snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Food » Uncapping recyclables

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Uncapping recyclables
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: IS THE RUMOUR CIRCULATING ABOUT RECYCLING TRUE? ACCORDING TO THIS RUMOUR, IF YOU DO NOT UNCAP RECYCLABLE PLASTICS THEY WON'T RECYCLE THEM BECAUSE IT "COSTS TOO MUCH MONEY FOR THE WORKERS TO UNCAP THE BOTTLES THEMSELVES"...
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I seriously doubt the plastic shredding machine cares if the bottles are capped or uncapped. The lid is recyclable as well.

Oh, and stop yelling.

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I go to Safeway, the machines take the bottles with or without lids. If I go to WinCo, the machine spits the bottles back at me if I don't remove them. I leave the lids on so they are cleaner to store.

Of course, I live in a state that gives us a $.05 deposit, so I don't know how it is where people recycle bottles at the kerb.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our recycling program specifies "no lids". Don't know about the bottle-return machines as I rarely drink soda.

--------------------
"You hold the Prince so I can duct tape his bottom to keep the bugs out." - My Mom

Posts: 193 | From: The Fabulous Finger Lakes, New York | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Darth Credence
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darth Credence     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, since it is a monetary loss to recycle most things (metals, especially aluminum, being the big exception) I see no way this could be true.
Recycling is a bad deal.

--------------------
Give yourself to the Dark Side. It is the only way you can save your friends.

Posts: 262 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Penny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always uncap plastic bottles before throwing them in the recycle bin, using the rationale that with the lids on they take up unnecessary volume, as they can't be (easily) crushed.
Posts: 340 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
liebeslied

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liebeslied     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The net loss can't be much worse than the cost of trucking everything to a landfill, can it?

Do landfills ever get full? Or do they just become ever-growing mountains?

Posts: 105 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lil' Molly
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil' Molly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our local recycling pick up service says to remove all lids from glass and plastic bottles and jars.

--------------------
... and now back to your regularly scheduled lurking.

I have 15 points and owe 1 keyboard!

Posts: 394 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
paisley claus
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paisley claus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by liebeslied:
The net loss can't be much worse than the cost of trucking everything to a landfill, can it?

Do landfills ever get full? Or do they just become ever-growing mountains?

You betcha landfills get full.

Once they're full they have to cover them up and close the site down, then continue to monitor them that nothing is leaking, and ideally they'll install a gas collection system to reclaim the methane.

ETA: Generally the lids are a different plastic than the container, so it probably depends on if your specific center recycles that type of plastic. I highly doubt the recycling center throws the whole thing away if they don't accept the lid.

--------------------
"Oh, now we're going to start judging each other on things we've done?? Real fair!"

Posts: 1114 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The plastic lids on soda bottles are different kinds of plastic and they have to be separated, weather by law or otherwise. But separating and unscrewing each and every plastic bottle is very inefficient and slows the process down.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ULTRAGLORIA
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What Diddy said.

Remove your caps. Throw them away.

Don't recycle plastics other than the kinds your recycler takes. Mixing plastics isn't good.

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Typically, I don't put the lids back on when I'm done; both lid and bottle get put in separately.

Of course, I have serious issues with my recyclers: they only pick up twice per month and they give us a small container to use for our recycles. With 2 growing boys and a DH who loves his milk, not to mention the other items, we can fill it in a week. So I've taken to using a 55 gallon garbage can with "RECYCLE" painted on both sides in big black letters. Now either they're not bright enough to read, or they're too lazy to stop at my house (I am the only house on my side for about 3/4 mile), because they're constantly leaving my recycles. When I complain, the boro says to just put them out the next time. In what? By that time, I'll need two garbage cans that they can conveniently forget. [Mad]

Sorry. Didn't mean to hijack.

--------------------
"Maybe getting in the last word doesn't really mean you win." - The Clarks

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ask your recycler what you're supposed to do. Here in Switzerland, people are requested to flatten their PET bottles and then put the lids on to keep the bottles flat. Even in this picture for the recycle and win contest show a flattened PET bottle with the lid.

(For those that don't read German and are curious, people can enter the contest by writing their name and address on a PET bottle and then put the bottle in the recycling for a chance to win 1000 CHF.)

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I get rid of the caps and the rings. Some of the rings can be tough to remove though.

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Latiam

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Latiam   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't know the reasoning was that they're different plastics. Hmm.
I tend to leave the lids on until I take them out to the curb, and then as I'm transferring them to the bigger container, take each lid off. Then I can make sure they're empty as I do it. This is for water bottles from my lunch, etc. that end up in my room. If I'm putting them right in our blue box, it goes off. Once in a while one gets through.
I understand it for water bottles, but not for, say, Philly Cream cheese, where the lid is pretty clearly the same material as the container. But I guess it's just simpler to say all lids off rather than try to make distinctions.
Here we also have a Green Bin program, where kitchen leftovers and paper towels and the like are collected in a small plastic lined paper bag in a small green bin and transferred to a large plastic lined green bin, which you can wheel out to the street. Or you can just carry the bag out there. They pick that up separately and make compost out of it. I really wish they'd do that in the school.

--------------------
Good morning Starshine! The Earth says hello.

Posts: 119 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver_slayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I live in Toronto. Recently, the city introduced a "Green Bin" program that basically recycles organics - since we have to ship most of our trash south of the border it is actually quite a sensible idea. While I was living in the semi-suburbian area the program worked perfectly. However, now that I've moved to a downtown condo it looks like there's a fatal flow in this approach. Most of the garbage I generate is either styrofoam or plastic bags. I really wish we had something in place to recycle these, as they hardly ever degrade. What's worse, there's already some kind of infrastructure in place, as UofT defenitely recycles its styrofoam (with all those food vans lined up St. George's it also makes perfect sense). What really pisses me off is that there are no plans in place to do this - although, I have to say, recently we were allowed to dump cans, bottles and paper in the same bin without sorting them first.

At some point in time, I also have to say, I've heard rumors that crashed cans won't be recycled as the recycling companies are throwing away the top and bottom and supposedly recycling walls only.

Posts: 246 | From: Toronto, ON / Kyiv, Ukraine | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Latiam

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Latiam   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by beaver_slayer:
I live in Toronto. Recently, the city introduced a "Green Bin" program that basically recycles organics - since we have to ship most of our trash south of the border it is actually quite a sensible idea. While I was living in the semi-suburbian area the program worked perfectly. However, now that I've moved to a downtown condo it looks like there's a fatal flow in this approach. Most of the garbage I generate is either styrofoam or plastic bags. I really wish we had something in place to recycle these, as they hardly ever degrade. What's worse, there's already some kind of infrastructure in place, as UofT defenitely recycles its styrofoam (with all those food vans lined up St. George's it also makes perfect sense). What really pisses me off is that there are no plans in place to do this - although, I have to say, recently we were allowed to dump cans, bottles and paper in the same bin without sorting them first.

At some point in time, I also have to say, I've heard rumors that crashed cans won't be recycled as the recycling companies are throwing away the top and bottom and supposedly recycling walls only.

Here we are able to recycle plastic bags in our blue box, as of I think 2 years ago - you might want to check that as we're fairly close geographically.
Otherwise, a lot of grocery stores used to have places where you could drop off bags of plastic bags (brand didn't matter) to be recycled. A few still have them.

It is getting kind of silly - cans and bottles here, cardboard piled, stacked, and tied there, etc.

--------------------
Good morning Starshine! The Earth says hello.

Posts: 119 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nolly
Fin City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nolly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Latiam:
Here we are able to recycle plastic bags in our blue box, as of I think 2 years ago - you might want to check that as we're fairly close geographically.
Otherwise, a lot of grocery stores used to have places where you could drop off bags of plastic bags (brand didn't matter) to be recycled. A few still have them.

It is getting kind of silly - cans and bottles here, cardboard piled, stacked, and tied there, etc.

I'm in Ontario as well (Newmarket) and, I agree, the bi-monthly pickup for recycling is getting ridiculous. I usually ony have one 1/2 full bag of garbage a week, yet can easily fill 3-4 recycling bins in 2 weeks. (we also pay for our garbage here; anything over 2 bags is $1/bag)
Luckily, we don't have to sort (although I do rinse and remove labels)

--------------------
DON'T waste money on expensive paper shredders to avoid having your identity stolen. Simply place a few dog turds in the bin bags along with your old bank statements..

Posts: 102 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages