) is from Maryland, as the number (730-9589) belongs to this person:

EDIT:*name and address removed*
Columbia, MD 21044
(410) 730-9589

So maybe it's real - but the phone number is fake (???)

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Exchanges are reused througout area codes. Just because Maryland uses 730, doesn't mean other places don't. I think you want to remove that nice gentleman's name address and phone number from your post.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YeeMum
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 304 posted      Profile for YeeMum   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I second what Gibbie said.

We have a city just across the river that uses the same exchange with a different area code.

I was unable to get the audio but I can read lips. Seems he had a lot to say.

--------------------
Contact me for discounts
Charter member WNDMDC
"I am putting you on hold now.Listen to the elevator music and LIKE it."~My 'J'

Posts: 1816 | From: NE, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cabottom
"Repaint and thin no more!"

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cabottom     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Considering the show seems to be dated "5/20/97," and the man's television "ministry" does not seem to have flourished (after all, none of us have seen this guy before), I'd say it's no surprise that the number is not in service; probably, this guy has long since left the "ministry". The show is almost nine years old, if authentic.
Posts: 16 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mrdie
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrdie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mrdie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*Mods, delete this post, it's a double post*
Posts: 18 | From: Long Island, New York | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mrdie
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrdie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mrdie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This guy reminds me of Blowfly, only Blowfly never made a ministry.

(Blowfly, as much as he curses and etc, is a die hard Christian)

Posts: 18 | From: Long Island, New York | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gibbie:
...Snip...

I think you want to remove that nice gentleman's name address and phone number from your post.

Gibbie

I don't think it matters, as I found that information online in the first place, which means he has a listed number and anyone could find him. Thus is the perils of the phone company.

But I know what you're saying, so I shall do that now. I wasn't really thinking.

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see the problem. In our historically white, middle class, "quiet in church" background, we don't expect to hear a man of God talk in such a way.

But why not?

He's probably trying to reach the urban youth of today. Chances are he's a born again Christian, and the way of speaking is second nature to him.

What about believing in Jesus and the Bible makes you suddenly stop swearing?

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages