snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Old Lady Sets off Mercedes Airbag?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Old Lady Sets off Mercedes Airbag?!
HoRNS456
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 214 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not sure if anyone has seen this video. It shows an old lady hitting the front of a Mercedes car with a bag and setting the airbag off.

The video looks real, but a few things leave me wondering if it is fake.

-The sound of the car screaming to a stop is just as loud when the camera is facing away from the car as it is facing the car.
-Can an airbag go off when hit with a bag?

What do you guys think? Fake or real?
http://media.skoopy.com/vids/vid_00782.wmv
or
http://www.snabbstart.com/film/cabriolet-vs-farmor.aspx

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Fake, obviously. Unless there was a major malfunction, airbags a) don't go off when the car isn't moving, and b) don't go off with an impact that slight.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lawguy
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lawguy   Author's Homepage   E-mail lawguy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Fake for so mant reasons, but here's just one. An airbag going off is more violent than that.

--------------------
"I've argued in front of every judge in this state, often as a lawyer."

Posts: 1021 | From: Northwest Indiana | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, as lawguy stated, an airbag going off will be a lot more violent than that. In addition, there will be a cloud of white powder that erupts as the airbag is inflated.
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ovalescent
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ovalescent   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ovalescent   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In addition, the airbag doesn't stay inflated like that, it deflates pretty rapidly after it's deployed.

--------------------
"You're all suffering from trauma because it was so boring in the womb!"

Posts: 837 | From: Now LIVE from Arkansas! | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HoRNS456

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_last_smart_airbags_2

Thats what I think also, but after reading about Mercedes and their 'Smart Airbags', I feel the video may be true. Mercedes are on the leading edge of technology and wouldn't surprise me if they were over protective.

What do you guys think?

Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But having an airbag go off that easily, and when the car isn't moving, is not overprotective. It's more likely to prevent an injury that otherwise wouldn't have happened, than it is to prevent an injury.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen it before and read a discussion in another forum. IIRC the film is an advert for something, but I don't remember which company, only that it's Swedish.

ETA It's an advert for IKEA.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice of the source in the OP to cut off the final seconds with the identifying mark...

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spicyitalian

Just an FYI...Cars have multiple sensors for the airbags, somewhere in the range of 5 or more IIRC. Something like 3 or more sensors have to agree that there has been an accident before the airbag will deploy. I've never really taken apart or played with the sensors for obvious reasons, however, if they are anything like the fuel shutoff switch in my '80 MGB, it would take quite a bit more of a jolt to set them off.
Geeto67
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geeto67   E-mail Geeto67   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Depends on the car. The older the car the more likely you can trigger just one of the sensors to set it off.

When I still had my blazer and was a surfcaster (fishing) I tried mounting a fishing pole rack on the front of the car (1995). I inadvertenly drilled into the airbag sensor and it went off. Very expensive lesson learned.

That blazer was a real lemon, one of the first off the production line, and it had ABS and air condition failures galore. Replaced it with a 99 tahoe sport and never looked back (well once in a while I look back). I actually saw it a few months ago in NYC.

Took a second look at the video and definatly fake...no airbag powder. When my airbag went off there was white powder everywhere that is discharged from the inflation process. That stuff gets everywhere.

Posts: 163 | From: NYC | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spicyitalian:
Just an FYI...Cars have multiple sensors for the airbags, somewhere in the range of 5 or more IIRC. Something like 3 or more sensors have to agree that there has been an accident before the airbag will deploy. I've never really taken apart or played with the sensors for obvious reasons, however, if they are anything like the fuel shutoff switch in my '80 MGB, it would take quite a bit more of a jolt to set them off.

The MGB cutoff switch has no sensors on it because it's an inertia switch. Any sudden or violent deceleration will cause it to shut off. A pretty good design, not that I'd place my faith in anything electrical in an MGB, mind you.

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spicyitalian

quote:
Originally posted by Geeto67:
When I still had my blazer and was a surfcaster (fishing) I tried mounting a fishing pole rack on the front of the car (1995). I inadvertenly drilled into the airbag sensor and it went off. Very expensive lesson learned.

I don't doubt that if you drilled through a newer sensor that it would also go off. I bet that was an exciting day for you. I concur about the AB dust, I got into a head on collison with mother earth, and the stuff was everywhere.

quote:
Originally posted by mgbdriver:
The MGB cutoff switch has no sensors on it because it's an inertia switch. Any sudden or violent deceleration will cause it to shut off. A pretty good design, not that I'd place my faith in anything electrical in an MGB, mind you.

When I replaced my dash pad, I took out the inerta switch and played with it to see how mush it took to trip it. It's just a big steel bearing in a tube with a catch, but I agree an ingenious design. I don't know how effective it would really be though, since it only cuts power to the fuel pump. I would be more worried about having the actually wiring burst into flames than a fire from the miniscule gas tank.
Geeto67
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geeto67   E-mail Geeto67   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spicyitalian:
[QB] I don't doubt that if you drilled through a newer sensor that it would also go off. I bet that was an exciting day for you. I concur about the AB dust, I got into a head on collison with mother earth, and the stuff was everywhere.

I had a bolt up against one sensor (pressing hard) and as soon as the drill was halfway through the second sensor I heard a rip a pop and jumped about three feet. That dust burns your eyes too. The sad part is that the car was only 4 months old at the time.

As for other life saving devices from antiquated equipment I love the old "energy absorbing" steering wheels from the 1967 GM A-body cars. The pontiacs are espically cool because they actually say "energy absorbing" on them where as the chevrolet and buick do not (don't know about the olds I've never owned one). Basicaly it is one coil of a spring that makes up the rim of the wheel. When you crash and your body goes foward the rim of the wheel gives until the spring is compressed (progressivly slowing you down as you go into it). The thing I don;t understand is why on the pontiacs they decided to still put a cap that could do some pretty serious damage if it hit your chest. I actually tested one of these at speed in a panic stop (didn't hit anything) and the wheel really gives and does a good job of keeping you from getting impaled on the wheel, it also does a good job at giving you a nice round full chest bruise - in any serious kind of accident however you would probably be toast.

Posts: 163 | From: NYC | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would think there is a short in the airbag sensor in the factor that this was a staged video and not a real happening.

It would take an abrupt impact very strong to activate the sensor. Plus in today's vehicles, they are adding passenger airbags and they didn't deploy either.

But in some cases the airbag does have faults when a heavy slam even on the side like in "Final Destination 2" where the fire fighters were working to free a girl behind the wheel with a broken pole slammed through her car seat just at the base of her skull missing her until the airbag was deployed by the jaws of life when it was slammed into her car door instantly killing her when it slammed her head into the pole hence busting through her mouth and killing her.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:
But in some cases the airbag does have faults when a heavy slam even on the side like in "Final Destination 2"

Joseph,

I've noticed over time that you like to use TV shows and movies as 'evidence' of things. You do realize that a lot of UL's are spread by Hollywood that have absolutely no truth to them, right?

For example, there's a Dairy Queen commercial that keeps playing here that shows a guy setting off the fire sprinklers with his hot sandwich (causing the entire office to get drenched). This scenario is played out in TV and movies all the time -- one small fire causes the whole system to go off.

Problem is, it doesn't happen. Each sensor has to reach a temperature (like 150 degrees) before water is sprayed ONLY AT THAT SENSOR. Fire departments hate this myth because it causes people to think that these sprinklers cause more damage than they prevent.

-Tim

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages