snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Food » McRib = surplus pork

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: McRib = surplus pork
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 23 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I have recently heard that McDonald's only offers the McRib
sandwich when the company can get it's hand on a supply of surplus pork.
I find this a little difficult to believe because, in my memory, the McRib
always makes a come-back around Halloween each year. If pork futures is
that regular a market, then why aren't we all making a killing off it
every year?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to mention that the McRib is available year-round in other countries. Add this one to the kangaroo meat, the grade D but edible, the worms and all the others...
Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Special Tinsel
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Special Tinsel   E-mail Special Tinsel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mmm... surplus pork.

I haven't had a McRib in a while.

Posts: 115 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The surplus pork I've used comes shredded in a can, not in McSlabs. Actually made some darn fine barbecue sandwiches.

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It might mean that McDonalds only makes the McRib when pork prices fall below a certain threshold price. It has been a while since I ate one, but I think that they are made from ground pork that is formed into the slabs, so I guess it could be from excess cuts. But excess cuts are always available, so I think it is more likely the price thing.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I second Rhi's theory.

(slobbers) Mmmm ... McRib.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stryder
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stryder   E-mail Stryder   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mc Ribs are good but the stores don't like them because they take more time and effort to put together. Get them while you can. and go to the Mc'Ds website to vote on keeping them.
Posts: 22 | From: Buffalo, MO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't pay close enough attention, Stryder.

THEY'RE BACK! W00T! 111ELEVENTY-ONE11111!!!!!

** ahem **
now returning to my normal curmudgeonly state

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bassist
Chess Nuts Boasting 'Round an Open Fire

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Bassist   E-mail Bassist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bettie Page Turner:
The surplus pork I've used comes shredded in a can, not in McSlabs. Actually made some darn fine barbecue sandwiches.

Barbecued Spam sandwiches are good?? Wouldn't all of the grease drain onto the coals and leave just the thin layer of meat and filler behind? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I'm singing and deranged!"

Posts: 239 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bethntim
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bethntim         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't care if they use ground up pig ass and toenails in them, McRibs are the bomb diggity. DH called on his way home from work the other night and said, "they're baa-aack!" and without missing I beat I said, "WHAT?!? MCRIBS?!?" I think if they were available year round they would lose their appeal, but being on a limited time basis down here I jump at the chance to get surplus pork.

--------------------
Take only pictures, leave only footprints...

Posts: 255 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am annoyed by the fact that McD's has been advertising the "McRib, last chance ever, we are never bringing it back." for almost as long as The Who and The Stones have been doing farewell tours.

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bjohn13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bjohn13     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You mean the McRib uses real pork?
Posts: 23 | From: Fargo, ND | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bassist:
quote:
Originally posted by Bettie Page Turner:

Barbecued Spam sandwiches are good?? Wouldn't all of the grease drain onto the coals and leave just the thin layer of meat and filler behind? [Big Grin]
Surplus pork is not Spam, it's just pork meat. Spam is a different (sort of) animal altogether.
[Python mode] I don't like Spam! [/Python mode]

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Goof
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Goof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Spam is ground and seasoned pork shoulder meat.

Saw this on Unwrapped on the Food Network.

--------------------
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid,than to open it and remove all doubt."- Mark Twain

Posts: 426 | From: Tucson, AZ (The Old Pueblo) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Never had Spam, Never had a McRib, never want to, but I haven't heard the McRib advertised here....in YEARS....maybe I'm just watching the wrong channel?

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
invisigoth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for invisigoth   E-mail invisigoth   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
why is it some fast food places have items only featured at certin times? its liek checkers(or rallys depenfing on which part of the contry your in) mushroom swiss burger. its only availble for limited times as well.
Posts: 46 | From: DeLand, FL | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Geoff.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff.   E-mail Geoff.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hhhmmm I havent seen a McRib advertised in a few years where I am. I only know this because I vist McDonalds on a nearly weekly basis thanks to my job. I need to start packing my lunch.

--------------------
With glory and passion no longer in fashion, The hero breaks his blade- Kansas, The Pinnacle

When the zombies attack, I will be ready. - Me

Posts: 31 | From: U Mass | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages