snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Breast Rash

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Breast Rash
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 96 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I am NOT posting the pic because I am sure everyone has seen it, and it is disturbing.

I got the Breast Infestation email from a colleague asking me to debunk it. You know, the one where they photoshopped the breast and the dried lotus blossom? Sorry to dredge up any bad memories! This time it came with a video of someone removing maggots (?) from a breast. It is quite obviously a different and breast (black as opposed to causasion, and actually painful and lumpy looking), but it is pretty convincing and VERY gross.

I actually wondered if there was an injury to the breast that resulted in infection and critters. They could also have been using maggots for medical treatment. That is actually pretty common even here. Like leeching. The maggots will eat the dead/infected tissue and leave the live tissue alone. The camera angle (and I didn’t watch it all b/c it was GROSS!) could be deceiving.

Any doctors out there who can comment? Or anyone who has seen the video who feels like they can comment?

I tried to find an old thread with the video info, but no luck...

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Two possibilities jump to mind, although I haven't seen the video you are talking about. It would help if you could describe what else you saw in the background of the video, if anything. Does it look like a doctor's office, operating room, or morgue?

The first is that the maggots are being collected from a body as part of a medical study or evidence collection.

The second is that the maggots were a medical treatment. If somehow the breast were injured or perhaps , maggots can be used to clean out the dead tissue.

I would guess that unless there is something to it that makes it seemed staged, it is probably a real video - the only question is the background information on why the bugs are there in the first place.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No. You know, nothing looked staged at all in fact. And unless they filmed it sideways or strapped a corpse into an upright position, the person was a real, living person. (Sorry I can't post it. I just am not that tech savvy)Also, the photo is of a very healthy looking breast, whereas the breast in the video looked all lumpy and horrible.

Are they using maggots in conjunction with breast cancer treatments? I don't know if something like that could cause tissue death to warrant maggot use, though.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you sure it as a moggot? Not some kind of nasty tropical parasite? That might make more sense.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I just rewatched the video, and there is no way those are maggots. They are imbedded vertically in the breast and actually do pop their heads in and out. They are white, 1/4 inch+ long. This is definitely some kind of infestation in my mind, similar to the kind of scenario the email describes. The email (with photo) is posted here on snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/rash.asp

--------------------

PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

I think I may have answered my own question:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2482/4/5

So, how do we get snopes to update the page?

--------------------

Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
email him the link [Big Grin]

If he has time, he'll update.

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Broken Angel
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Broken Angel   E-mail Broken Angel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only one who become suddenly aware of all the little crawly feelings on my skin after looking at those pictures? [Razz]

~*~ Broken Angel ~*~

--------------------
You're only a failure if you quit while you're behind.

Posts: 119 | From: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

I was up all night feeling itchy.

--------------------

TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 301 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PallasAthena:
I was up all night feeling itchy.

Dahaaaammm.. I only read the description and this is what I looked like--> [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

I have a feeling I'd get through about 3 seconds of the vid. Ewwww...

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

I know! And there is more! The scenario in the email turns out to be not entirely unplausible!

http://www.ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/botfly.html

Check this out about the Human Botfly! Holy crap! I usually don't get bugged (no pun intended) by this stuff, but for some reason this is really getting to me!

--------------------

Debunker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Debunker   E-mail Debunker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, waffles...

--------------------
"A minibar is a machine that makes everything expensive." - Mitch Hedberg RIP

Posts: 230 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Debunker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Debunker   E-mail Debunker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
***shivers***

--------------------
"A minibar is a machine that makes everything expensive." - Mitch Hedberg RIP

Posts: 230 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zoton2
Newsqueak

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zoton2   Author's Homepage   E-mail Zoton2   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PallasAthena:
I know! And there is more! The scenario in the email turns out to be not entirely unplausible!

http://www.ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/botfly.html

Check this out about the Human Botfly! Holy crap! I usually don't get bugged (no pun intended) by this stuff, but for some reason this is really getting to me!

Im not sure if its the same fly, but here in the uk there was/is a show (was it "How clean is your house"?) that had a man or woman who had a really dirty house, and these girls who go round the houses, they found these things from flys that eat (maybe dead) flesh, right under the skin, or something similar, ewww

**Shivers** [Eek!]

--------------------
Ummm... What Now???

This Sucks
[Note The Sarcasm]

Posts: 13 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
naharnahekim
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for naharnahekim   E-mail naharnahekim   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know how to link things properly, but if you wanna get really grossed out (and I know you do!) here are some video's

http://www.kontraband.com/show/show.asp?ID=2189&NEXTID=0&PREVID=2192&DISPLAYORDER=20050412114608&CAT=movies&NSFW=2&page=2

http://www.biology.ualberta.ca/facilities/multimedia/uploads/video/froglow.php3

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/352/23/e21/DC1

http://www.plsthx.com/disp.php?type=m&id=290

So there ya go gobs and gobs of greasy grimy botfly babies
http://pubmed-central.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=394335&blobname=1471-2482-4-5-S1.mpg

Posts: 45 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages