snopes.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Food » Soy makes you Gay?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Soy makes you Gay?
larkstongue
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for larkstongue   E-mail larkstongue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
A friend sent me the following. It just seemed wrong on so many levels. I'm hoping some of the good folks here can 'bust' this one. Say it's not soy!

------------------

There's a slow poison out there that's severely damaging our children and threatening to tear apart our culture. The ironic part is, it's a "health food," one of our most popular.

The dangerous food I'm speaking of is soy. Soybean products are feminizing, and they're all over the place. You can hardly escape them anymore.

I have nothing against an occasional soy snack. Soy is nutritious and contains lots of good things. Unfortunately, when you eat or drink a lot of soy stuff, you're also getting substantial quantities of estrogens.

Estrogens are female hormones. If you're a woman, you're flooding your system with a substance it can't handle in surplus. If you're a man, you're suppressing your masculinity and stimulating your "female side," physically and mentally.

In fetal development, the default is being female. All humans (even in old age) tend toward femininity. The main thing that keeps men from diverging into the female pattern is testosterone, and testosterone is suppressed by an excess of estrogen.

If you're a grownup, you're already developed, and you're able to fight off some of the damaging effects of soy. Babies aren't so fortunate. Research is now showing that when you feed your baby soy formula, you're giving him or her the equivalent of five birth control pills a day. A baby's endocrine system just can't cope with that kind of massive assault, so some damage is inevitable. At the extreme, the damage can be fatal.

Soy is feminizing, and commonly leads to a decrease in the size of the penis, sexual confusion and homosexuality. That's why most of the medical (not socio-spiritual) blame for today's rise in homosexuality must fall upon the rise in soy formula and other soy products. (Most babies are bottle-fed during some part of their infancy, and one-fourth of them are getting soy milk!) Homosexuals often argue that their homosexuality is inborn because "I can't remember a time when I wasn't homosexual." No, homosexuality is always deviant. But now many of them can truthfully say that they can't remember a time when excess estrogen wasn't influencing them.

Doctors used to hope soy would reduce hot flashes, prevent cancer and heart disease, and save millions in the Third World from starvation. That was before they knew much about long-term soy use. Now we know it's a classic example of a cure that's worse than the disease. For example, if your baby gets colic from cow's milk, do you switch him to soy milk? Don't even think about it. His phytoestrogen level will jump to 20 times normal. If he is a she, brace yourself for watching her reach menarche as young as seven, robbing her of years of childhood. If he is a boy, it's far worse: He may not reach puberty till much later than normal.

Research in 2000 showed that a soy-based diet at any age can lead to a weak thyroid, which commonly produces heart problems and excess fat. Could this explain the dramatic increase in obesity today?

Recent research on rats shows testicular atrophy, infertility and uterus hypertrophy (enlargement). This helps explain the infertility epidemic and the sudden growth in fertility clinics. But alas, by the time a soy-damaged infant has grown to adulthood and wants to marry, it's too late to get fixed by a fertility clinic.

Worse, there's now scientific evidence that estrogen ingredients in soy products may be boosting the rapidly rising incidence of leukemia in children. In the latest year we have numbers for, new cases in the U.S. jumped 27 percent. In one year!

There's also a serious connection between soy and cancer in adults especially breast cancer. That's why the governments of Israel, the UK, France and New Zealand are already cracking down hard on soy.

In sad contrast, 60 percent of the refined foods in U.S. supermarkets now contain soy. Worse, soy use may double in the next few years because (last I heard) the out-of-touch medicrats in the FDA hierarchy are considering allowing manufacturers of cereal, energy bars, fake milk, fake yogurt, etc., to claim that "soy prevents cancer." It doesn't.

P.S.: Soy sauce is fine. Unlike soy milk, it's perfectly safe because it's fermented, which changes its molecular structure. Miso, natto and tempeh are also OK, but avoid tofu.

Posts: 1 | From: Watkinsville, GA | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simply Madeline
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simply Madeline     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Soy-a-Chow
Posts: 763 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
erinker74
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erinker74   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I can't really comment on the medical aspect of this except to say that it sounds like they have drastically simplified the matter and in so doing, developed an incorrect conclusion. Hopefully there will be an MD that can come on and take up that argument.

But I do question a few of the other assertations. Firstly, the author's comment about the "rise in homosexuality". While it is certainly true that homosexuals may feel more comfortable coming out today than they did 100 years ago, it is impossible to say whether more people are actually gay today; supressing the expression of one's sexuality does not change the sexuality. Homosexuality has been around for thousands of years - how long has soy been around?

Also, is homosexuality "always deviant", as the writer suggests? If the definition of "deviant" is "contrary to public acceptance", I might suggest that in places like the Castro in San Francisco, homosexuality is not only accepted, but is the norm. Statements like that make the writer's agenda seem a bit more clear.

Also, the writer's assertion that delayed male puberty is "far worse" than early female puberty is pure subjection. As a girl who started her period two days after her ninth birthday (and I have never eaten a bit of tofu in my life), I might suggest to the writer that he/she experience the humiliation of having to ask your fourth grade teacher if you can go to the nurse to get a new maxi pad (since I was too young to carry a purse). And I can't tell you how wonderful and understanding my classmates were about my huge breasts at that age...

It sounds like panicked hoo-ha to me.

--------------------
"I bet a funny thing about driving a car off a cliff is, while you're in midair,
you still hit those brakes. Hey, better try the emergency brake." -Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Posts: 245 | From: Gladstone, MO | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cowboy Joe
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cowboy Joe   E-mail Cowboy Joe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I am not a doctor, but I watch one on TV.

I am reasonably certain that soy cannot turn a male gay, but extended exposure to musicals, Liza Manelli and interior design shows can.

--------------------
"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda." -George W. Bush, Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

Posts: 382 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
IIRC the Chinese eat a lot of soy products (tofu anyone?) and have done for centuries. It doesn't seem to have dented their fertility rate.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
this charechter wrote a follow up to his orig. poc in which he claimed that the Chinese didn't eat as much soy as we think they do, hence, they are OK. Here's part two, via pandagon:

Defense

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo.:
this charechter wrote a follow up to his orig. poc in which he claimed that the Chinese didn't eat as much soy as we think they do, hence, they are OK. Here's part two, via pandagon:

Defense

I'd be interested to seen the data, particularly the first two of the three interlocking reasons to which he links in the WorldNetDaily article.

But it doesn't help that all these links are broken and point to a placeholder site.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RickRS
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RickRS   E-mail RickRS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cowboy Joe:

I am reasonably certain that soy cannot turn a male gay, but extended exposure to musicals, Liza Manelli and interior design shows can.

Holy cr*p! My wife's constant viewing of Trading Spaces has doomed me and our marriage! (Hey, it was on so I watched it too.)
Posts: 8 | From: NW Florida | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cowboy Joe
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cowboy Joe   E-mail Cowboy Joe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RickRS:
quote:
Originally posted by Cowboy Joe:

Holy cr*p! My wife's constant viewing of Trading Spaces has doomed me and our marriage! (Hey, it was on so I watched it too.)
Being gay hasn't seemed to be a restriction to being married thought, at least to someone from the opposite sex. And think of all the shoe shopping trips you can go on now.

--------------------
"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda." -George W. Bush, Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

Posts: 382 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Strange, I posted this same topic about a week ago but it apparently got deleted.
Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Your thread was chowed by this one, which conveniently chows this one as well.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages