snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Food » Death by raw dough

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Death by raw dough
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: A coworker of mine claimed that an individual died from consuming
unbaked dough. She claims that the individual suffocated from the dough
rising and cutting off the oxygen supply. Is there any truth to this
claim?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm confused. I thought that when you swallowed food it ended up in your stomach; not your lungs!

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst í hringi
Höldumst í hendur
Allur heimurinn óskýr
Nema þú stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
csel's in 2nd Grade
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for csel's in 2nd Grade     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure how that could happen, because cookie dough doesn't generally have a leavening agent to make it rise.

Now, salmonella, on the other hand.... [Wink]

--------------------
"What is sin? I think sin is failure to grow."
-Lauren Slater, "Prozac Diary"

Posts: 172 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mizzie
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 506 posted      Profile for mizzie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, they never said it was cookie dough. Maybe it was bread dough. But still, I highly doubt it would rise much in the stomache, and certainly not enough to travel up enough to cut off your air. I would think the stomach acids would interfer with the delicate chemical reations that cause rising.

Just my thoughts...

Posts: 41 | From: Baxter, MN | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely no way it would be cookie dough, if there is any element of truth to it all. If it were cookie dough, I would have been dead a lonnnggg time ago.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've eaten raw roll dough bunches of times, and I've yet to die from suffocation. I haven't even gotten some disease from ingesting raw eggs, yet.

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mixible Ms Charli
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mixible Ms Charli   E-mail Mixible Ms Charli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my favorite things when I was a kid was eating raw cake batter, cookie dough, bread dough, and hamburger meat. I just went and looked and I was still here bringing joy to everyone I know and don't know. [dunce]

--------------------
If you pray, you will believe; If your believe, you will love; If you love, you will serve. Author Unknown

Posts: 2 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mixible Ms Charli:
One of my favorite things when I was a kid was eating raw cake batter, cookie dough, bread dough, and hamburger meat.

Yup. Me too, even down to the hamburger meat. I survived, and, as a plus, I've never gotten food poisioning.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kahuna Burger
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kahuna Burger   E-mail Kahuna Burger       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
iirc some animal poison control opperators had cases of dogs eating bread dough which had been put out to rise and did have complications from the bread expanding in their stomaches. My vet indicated that this was not an issue with the (non-rising) canned biscuit dough my pug ate, and dogs have "bloat" problems that make the issue not neccassarily translate to humans anyway. But that could be a start for the idea.
Posts: 96 | From: Attleboro, MA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From the ASPCA THANKSGIVING SAFETY TIP: BREAD DOUGH'S A NO-NO FOR DOGS AND CATS
quote:
According to veterinarians at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC), when bread dough is ingested, an animal's body heat causes the dough to rise in the stomach. As alcohol is produced during the rising process, the dough expands. Pets who've eaten bread dough may experience abdominal pain, bloat, vomiting, disorientation and depression.
Merck Veterinary Manual Bread Dough
quote:
Raw bread dough made with yeast poses mechanical and biochemical hazards when ingested, including gastric distention, metabolic acidosis, and CNS depression. Although any species is susceptible, dogs are most commonly involved due to their indiscriminate eating habit

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong:
quote:
One of my favorite things when I was a kid was eating raw cake batter, cookie dough, bread dough, and hamburger meat.

Yup. Me too, even down to the hamburger meat. I survived, and, as a plus, I've never gotten food poisioning.
As paranoid about food safety as my family is, we eat raw dough and batter.

Commercially produced eggs are chemically bathed (eggs are laid through the cloaca, so most of the bacteria is on the outside, which is why one shouldn't separate eggs with the shells) and prepackaged egg products (like dough and batter) use pasteurised eggs to reduce the risk of food poisoning.

Even unprocessed eggs (rare) can be safe to eat -- only a fraction of eggs laid by hens carrying salmonella are contaminated, so less than 0.01% of eggs (in the US and Canada -- the US Northeast, Ontario, and Quebec have the highest incidence) have salmonella. The risk increases when you mix large numbers of eggs together (as restaraunts do). Even so, the risk of an contaminated egg dish is less than 1% (see Salmonella enteritidis).

Eating raw hamburger, now that's just crazy.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:

Yeah, but it's darned tasty, and worth a bit of risk.....

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morrigan   E-mail Morrigan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have two friends who do that. (Eat raw hamburger.) I just think it's gross.

I want to say that it's a sign of iron deficiency, though. So if you have a craving for it, get your blood tested.

Morrigan

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Posts: 1701 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I fight the urge (most of the time) to eat raw hamburger. But that is just because hamburger is all ground up and processed and has a lot of opportunity to pick up germies. I do love me some carpaccio though. I usually satisfy my bloodlust with a rare steak though.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
OptimusShr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OptimusShr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If it were from salmonella from raw eggs I would believe this. But no, there's probably not enough left after chewing and acids digesting the food to do any damage.
Posts: 104 | From: Peabody, MA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was always hanging around the kitchen when my mom was baking. Uncooked dough and batter were almost better than the finished product.

quote:

Commercially produced eggs are chemically bathed (eggs are laid through the cloaca, so most of the bacteria is on the outside, which is why one shouldn't separate eggs with the shells) and prepackaged egg products (like dough and batter) use pasteurised eggs to reduce the risk of food poisoning.

Even unprocessed eggs (rare) can be safe to eat -- only a fraction of eggs laid by hens carrying salmonella are contaminated, so less than 0.01% of eggs (in the US and Canada -- the US Northeast, Ontario, and Quebec have the highest incidence) have salmonella. The risk increases when you mix large numbers of eggs together (as restaraunts do). Even so, the risk of an contaminated egg dish is less than 1% (see Salmonella enteritidis).

Hmmmm, lots of us around here buy our eggs from local mennonite farms. I wonder if they've been washed?

--------------------
"You hold the Prince so I can duct tape his bottom to keep the bugs out." - My Mom

Posts: 193 | From: The Fabulous Finger Lakes, New York | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DaGuyWitBluGlasses

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaGuyWitBluGlasses     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csel's in 2nd Grade:
[QB] I'm not sure how that could happen, because cookie dough doesn't generally have a leavening agent to make it rise.

If you assume that all cookies use some sort of flour, than a Yahoo Advance search suggests that about half of all cookie recipes use either baking soda or baking powder. Plus another 5% use yeast (and not the other 2, about 15% of recipes use yeast)

So, most cookie doughs do use leavening agents.

(searching for ' cookie recipe flower ' turns up ~21,000,000, although without flower turns up 30,000,000 but i'd assume most of the difference if from pages that aren't recipes at all, jsut refer to them)
_____

Posts: 201 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLockeout   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Seconded. Add to it a nice bleeding steak. Steak tartare is just divine, and that's raw beef -and- raw egg. [Smile]

--------------------
Katesune: We still can't find the way to albuquerque, and glisp won't stop to ask for directions.
Glisp42: Of course not. I know where I'm going, I just don't know where I am right now

Twisted Links

Posts: 2599 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

quote:
Originally posted by LadyLockeout:
quote:
quote:

Seconded. Add to it a nice bleeding steak. Steak tartare is just divine, and that's raw beef -and- raw egg. [Smile]
Oh....yeah.....Now that gets me hot....mmmm.

--------------------

Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LadyLockeout:
quote:
quote:

Seconded. Add to it a nice bleeding steak. ...
roast beef tenderloin

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zamboni_Rodeo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zamboni_Rodeo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy B:
From the ASPCA THANKSGIVING SAFETY TIP: BREAD DOUGH'S A NO-NO FOR DOGS AND CATS
quote:
Pets who've eaten bread dough may experience abdominal pain, bloat, vomiting, disorientation and depression.

[hijack]
So... how do you tell if your pets are depressed?
[/hijack]

--------------------
Where's the challenge in wassailing at Christmas? The place is lousy with wassail!

Posts: 232 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DaGuyWitBluGlasses

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaGuyWitBluGlasses     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zamboni_Rodeo:

[/hijack]

Lethargic, unwilling to play, not wagging the tail when you get home, doesn't respond to the sound of the can opener or the rustle of the dog food bag…
Posts: 201 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fantome
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fantome   Author's Homepage   E-mail Fantome   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lucky you! I even have to microwave lunchmeat or I get listeria. I envy the cookie dough-eating crowd.
quote:
quote:

Posts: 33 | From: Idaho | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DaGuyWitBluGlasses:
quote:
Originally posted by Zamboni_Rodeo:

[/hijack]

Lethargic, unwilling to play, not wagging the tail when you get home, doesn't respond to the sound of the can opener or the rustle of the dog food bag…
Well heck. Those symptoms describe me pretty well. I've been wondering...

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's obviously time to bring in the lads from Confuse-a-Cat Ltd.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages