snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Food » Spicy food remedy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spicy food remedy
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 212 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I have heard many times that water is ineffective at relieving a
burning mouth from eating spicy foods because the heat-causing agents are
oil-based and water won't rinse them out of the mouth.

Do you know if this is true?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Have a milky or yogurty drink. Milk contains casein, a lipophilic protein that surrounds and washes away the fatty capsaicin molecules(which cause the 'burn') in much the same way that soap washes away grease. A nice heavy beer will do the trick too, to a lesser extent.

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard that chewing on a piece of dry bread can help, but I've never tried it - I love the burn.

ETA here's a site that backs up Jay Tea's suggestion, and the bread idea.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
Have a milky or yogurty drink. Milk contains casein, a lipophilic protein that surrounds and washes away the fatty capsaicin molecules(which cause the 'burn') in much the same way that soap washes away grease. A nice heavy beer will do the trick too, to a lesser extent.

I always make sure I have some yogurt close to hand when eating something spicy. There are places where they spice that too! [Eek!]

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The most effective thing at de-spicing a spicy mouth is sugar water... or something sweet. The Scoville scale, which rates how spicy a pepper is, is based on how many spritzes of sugar water on the tongue it took for the hot feeling to go away. (See "Good Eats" on the subject.)

Since capsaicin is a type of oil, water will do no good at all. Milk/dairy can help somewhat, as can bread. But sugar is the best way to put out the fire.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Iguana:
The most effective thing at de-spicing a spicy mouth is sugar water... or something sweet. The Scoville scale, which rates how spicy a pepper is, is based on how many spritzes of sugar water on the tongue it took for the hot feeling to go away. (See "Good Eats" on the subject.)

Well, yes and no. Yes, that's the basis of the Scoville scale. But that doesn't mean that sugar water is the best (or even effective) way of de-spicing.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's always worked for me. But then, I don't often eat spicy food, and I definitely don't go for crazy-hot things like habaneros. My hubby, who loves spicy foods, just grooves on the spicy-pain. But for me, sucking on a mint afterwards or a drink that's a bit on the sugary side does the trick for me. But then I imagine everyone has something that works for them.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, Sugar water won't do anything to wash away the spice. The sugar or the mint might provide you with an alternate sensation that you can concentrate on that allows you to psychologically block out the burning sensataion, but it won't physcially remove the heat.

Speaking of Scoville units, the Scoville rating of a pepper is the amount of times the pepper has to be diluted in sugar water for the sugar water to cancel the heat of the pepper. Since, the scoville rating of Jalapeno is max 8000, you would need 8000tsps of sugar water to cancel out the effect of 1 tsp of Jalapeno. 1 cup = 48 tsp. So, you need 167 cups of sugar water. Not very effective I would say, and Jalapeno is comparitively a mild pepper.

Here's the wikipedia article on Capsaicin

quote:

Capsaicin is a nonpolar molecule, and is therefore hydrophobic. Consequently, drinking water to reduce the burning caused by the molecule is ineffective, as the nonpolar capsaicin is unable to dissolve in the polar water molecules, and is instead spread across the surface of the mouth. This works by the same principle that causes oil and water to separate.

Instead, consuming foods high in fats and oils, such as milk or bread and butter, will help alleviate the burning. The lipophilic capsaicin is able to mix freely with the fats in the food and is removed from the surface of the mouth. Alcohol and alcoholic beverages also dissolve capsaicin due to the solvent characteristics of ethanol. Of course, over time the capsaicin will dissipate on its own accord.

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Eat a stick of butter. It will make you forget your pain.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My dad always taught us to pour a little salt on our palsm and then lick it up and follow it with some water. Seems to do the trick. But then, we're a spice-eating family, so maybe we just ignore it better.

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have heard that chewing on a piece of dry bread can help, but I've never tried it - I love the burn.
It doesn't have to be dry, any bread works nicely.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My family would always put straight sugar on the tongue. When I read about dairy working better (it said that's why sour cream is on a lot of spicy foods, don't know if that's accurate though) I tried dairy instead and it has worked better. It's rare something is hot enough for it to bother me that much though.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
El Chupacabra
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Chupacabra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So is it the fats as stated earlier or the protiens as stated even earlier? I.E. would drinking fat free milk help or no?
Posts: 83 | From: Southern California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, just out of interest, why, if after eating spicy foods a person feels so uncomfortable that they need to drink a pint of milk/eat bread/chew a stick of butter, why does that person eat spicy foods? Pick something bland off of the menu.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eddylizard:
So, just out of interest, why, if after eating spicy foods a person feels so uncomfortable that they need to drink a pint of milk/eat bread/chew a stick of butter, why does that person eat spicy foods? Pick something bland off of the menu.

It's fun!! Have you tried these fine products ? You have to either take a drop of it on a taco, or if you are truly adventurous, put 5 drops on a taco, relish the sensation for a moment and quickly eat 8 tacos.

It's the gastronomical equivalent of bungee jumping

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Because I like spicy stuff, but every now and then you bite into a seed or unmixed chunk of curry powder or something and get an unexpected zing.

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ask Macheath about the why. My son's notorious in one Thai restaurant. On the menu, their foods go up to five stars of "spiciness." He knows the chef, so he gets extra. They figure he's up to eleven stars now.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

The spiciness ratings at Thai resteraunts around here aren't too standard. They have "Mild", "Medium", "American" and "Thai". Ordering "American" sometimes get you on par with "Thai" and sometimes with "Medium". It really depends on how many chillies the chef managed to grab

The sure-shot way to get the spiciest dish is to dare the chef. One of my friends went to a Burmese resteraunts and said this loudly "I bet Burmese food is not as spicy as Indian. I think I am going to be comfortable eating their spiciest dish" The waiter overheard it and told the chef. My friend could finish maybe half of the chicken.

--------------------
Nico Sasha

Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the wing places around here has "Fire" wings. The sauce is ground habanero peppers with a little bit of some type of liquid to use as a carrier. I ate 6 of them before I had to stop. After the second one, my mouth was numb, but after I finished, the burn came back and lingered for about three hours. Needless to say, I scrubbed my hands before touching any part of my body...and the tips of my fingers were burned from the oils in the pepper.

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

We used to get plain cheese pizzas from Costco, and since they were rather bland, we would put sliced Jalapenos on them. So, one day, my wife was out shopping and the store was out of Jalapenos. SHe saw habaneros, and she thought they are like red colored Jalapenos. We put the sliced Habaneroes on the pizzas not knowing that Habaneroes are only 40 times spicier than Jalapenoes, baked the pizza well, so you know the Jalapeno spices go into the cheese. Both of us took the first bite [Embarrassed] We took the Habaneroes out of the pizzas, and ate the pizzas up. The cheese and the bread helped, but some of the seeds had gone into the cheese. We were high for couple of hours. Our tongues and lip didn't stop burning for an hour, and kissing gave the oddest of sensations

Don;t try this at home, kids. Normally, both of us eat spicy food, and on a bet, can eat a raw Jalapeno. Anyways, It was an incredibly stupid thing to do, and we were lucky that nothing worse happenned. We haven't tried it again, since.

--------------------
Nico Sasha

Graeybeard
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Graeybeard   E-mail Graeybeard   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffin 2020:
Needless to say, I scrubbed my hands before touching any part of my body...

As an aside, this reminds me of an event that took place at a local restaurant that we go to fairly often. We know the owners, chefs, waitstaff, and quite a few of the other regulars.

On one of our sojourns there, one of the other regulars told us about a time when the owner, M, had been busy chopping up habanero peppers for a dish he was making, and took a break to go to the bathroom.

The whole restaurant found out that he forgot to wash his hands before handling his "equipment" when they heard a sound reminiscent of Goofy yelling as he goes off a cliff, same pitch and all. [Eek!]

M was there when we were told this story and he confirmed that's what happened and that he's not going to forget to wash his hands after handling peppers like that for a good *long* time! [lol]

GB

--------------------
"It matters not, the size of dot, what colour skin, or paper thin;
What matters more, to set the score; the heart within, and spirit kin." PLH 2006

Posts: 25 | From: Burbank, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I like the spicy taste, but sometimes if it's a bit too spicy or there's too much of it it tingles enough to either be uncomfortable or so that I can't taste anymore.

I personally don't see the point of eating food so spicy you can't taste it at all, but I guess some people like that.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:

The pain in your mouth, yes. But the pain in your chest will only get worse.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diehard
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diehard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We go for the spicey stuff and we have found if you drink something hot like coffee or tea after you eat the spicey item it helps. Granted it will burn twice as bad for a while but then it goes away pretty fast. Try it sometime.

--------------------
Daddy "You are my "Special Angel" 1942-1999"

Posts: 440 | From: Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Jay:

The sure-shot way to get the spiciest dish is to dare the chef.

Doesn't aleays work. A friend of mine once told me how he and his uncle and cousin had seen an advert for "The best curry house in Paris" and since none of them had had good indian food for some time they went there and ordered the hottest item on the menu. It was totally bland so they sent it out to the kitchen with a request for som more taste. And again. And again. After the fourth ot fifth time the chef came out from the kitchen just to have a look at those crazy Scotsmen who didn't appreciate his food.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 84 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like a good hot* dish, plenty of chili to make the endorphines flow and the nose run even, but I do pity the sad fools whose chili addiction has lead to them eating rubbish - i've known chefs who have catered for the '11 stars' brigade before and they lament the fact flavour has gone out of the window in favour of the chili rush.

I recall cooking in a kitchen and we were serving a spicy dish. I had an enormous pile of chopped chili awaiting another batch and a customer had asked for more pep in his dish. He attended himself and I asked him if he'd like some fresh chili stirred into his food - I ended up dumping in about another 30-40 grams of chopped chili into his food and he sat and ate it like it was rice pudding. He was happy as as a sandboy, his one remaining taste bud must have been in ecstasy [Wink]

*it isn't heat at all, the pain the chili causes just tarts around with the same part of the brain that fire does [lol]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dlloyd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dlloyd     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I recall cooking in a kitchen and we were serving a spicy dish. I had an enormous pile of chopped chili awaiting another batch and a customer had asked for more pep in his dish. He attended himself and I asked him if he'd like some fresh chili stirred into his food - I ended up dumping in about another 30-40 grams of chopped chili into his food and he sat and ate it like it was rice pudding. He was happy as as a sandboy, his one remaining taste bud must have been in ecstasy [Wink]
I worked in a takeaway for a while, mainly in the kitchen because I didn't look particularly authentic. We had customers that would come in and complain about the lack of heat in our food (do I have to mention they were invariably drunk?). Most were happy once you put extra chilli in the sauce, but we had one persistant offender who would complain no matter how much you added. The trick is to add chilli and pepper. Lots of. He seemed happy with the standard recipe after that.
Posts: 99 | From: Dundee | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

When I used to make my own curries, I tended to find that adding mustard powder would increase the heat on the tongue (for the same amount of chilli) without increasing the unpleasantness at the other end the following day

--------------------

snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can tolerate just a bit of heat but I like it to have flavor, too, not just hot. I have always used milk or yogurt to soothe - seems to work.

My aunt, when she was a little girl, would steal the jar of jalapenos from the fridge and then hide behind it (apparently she could squeeze in between it and the counter) and eat the peppers, and start to cry, and rub her eyes, and still eat those peppers. Just eating and crying. Couldn't stop eating them. They tried to hide the peppers but she'd find them and do it again.

Some people just love the hot stuff.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Man of Wealth and Taste
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Man of Wealth and Taste   Author's Homepage   E-mail A Man of Wealth and Taste   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, I seem to have a lot to say about this. But then, spicy foods have always been one of my areas of expertise.

quote:
It's fun!! Have you tried these fine products ? You have to either take a drop of it on a taco, or if you are truly adventurous, put 5 drops on a taco, relish the sensation for a moment and quickly eat 8 tacos.
It's the gastronomical equivalent of bungee jumping

Oooh, brilliant. I just ordered a bottle of the 1.5 million Scoville stuff. I'm going to keep it next to my little jar of genuine wasabi on the section of my spice shelf where angels fear to tread (real wasabi, in my experience, is much hotter than the dyed-green European horseradish you get most places).

quote:
Ask Macheath about the why. My son's notorious in one Thai restaurant. On the menu, their foods go up to five stars of "spiciness." He knows the chef, so he gets extra. They figure he's up to eleven stars now.

There's a Chinese place in my hometown where I was similarly notorious in high school, pushing the chef to outdo himself every time I ate there (and I ate there at least once a week). Nowadays, when I get the urge to eat something hideously spicy, my standard request is "What's the hottest you can make this? Could you make it hotter than that for me?"

quote:
We used to get plain cheese pizzas from Costco, and since they were rather bland, we would put sliced Jalapenos on them.

Try this sometime with Sriracha sauce (the easiest-to-find American sort has a rooster on the bottle). It's way better than it sounds.

For my own amusing anecdote: when I was a freshman in college, some friends and I decided to have a habanero eating contest. The idea behind the contest was that everyone would eat one whole habanero, at the same time, and the last person to flinch won. I chanted "I am one with the universe" out loud until I had seen all my friends flinch, then finally started gasping for breath. There was no prize, just bragging rights. [Big Grin]

As an addendum to the above story, I started drinking beer to calm the burning in my mouth right after this... it took about half an hour to put the fire out, and by the time this was accomplished I was quite drunk. In short, a Good Time was had by All.

--------------------
Pleased to meet you. Hope you guessed my name.

"You might call this my dark side, but I wouldn't put it that way exactly. It's my only side."
-Me

Posts: 71 | From: Pennsylvania/Alaska | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MED06
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 15 posted      Profile for MED06   E-mail MED06   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
apparently, straight vodka is meant to do the trick, never tried it though, can't stand the stuff, like drinking turps, never tried that either btw. [Wink]

--------------------
"...excuse me while I interrupt myself..." - Murray Walker

Posts: 16 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

YOMANK Brad. [lol]

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffin 2020:
One of the wing places around here has "Fire" wings. The sauce is ground habanero peppers with a little bit of some type of liquid to use as a carrier. I ate 6 of them before I had to stop. After the second one, my mouth was numb, but after I finished, the burn came back and lingered for about three hours. Needless to say, I scrubbed my hands before touching any part of my body...and the tips of my fingers were burned from the oils in the pepper.

Which place is that? The hottest wings I know of around here are the "blazin'" wings at Buffalo Wild Wings. The atomic wings at wingstop are pretty hot too.

I have orderd the blazin' wings several times, but I got an order at a location out in Lubbock that was just too hot to eat. I had to wipe the sauce off with a paper towel.

But in general, as was said by Claire on an episode of Six Feet Under, I like food that bites back!

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A bit ago I had Dave's Insanity Sauce. Unfortunately, it wouldn't come out and I had to bang the bottle, meaning rather than the droplet used by my mates, I ended up with about a teaspoon full.

two hours, two pints of milk, one yoghurt drink, and a lot of screaming later, I could just about talk without flinching.

meh.

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages