snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Food » McDonald's Magic Coke

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: McDonald's Magic Coke
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: My Wife and I have had this friendly disagreement for a couple of years
now regarding the Coke available at McDonald's. She says she heard that
McDonalds gets more syrup or a different mixture making their Coke taste
better than anywhere else. Now normally I would wave my arms with a
resounding whatever. But more and more people seem to be following this
line of "Magic Coke" thinking. Can you please look into this growing
Cokelore and put this Urban Myth to rest once and for all?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If Coca Cola could make a bette Coke, I'm sure they'd sell it everywhere and advertise it loudly.

Anything to get market shares from Pepsi...

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MarkS
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarkS   E-mail MarkS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
If Coca Cola could make a bette Coke, I'm sure they'd sell it everywhere and advertise it loudly.

Anything to get market shares from Pepsi...

They tried that once - it failed miserably:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Coke

Posts: 1 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sylvanz
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sylvanz   E-mail Sylvanz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mmmm, my theory on how this may have started is that the mix or "calibration" for fountain pop is tricky business. As far as I know the syrup is always the same; it's the mix of syrup to carbonation that makes the difference, it isn't too difficult to screw it up. Some places have good fountain and some have awful. McDonald's fountain Coke is very good, better than most places in my opinion, and I think it's because McDonald's has always been pretty picky about procedures. I bet their calibration is very precise and seldom varies.

Having just claimed how precise McD's procedures are, I just wish that when I order a vanilla shake at the local McD's that it didn't always have strawberry shake mixed in. Yuk! They sure are slipping on procedures on that one.

P&LL, Syl

--------------------
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. — Voltaire

Posts: 1944 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 86 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm ... I've always felt that McDonald's has about the worst-tasting Coke of any place I'm familiar with.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NancyFancyPants
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NancyFancyPants     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Snopes, I agree. In fact, it seems to have very little flavor at all initially, then there's some weird after-taste.

My BIL works for Coca Cola and has informed me that Sylvanz is correct: it has everything to do with the syrup-to-carbonation mix.

--------------------
And on the 7th day, God said, "Let there be lips!"

Posts: 296 | From: Munhall, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hmm ... I've always felt that McDonald's has about the worst-tasting Coke of any place I'm familiar with.
My guess is that they serve it too cold. That takes away a lot of the taste, as well as giving me the hiccups.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't there a thread a your or so ago about how many restaurants don't clean their soda dispensers often enough, and it affects the taste of the pop?

My guess would be that Micky D's cleans their machines on a regular schedule. Maybe many of us are just used to the taste of fountain pop from a "dirty" machine.

Of course, that doesn't account for the taste difference between cans/bottles and fountain. I find there's a pretty big difference (I prefer fountain).

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I do think the Coke tastes better at McD's. And I also prefer fountain to canned. However, if I'm drinking diet (as I should all the time, but don't), I greatly prefer the canned/bottled drinks to fountain. Some fountain Diet Coke is completely undrinkable to me(Huck's and Hardee's come to mind).

Of course, I like my Coke very, very cold, with lots of ice, so perhaps Troberg is onto something.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MED06
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MED06   E-mail MED06   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought the taste had something to do with the insane amounts of ice that they put in, well they do over in the UK!
Actually I have never been to a McDs in the states, but thinking back, the last time I was in Carls Jr, you could put your own ice/drink in, is it the same at McDs?
Anyways, I'll be in Cal next Jan, so I'll make sure I give the ol' Golden Arches a visit.

--------------------
"...excuse me while I interrupt myself..." - Murray Walker

Posts: 16 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 208 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Having just claimed how precise McD's procedures are, I just wish that when I order a vanilla shake at the local McD's that it didn't always have strawberry shake mixed in. Yuk! They sure are slipping on procedures on that one.

P&LL, Syl [/QB][/QUOTE]

I totally agree! I love strawberries, but hate strawberry flavored milkshakes. I always take mine back if I'm inside the restaraunt. How hard is it to keep a cup nearby to "clean" the shake machine into? They would waste less by doing that than by having to make me a whole new shake!

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rogue
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rogue   E-mail rogue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As a former manager at McD's, I can state the following:

1) Each franchisee has it's own standards which must meet or exceed the Corp. for how often these procedures are performed. I don't believe we were more diligent what what Corp. required, because we weren't in other areas.

2) We calibrated our dispensers twice a week, on Sunday and Wednesday mornings.

3) We disassembled our fountain heads every night and washed them, leaving them soaking in a solution of "sanitizer" (cholorinated water) overnight. Sanitizer was sprayed on the fountain itself (where the heads attached).

-rogue

--------------------
"'Cause you might enjoy some madness for awile."

Posts: 119 | From: Norman, OK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Magic coke? I got a guy can hook you up man, you want some magic coke...

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FullMetal
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FullMetal   E-mail FullMetal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
rogue, i think that might be very much why McD's is better than most, at a Pizza hut I worked at the fountains were cleaned maybe once a month, and calibration tested once a month and as long as it didn't vary too much it was good to go. and would be re-calibrated as necessary, (usually due to customer complaints) I think it's the maintenance McDs has, and from what I see they have a strick weekly regimen they follow. Thats why it might taste better there than elsewhere. because the syrup mixture is calibrated twice a week, rather than once a month to once every 6 months...

I also think it might have something to do with the different fountain, a lot of places have the fountain you press the lever at the back with the cup to fill the cup, rather than pressing a button, and I discovered (while at Pizza Hut) that if you depressed it slowly, you could get it with straight syrup... (this made for great mixes when I was bored an 1/8 cup of lemonade syrup topped with 7-up. yummy [Wink]

Posts: 153 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages