snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Food » Ice-cold watermelon is less nutritious

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ice-cold watermelon is less nutritious
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Watermelons stored at room temperature deliver more nutrients than refrigerated or freshly picked melons

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's interesting, but a shame. I like my melons icy cold.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've only heard that it's better to buy whole than sliced at the supermarket or wherever b/c once it's cut it's losing nutrients or some variant of that.

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ILS
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILS   E-mail ILS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But it doesn't say you can't eat it ice cold, just that if it is stored at cooler temperatures reduced the production of the healthy anti-oxidents.

So store the watermelon at room temperater so it can produce the extra goodness after it is picked for a few days, then dump it in the ice a little while before you eat it.

The best of both worlds.

Posts: 287 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Snopester meet at my house! My watermelon patch is going gangbusters.I'll pick 'em a couple days beforehand and store them... THEN inject them with the vodka. That way you get ALL the good stuff! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was pretty common for watermelon to be stored at room temperature? I know all the stores that I've seen watermelon for sale at have them out at room temperature, or sometimes sitting outside.
I store watermelon at room temp when I get it home as well, and just stick it in the fridge to chill on the day I'm planning to eat it...

Do most people keep watermelons refrigerated as soon as they get them home?

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually put my watermelon in the fridge right away, but then watermelon doesn't last too long at my house. [Smile]

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
medtchva
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for medtchva   E-mail medtchva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't believe they spent money on this study.
Posts: 229 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What are they gonna say next, that the extra salt I sometimes put on my melons isn't good for me? [Roll Eyes]

Long story short I'm not buying my produce @ Sam's club anymore although I love the store.

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by medtchva:
Can't believe they spent money on this study.

Why? I can think of worse ways to spend money.

Do you think the nutritional value of food is unimportant, or just that it's common knowledge anyway generally not to store fruit at too low temperatures (with exceptions of course when highly perishable).

Tomatoes should never be stored too cold as well. When temperature drops below a certain degree (I forgot which) even for a short period, all secondary ripening processes stop permanently.

Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages