snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Food » Vegemite banned in USA?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vegemite banned in USA?
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 101 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just heard that Vegemite has been "banned" in the US because of "folate". I did a Google search and all it turned up is this blog about it. I'm not overly fond of Vegemite, but it seems an odd thing to ban.

Does anyone know about it- if it happens to be true and why they'd ban "folate" (which I understand is folic acid).

Thanks.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, this site says it's true, but I don't know how accurate a media source it is. I do like the comment on the blog about "if evil had a taste" -- that's too funny!!

When my AFS sister (exchange student) came over, she brought a supply of vegemite with her and had her family send more when she ran out of it. You couldn't find it anywhere in the US at the time (early 80s). But I have seen it in stores. I suspect, seeing as how Kraft is the parent company now, this will all get cleared up.

But I still won't eat any of it - blecchhh!!! [Frown]

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So far I've found some OASIS (Operation and Administrative System for Import Support) refusals 1 and 2 which seem to be labeling issues. It's been banned before:
quote:
Conversely, in the early 2000s, the US FDA prevented the import of Vegemite from Australia, citing, as the reason, that the folic acid levels are too high. In 2005 it was impossible for Australian expatriates to buy Vegemite in jars of larger than 113 grams (4 oz.).
Still looking...

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SiKboy
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiKboy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This site
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20623973-2,00.html

Also claims its been banned because Vegemite "contains folate, which under a technicality, America allows to be added only to breads and cereals." It quotes a Kraft spokesperson essentially saying that its not a big deal because the didnt sell much in america anyway.

--------------------
This Space For Rent.

Posts: 210 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I was right then- it is an odd thing to ban. Especially if its merely for the folate content.

I think it is kind of funny how they say the US was a "small market". I bet the folks who can't get it anymore aren't thinking that.

I was told my opened-barely-eaten-from jar would be like gold now. [lol]

Whoops, I shouldn't have said that. Should I expect a visit from authorities for having an illegal substance in my home?

Thanks a lot, I'll be passing along the news links.

--------------------
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Honeybunch
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Honeybunch     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This was in our national newspapers today, and the issue for us lot is that customs officers in the States are confiscating Aussies travelling into the country with their beloved jars of Vegemite. It's unAustralian, I tells ya!

By the by, for all you Vegemite haters out there, you're *not* supposed to spread it like peanut butter. On toast you slather on a nice dose of butter & then a smidgen of Vegemite just so that it has a nice filmy quality to it. Mmmmm yummy, & full of vitamin B too! Cheesy Vegemite sammiches are awesome too. Oh, & it's a great additive when you're making a spag bolognase, too...but I think far too many Italians will want my blood for admitting that! [Smile]

Posts: 12 | From: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I tried it the "correct" way, Sue made sure of that -- but it just tasted all yeasty and mineraly to me. But to each their own -- Sue could never develop a taste for PB&J sammiches! And the idea that we had jello salad as part of the meal instead of for dessert caused her much amusement!

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Honeybunch

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Honeybunch     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And the idea that we had jello salad as part of the meal instead of for dessert caused her much amusement!
Jelly as part of the meal? Please, say it isn't so!
Posts: 12 | From: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tabby Cat

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tabby Cat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Honeybunch, I presume you're referring to the Melbourne Herald Sun article? A search of the ABC Geenews site (usually pretty reliable) came up with no traces of the story.However I did find a copy in the Geelong Advertiser of the incident in question here and also in the Courier Mail here.

Did the MHS article vary much? Reading it, the evidence they provide is rather anecdotal - no comments from either Kraft or US authorities in question.
BTW Jocko Lantern that link appears to have been removed - was it similar to these two? Was there a name for the Kraft spokesman?

Personally I have my doubts about the veracity of the story - a percieved attack on an Australian icon would be frontpage news on every newspaper, TV and radio source. The fact that up until now I haven't heard of it except for a rather bemusing editorial cartoon in my local paper (the paper itself never caried a story related to it) strikes me as somewhat odd.

The fact that the majority of the article relies on the words of "former Geelong Advertiser reporter Daniel Fogarty" also strikes me as somewhat suspicious.

As for the taste? I like Vegemite but like most Australians I've been raised on it. Generally I prefer savoury to sweet anyway. Perhaps it's cultural tastes thing. I've known my family to mix peanut butter and vegemite and peanut butter and cream cheese (hiccup inducing), but the one time PJB was tried the verdict was unanimously "Too sweet!". Certainly I find the poptarts and cheerios cereal (as opposed to the yummy little sausages) that my friend from the US likes far too sweet.

Posts: 12 | From: Brisbane, QLD, Australia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honeybunch:
quote:
And the idea that we had jello salad as part of the meal instead of for dessert caused her much amusement!
One example of Jello salad.
 -

Usually lime jello for veggies, strawberry or cherry for fruits. There are (were?) cranberry Jello variations for Thanksgiving.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scari at haunted home:
 -

Usually lime jello for veggies, strawberry or cherry for fruits. There are (were?) cranberry Jello variations for Thanksgiving.

Oscar.. Mike.. Golf.. Eleventy-one

At times like these the cultural divide between our two nations just seems insurmountable.

Dropbear

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
00-Saleen
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 00-Saleen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you get that pic from the Gallery of Regrettable Food?

I thought I saw vegemite (or maybe it was marmite) at World Market not too long ago. Anyway, I can't see US Customs confiscating Vegemite, as it's jarred and isn't a fruit or meat and isn't in a commercial quanitity.

Posts: 239 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scari at haunted home:
quote:
quote:
 -

My stepmother makes red jello with fruit cocktail. It's quite tasty. I think it's a regional thing.

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jello with vegetables has always frightened me just a little bit. I'm also not much of a fan of jello with apples and/or nuts, either. Oh, and cream cheese? That brings back memories of childhood when my mother used to try to make us eat very exotic congealed salads. Yeesh...

But, other than those, I really like jello a lot. Plain is my favorite, though orange jello with bananas cut up in it is awesome!

[P.S. While I've seen marmite in my local supermarket, I haven't seen vegemite. Not that I have looked particularly hard for it, admittedly.]

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
At times like these the cultural divide between our two nations just seems insurmountable.
I'll second that. Gimme my Vegemite any day, in preference to any foodstuff that wobbles and/or has stuff suspended in it - sweet or savoury!

When we went to the States in 2003, we had two jars of Vegemite and nobody quizzed us - though they were not big jars (one was 175g which I think is the smallest you can get at the supermarket, the other was one of the 42g 'souvenir' jars you can only get at the airport).

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Honeybunch

quote:
Oscar.. Mike.. Golf.. Eleventy-one

Hee! Good 'un [Smile]

Tabby Cat's right, though, you really need to have been brought up on Vegemite to appreciate it & eventually it becomes comfort food for those nasty apres big night out hangovers. So, if you're an Australian with an appetite for Vegemite, somewhere lurking in your past is a sadistic parent with little value for your gag reflex and tastebuds shovelling the stuff down your throat. Bless 'em!

Honeybunch

quote:
Personally I have my doubts about the veracity of the story - a percieved attack on an Australian icon would be frontpage news on every newspaper, TV and radio source. The fact that up until now I haven't heard of it except for a rather bemusing editorial cartoon in my local paper (the paper itself never caried a story related to it) strikes me as somewhat odd.
Tabby Cat, I can imagine Naomi Robson flying into LAX with a hidden camera for this story! She might even find some poor undernourished Aussies to rescue...but of course, she wouldn't have the right visa for it [Wink]
FrogFeathers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried Vegemite in the proper Aussie way, prepared for me by an actual Aussie. [Wink] I didn't like it, but I also have to watch my sodium intake and it tasted awfully salty to me.

As for those Jello (brand name) salads, trust me when I say it isn't an ALL-American thing, I find them disgusting. I can barely choke down plain Jello much less one with a ton of crap in it. I'd say it was "regional", but as an Army brat, I've lived in many regions.

I also don't like PB&J sandwhiches, but that has nothing to do with regions. I just don't like them.

--------------------

Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frog_Feathers:
I tried Vegemite in the proper Aussie way, prepared for me by an actual Aussie. [Wink] I didn't like it, but I also have to watch my sodium intake and it tasted awfully salty to me.

That's funny - compared with Marmite, I find Vegemite not to be salty enough...!
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers

I've not tried Marmite and just going on how I liked Vegemite, I'm in no hurry. [Wink]

I have a friend who lives in Cornwall and she gets Vegemite for her SO from my Aussie friend (they met through me, it isn't like they're not friends too). Its all a rich tapestry of international food-sharing. Of course, I'm getting the best deal- in exchange for crappy American things (like Oreos, Kool-Aide, Reese's cups), I get amazing Cadbury chocolate and some of the best tea I've ever had. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother makes a green Jello salad with, I think, chopped apples, celery, and walnuts -- sort of a waldorf salad in lime jello. My brothers love it; I won't touch it. But at least she doesn't put green olives in it. I love green olives, and Jello's okay, but not together.

According to a sermon my minister gave last year, the whole green-gelatin-with-green-veggies thing was started by Fannie Farmer, who liked to group foods by color.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't mind jello, and I actually serve a jello salad once a year. But I draw the line at putting vegtables in jello. It's just wrong. I should also point out that I know from experience that green jello in quantity smells a lot like Pine-sol.

Beach...we should ban vegtable jello salads long before vegemite...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers

Another article

This one makes it seem more ridiculous. At least, to me.

--------------------

Tori

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Tori   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
US government denies it's banned vegemite

A more in-depth article here.

Looks like we've been had. [Smile]

P.S. Jello salad - it's definitely a regional thing. Not for the faint of heart.

Posts: 26 | From: Darwin, NT, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angry Snail
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Angry Snail     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Tabby Cat, I can imagine Naomi Robson flying into LAX with a hidden camera for this story! She might even find some poor undernourished Aussies to rescue...but of course, she wouldn't have the right visa for it [Wink]
YOMANK!

I have been brought up on vegemite, and I used to eat it straight out of the jar on a spoon! I remember hearing on the radio a couple of aussies living in the US say that if it was banned, they would be moving back to Aus.. thats committment for you!

Vegemite is the ultimate condiment. I find it unusual that they would ban it based on its folate, when we are trying to now stick it in everything!

Angry "We're happy little vegemites" Snail.

ETA - There was just a piece on the news here saying that yes, vegemite has been confirmed as being a banned substance and "unfit for human consumption", however it will still be sold in a few select store, customs have not been told to confiscate it from incoming passengers, and people will be allowed to bring it in, as long as it is in non-commercial amounts.

--------------------
snails only mate once a lifetime, you would be pissed off too.

Posts: 97 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Goof
Deck the Malls

Icon 220 posted      Profile for The Goof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have been brought up on vegemite, and I used to eat it straight out of the jar on a spoon!
I just threw up in my mouth a little after reading that. If there isn't a ban there should be, who can they alow such an obviouse biological weapon to be produced. [Razz]

--------------------
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid,than to open it and remove all doubt."- Mark Twain

Posts: 426 | From: Tucson, AZ (The Old Pueblo) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kbbpll

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kbbpll   E-mail kbbpll   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Die Capacitrix:
So far I've found some OASIS (Operation and Administrative System for Import Support) refusals 1 and 2 which seem to be labeling issues. It's been banned before:
quote:
Conversely, in the early 2000s, the US FDA prevented the import of Vegemite from Australia, citing, as the reason, that the folic acid levels are too high. In 2005 it was impossible for Australian expatriates to buy Vegemite in jars of larger than 113 grams (4 oz.).
Still looking...
If you search fda.gov on Marmite you will find some more recent "refusals" - Sep 21 2006. Again these appear to be nutrition labeling issues. (One of my Aussie mates swears by Marmite. My jar of Vegemite in the fridge I just discovered has an expiration date of Oct 1996, which my mate confirms is just reaching its prime.)
Posts: 1 | From: Bellvue, CO | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BacardiSpice
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BacardiSpice   E-mail BacardiSpice   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Favourite vegemite recipe:

2 slices toast
vegemite dabbed on
Lavish layer of avocado

Creaminess of the avo balances the intensity of the vegemite perfectly - yum!

Although on the Marmite v. Vegemite issue, I'd go with Promite...

Posts: 221 | From: Sydney | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angry Snail
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angry Snail     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to live on vegemite and lettuce sandwiches when I was at university.

I can't say I've ever had it with avocado! hmmm..

Snail.

--------------------
snails only mate once a lifetime, you would be pissed off too.

Posts: 97 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages