snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » A doll in a jar? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A doll in a jar?
After All
The First USA Noel

Icon 15 posted      Profile for After All   E-mail After All   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was searching for Cabbage Patch Kid pictures online and found this:
http://static.flickr.com/25/45940519_2c13db053b.jpg?v=0

I'm not posting the picture directly into this post because I don't want to host it. It's gross and disturbing to me. The person who posted it seems to think it is a doll but I'm not so inclined to think that because of the hands and feet. What do you all think?

--------------------
The trash heap has spoken! NYAAAHHH

Posts: 689 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I vote doll, only because I've seen cadavers (although admittadly not of babies) and there are just some distinct differences (though again they may have been preserved differently).

I cannot offer any kind of real explanation other then to me its features, skin, etc just seem more like a doll then a human (Assuming thats what you were getting at) but I couldn't say for certain.

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I vote doll.

Unless, of course, it's the rumored bonsai baby. [fish]

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms Congeniality
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms Congeniality   E-mail Ms Congeniality   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Doll. Very doll like expression. No evidence of decomp. or any other effects that would suggest human skin in liquid.

--------------------
Queen of Confusion

Posts: 311 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesn't look at all human to me -- it looks exactly like a Cabbage Patch kid, in fact, and I never thought they looked anything like real babies. The eyes look especially non-human to me, and as Ms. Congeniality has pointed out, there's no evidence of decomposition.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
After All
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for After All   E-mail After All   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know what a decomposing human in a jar would look like, although I'm scared I could find out if I googled it. The face does look a bit doll-like to me but the fingers and toes are definitely not a cabbage patch kid. They look like human baby hands and feet. I have never seen a doll with feet that look that real. And what is that in the belly button area?

after "trying to tell my brain it's a doll" all

--------------------
The trash heap has spoken! NYAAAHHH

Posts: 689 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing about that screams real to me. It doesn't even look like a real photo- that is, it looks doctored. I would have to think about it pretty hard to figure out what makes it look fake, but I'm almost certain it's not a photo of a real baby in a jar.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pork Chop
Anchovy of a 1000 Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pork Chop   E-mail Pork Chop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't Gary Larson once draw a "Far Side" cartoon about a baby in a bottle? I seem to recall seeing one...

About the picture, I definitely vote doll. Everything looks fake, except for, as people said, the hands and feet. It's floating in liquid: if it were real, could it possible be formaldehyde? That would explain the lack of decomp.
I have to admit, the picture spooked me at first. The title made me think of a cabbage patch doll just sitting in an empty jar.

--------------------
Have you heard the Word?
Praise Hircine!

Posts: 283 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wouldn't formaldehyde also prevent the growth of algae?

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It could be a composition of several doll parts, along with other bits.

So real, but hoax. Perhaps

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spindely Fingers
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 86 posted      Profile for Spindely Fingers   E-mail Spindely Fingers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This reminds me a lot of "pickled punks." They were fetuses, usually with some kind of birth defect, preserved in a jar of formaldehyde. Punks were popular sideshow exhibits until fairly recently; I think Coney Island still has a couple. That being said, the coloring doesn't look quite right for a pickled punk (they tend to be yellow-ish) and the face looks very much like a cabbage patch kid. Maybe this was a prop made to suggest a pickled punk?

--------------------
Armistice Day has become Veterans' Day. Armistice Day was sacred. Veterans' Day is not.
So I will throw Veterans' Day over my shoulder. ...
What else is sacred? Oh, Romeo and Juliet, for instance.
And all music is. -Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 55 | From: Salisbury, NC/Bridgewater, VA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zero
Turkey Largo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zero   E-mail Zero   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Awww. I want one!
Posts: 54 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
medtchva
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for medtchva   E-mail medtchva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely a doll. Can see pics of real ones (medical teaching pics) at rotten.com.
Posts: 229 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mouse goddess
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mouse goddess   E-mail mouse goddess   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Plus, the face would be slack....those cheeks are just a little to pert for real.

--------------------
"this could increase your brain power, or it could kill you..." "Increase my killing power, ehh???"

Posts: 1153 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kalle
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Doll. Not the Cabbage Patch type though.

Cabbage Patch Dolls are all cheeks and little mouths:

-

I don't see what's "wrong" with the hands and feet, obscured as they are by the growth. It's probably been in the jar for quite some time. Or maybe in a lake or something, and then put in the jar.

Posts: 39 | From: Sweden | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GiorgioDaneri-Matame

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiorgioDaneri-Matame   Author's Homepage   E-mail GiorgioDaneri-Matame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
maybe it`s a "fetus doll" if they`re Siamese Dolls and alien fetus ¿why not a fetus doll?

--------------------
Killme
---------------------------------------
Please pardon my bad english

Posts: 9 | From: Coquimbo, Chile | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chipphaha
"Repaint and thin no more!"

Icon 15 posted      Profile for chipphaha   E-mail chipphaha   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Excessively creepy, but I am sure it is a doll in that jar.
Posts: 15 | From: Bedford, PA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
annabohly
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annabohly   E-mail annabohly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I vote doll as well

--------------------
And always remember....when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over !!!!!

Posts: 521 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cms
Eagle Opportunity Employer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cms   Author's Homepage   E-mail cms   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I say it is a doll.
Posts: 9 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Doll. Mouth's shaped to fit the fake baby bottle.

Altho this does kinda look like something out of "The Silence of the Lambs."

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah the facial expression seems too "Fake" To be a real baby if that makes any sense.

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fleetfoot Jones
Billy, Don't Be a Hero Sandwich

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fleetfoot Jones   E-mail Fleetfoot Jones   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pork Chop:
Didn't Gary Larson once draw a "Far Side" cartoon about a baby in a bottle? I seem to recall seeing one...

It was a head in a jar. The teacher was saying something to the effect of "And now billy will show us what he found on his summer vaction for show and tell". The kid was standing there with a head in a jar.

I rememeber this one from Gary Larson's "Prehistory of the Far Side" where he discussed the history certain cartoons that he had drawn. With this one, he pointed out that he made the head look very goofy so that nobody would complain.

Why that sticks in my head, I don't know. I just rememeber it.

***edited because I can't spell.

Posts: 8 | From: Reynosa, Mexico | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hahaha - I had that doll when I was a kid. It is a Cabbage Patch doll.

Perhaps that is my exact doll, since I got rid of it many years ago. Maybe I should look into buying that doll in a jar.

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Raine

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Raine   Author's Homepage   E-mail Raine   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why in the world is some sick person putting dolls or anything else in a jar? I worry about this world...I really do.

--------------------
"Do unto others before they do unto you!"-Ernie from Sesame Street

Posts: 22 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad I'm not the only one that originally thought pickled punk. Although something looks way off about it so my vote would be for a bouncer (a fake punk). Also you don't see the real thing anymore. Most places have laws against natural freaks, even pickled ones. We had a local mueseum here that had to remove some of its 'oddities'. There is a weird museum in Philadelphia that still might have a real examples of punks but I don't know. Even in side shows most live natural freaks are now illegal. You can still have self made freaks like the tattoed guy or whatever but most places won't let you ogle the naturally deformed... I'm not exactly sure of why? You can also have illusion shows like Spidora but not put siamese twins on disply. Makes little since to me because the "normal" people in a girl to gorrila act could probably find other ways to turn a coin easier than the lobster boy (actual deformity). I think dwarfs and midgets are still allowed almost everywhere, you just can't bowl them.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Van Couver

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Van Couver   E-mail Van Couver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My vote is fake. Seen real ones in a museum in Salzburg "Haus der Natur" and it looks nothing like them.

Don't know if they still have the display. HAs been a few years since I had been to the museum. Skin is much too streched and ?stable?.

--------------------
FAMILY(n): Where the term insane is a RELATIVE term //Threadkiller: Watch this line.....it might be the last on this topic........

Posts: 2146 | From: Austria | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by After All:
I don't know what a decomposing human in a jar would look like, although I'm scared I could find out if I googled it. The face does look a bit doll-like to me but the fingers and toes are definitely not a cabbage patch kid. They look like human baby hands and feet. I have never seen a doll with feet that look that real. And what is that in the belly button area?

I've seen plenty of dolls with realistic-looking hands and feet... If you'd like to see some, just do a search on google images for lifelike baby doll (don't leave out the "baby" or you'll get some more *adult* dolls...)

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would vote this not doll or human, but an f/x prop from a movie based on morgues and evil genius creativity.

It looks more like a created mold of a doll and used ballistics gel to form a moveable body and pinned on eyes.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Joseph Z:
I would vote this not doll or human, but an f/x prop from a movie based on morgues and evil genius creativity.

I love that you got so specific about the plot of the movie you guess it would be from [lol]

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another vote for doll or prop. Most of the real ones I've seen had their eyes closed into slits. Also, the cheeks look too full and the mouth does look like the doll's shape to receive a plastic baby bottle.

Note that when I went to search for teratology photos, one of the links I found was to a book called "Marketing the Menacing Fetus in Japan".

I think I'll stop now. [Eek!]

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another "doll" vote, again because the facial features are too doll-like. The skin also doesn't look quite the right colour for preserved flesh - although I haven't seen fetuses/babies in jars, I have seen dissected adult body parts. Human skin sans blood and dunked in formaldehyde has a sort of waxy yellow colour.

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

It looks more like a created mold of a doll and used ballistics gel to form a moveable body and pinned on eyes.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

--------------------
Joseph Z

Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously not real. Doesn't even look CLOSE to being any form of human. The face looks like a Cabbage Patch Doll knockoff - the creator has just removed the glass eyes and replaced them with button eyes instead.

The object in the "bellybutton area" is the doll's other foot - it's slightly raised from the bottom so you can see the tips of the toes while the rest of the leg is hidden by the algae. The posing also seems consistant with a vinyl doll - notice how the arms are straight up against the jar instead of bending at the elbows?

Could be a bad movie prop, could be a kid just goofing off, my first thought was that it's an illustration from a Halloween prop site. I used to visit several that featured creepy, but cheap and easy, prop ideas for haunted houses and Halloween decorations. This one looks kind of silly in full light, but stick it up on a shelf in a darkened corner and it could look pretty menacing, especially with the button eyes catching the light.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages