snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Food » Popcorn Chicken? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Popcorn Chicken?
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I find nothing wrong with eating snake meat. My mother in law has an unhealthy fear of snakes. I think that has more to do with it than anything else.

I always did want to try rattlesnake, see if it does "taste like chicken."

--------------------
"Maybe getting in the last word doesn't really mean you win." - The Clarks

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RLobinske
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RLobinske   E-mail RLobinske   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Rattlesnake tastes kind of like a less-gamey alligator.

I suppose if you cover it with enought flavorless breading and wing sauce, you could get it to taste like chicken. [Wink]

Posts: 296 | From: Crawfordville, Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kitsune26:
I think the "they use funny meats" extends to most non-american (and what is american food exactly?) places-there was a rumor going on in Klamath Falls the the Senior Frog's mexican restaurant "was raided by the health department and there was goat and donkey carcasses in the walk-in."
Of course, there wasn't any types of media coverage what so ever, but everyone knew it was true.
You know, I always did think the chicken taquitos were a bit stringy. [Wink]

I know nothing of Senior Frog's, but it would not be unusual for a Mexican restaurant to stock goat meat. Barbacued goat is extremely delicious in a burrito.

Thistle "mmm, birria!" S

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleS:
quote:
Originally posted by Kitsune26:
I think the "they use funny meats" extends to most non-american (and what is american food exactly?) places-there was a rumor going on in Klamath Falls the the Senior Frog's mexican restaurant "was raided by the health department and there was goat and donkey carcasses in the walk-in."
Of course, there wasn't any types of media coverage what so ever, but everyone knew it was true.
You know, I always did think the chicken taquitos were a bit stringy. [Wink]

I know nothing of Senior Frog's, but it would not be unusual for a Mexican restaurant to stock goat meat. Barbacued goat is extremely delicious in a burrito.

Thistle "mmm, birria!" S

I don't think it's odd either. But in K Falls it was scandalous- "They're trying to poison us with funny meat!!"
Yeah.
ETA: removed a sentence to add clarification.
ETA: My brain's lost somewhere. There was nothing to ever indicate that Senior Frog's really did have dead goats or donkies anwhere in the walk-in at any point in time. It was yet another FOAF.
ETA AGAIN: removed a potentially offensive part.

--------------------
I'm as giddy as a Japanese school girl in an octopus tank.

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aquadude
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquadude     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Straying to the topic....

quote:
Hey Aquadude, about how old is your "old history teacher?" Because you say "he was in his teens" at the time of the alleged meow-mix incident, but KFC didn't introduce popcorn chicken until the 1990's (1992 IIRC). If he was 19 in 1992, giving him the most age credit possible, then he'd only be 33 now. Your profile says you're 22, so you took History what, 5 years ago? So your "old history teacher" was 28, max?
You are correct, sir. I had this teacher in high school, and he's 34 now. And expecting.

Anyway, I could try to e-mail him...

--------------------
¡El Toro Loco!

Posts: 63 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Goat is a pretty usual meat for the Caribbean, but I doubt they'd be trying to pass it as chicken - if those rumours are true then they would presumably have been selling it as goat, to people who wanted goat.

You used to be able to buy goat curry at a takeaway in Ipswich, even. It was like a fairly tender but fatty and less flavourful lamb. At least, that was my impression when I tried it.* I only had it once before the takeaway disappeared. I think I might have had it again in an African restaurant in Vancouver, but in the end I think I went for ostrich that time; I'm sure goat was on the menu though. I would happily eat it again.

*(edit) At the time I even wondered whether they just sold lamb labelled as goat!

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Goat curry is a favourite of mine, Richard W. There used to be a Jamaican restaurant on Cowley Road which I went to as often as I could afford. They used to charge whatever they felt like, and the atmosphere was very authentic. I can't remember the name, though.

I was in the Caribbean a couple of months ago and my chief regret was not having time for more goat curry.

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
Goat is a pretty usual meat for the Caribbean, but I doubt they'd be trying to pass it as chicken - if those rumours are true then they would presumably have been selling it as goat, to people who wanted goat.

I was being silly with the stringy chicken comment. Hince the winky face.
As for the rumors, given that there was never any media coverage, nor was anything ever mentioned by the health department, it was more than likely just muck raking.

--------------------

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Goat is sold locally as goat.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
onein6billion
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onein6billion   E-mail onein6billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago:
Rattlesnake meat tastes like chicken.

I don't know about rattlesnake meat, but alligator meat tastes like chicken but it's a bit greasier. There's a great restaurant on Bourbon St in New Orleans (can't remember the name but they have live local bands play at dinner) that serves what I guess could almost be called "popcorn 'gator" with the best dipping sauce. Yummy.

--------------------
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
"Divorce is not caused because 50% of marriages end in gayness." - Jon Stewart
my space on myspace--now showing "80's Video Of The Week"

Posts: 278 | From: Bel Air, MD | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Alligator reminded me of something quite specific, but I couldn't work out what. I thought it was a bit like pork, but chewier and it tasted slightly fishy and oily. I wasn't that impressed really; worth trying but I wouldn't go out of my way to have it again.

This was in Australia, though, so it might have been a different sort of alligator from the sort people eat in the USA.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zachary Fizz:
Goat curry is a favourite of mine, Richard W. There used to be a Jamaican restaurant on Cowley Road which I went to as often as I could afford. They used to charge whatever they felt like, and the atmosphere was very authentic. I can't remember the name, though.

I was in the Caribbean a couple of months ago and my chief regret was not having time for more goat curry.

nitpick, it is curry goat, rather than goat curry.

DocJ cooks a mean Curry Goat.

I can also recomend Goat in a greek stifado style ala DocJ.

Mutton is very good as well, I've done a couple of mutton stews- although it does take some getting used to the smell of the raw meat- very gamey.

--------------------
once known as little miss

"I don't Pretend to be an ordinary Housewife" Elizabeth Taylor

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lgreywolf
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lgreywolf   E-mail Lgreywolf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Alligator reminded me of something quite specific, but I couldn't work out what. I thought it was a bit like pork, but chewier and it tasted slightly fishy and oily. I wasn't that impressed really; worth trying but I wouldn't go out of my way to have it again.

This was in Australia, though, so it might have been a different sort of alligator from the sort people eat in the USA.

I had smoked alligator tail served as a spread (with dinner rolls) once in Florida, and to me it was a bit like deviled ham. I don't recall any fishiness to it.

In local supermarkets you can buy packages of cut up goat, which looks like stew meat. You can also get whole or cut up frozen rabbit, pig feet, chicken feet, and various other animal parts. There's also a Halal market down the street a ways that offers "Beef, Lamb, Goat, Veal, Chicken."

--------------------
"Most Jewish holidays can be summed up very simply: They tried to kill us. We won. Let's eat." - my in-laws' Rabbi.

Posts: 430 | From: North of Boston, MA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doc J.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wee wifey:

Big Dance style [Big Grin]
Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc J.:
quote:
Originally posted by wee wifey:

Big Dance style [Big Grin]
them love it [lol]

--------------------
once known as little miss

"I don't Pretend to be an ordinary Housewife" Elizabeth Taylor

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aquadude:
Straying to the topic....

quote:
Hey Aquadude, about how old is your "old history teacher?" Because you say "he was in his teens" at the time of the alleged meow-mix incident, but KFC didn't introduce popcorn chicken until the 1990's (1992 IIRC). If he was 19 in 1992, giving him the most age credit possible, then he'd only be 33 now. Your profile says you're 22, so you took History what, 5 years ago? So your "old history teacher" was 28, max?
You are correct, sir. I had this teacher in high school, and he's 34 now. And expecting.

Anyway, I could try to e-mail him...

First, I am not now nor have I ever been comfortable being addressed as Sir. Ma'am is acceptable.

Second, if he's 34 now then it is mathematically impossible for him to have had KFC's Popcorn Chicken as a teen.

Third, what is he expecting? A child? That would be far more thread-worthy.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RLobinske
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RLobinske   E-mail RLobinske   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
Goat is sold locally as goat.

When I worked construction as a teenager (c1980), the crew I was on would stop at a little barbeque house that had some of the tastiest bbq goat...Mmmm, barbeque... [Smile]
Posts: 296 | From: Crawfordville, Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aquadude
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquadude     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, his wife is expecting. The baby is going to be named either Donovan or Fiona Lee.

--------------------
¡El Toro Loco!

Posts: 63 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, his wife is expecting. The baby is going to be named either (names redacted).

Does your former teacher know that you are posting this information on an internet message board?

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How nice for his wife. Still doesn't address how he could have had Popcorn Chicken as a teen when it didn't come out until he was at least 20.

Do please get in touch with him and get some real information, instead of FOAF stuff. Health department reports, that sort of thing. Then perhaps we will start to consider whether you have discovered the only case of this happening at a KFC anywhere in the U.S., ever.

Until then, however, you're just perpetuating the same old UL -- that won't win you any fans around here.

Four Kitties

--------------------

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
But Aquadude is in New Jersey, not Jersey -- UK usage most likely doesn't apply.

I live in Ohio- we often use the term "old" in place of "former" here too.

ETA:

quote:
Originally posted by Lonely Mountain:
I had an old college roommate...

So was your roommate OLD or do you mean "former" roomate? [Razz]

This is a perfect example Kitties...

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

quote:
Originally posted by Bach_girl:
quote:
Originally posted by Lonely Mountain:
I had an old college roommate...

So was your roommate OLD or do you mean "former" roomate? [Razz]

This is a perfect example Kitties...

I will concede the usage of "old" to mean "former," but I still think this particular old/former teacher was repeating a tired UL with nothing to back it up.

Four Kitties

--------------------

Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Alligator reminded me of something quite specific, but I couldn't work out what. (snip) This was in Australia, though, so it might have been a different sort of alligator from the sort people eat in the USA.

To be pedantic, that most likely would have been crocodile you ate, rather than alligator. Alligators are in the same order as crocodiles, but they're in a seperate family. Alligators are unique to the southeast US and China, and they're endangered in China. I have no idea what the difference in taste might be.

And yes, goat meat is not that unusual. Its weird that people would choose it as the basis of an urban legend. I can't imagine that a restaurant would slaughter them and have carcasses around when they could just buy it. Donkey meat on the other hand, I've never heard of in the US, only in third world countries. Donkeys are a worker animal, which, in Western cultures, generally exempts it from the menu. Still, economically it couldn't possibly be cost effective to butcher it by hand in the US and pass it off as something else.

Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

[/QUOTE]To be pedantic, that most likely would have been crocodile you ate, rather than alligator. Alligators are in the same order as crocodiles, but they're in a seperate family. Alligators are unique to the southeast US and China, and they're endangered in China. I have no idea what the difference in taste might be.

And yes, goat meat is not that unusual. Its weird that people would choose it as the basis of an urban legend. I can't imagine that a restaurant would slaughter them and have carcasses around when they could just buy it. Donkey meat on the other hand, I've never heard of in the US, only in third world countries. Donkeys are a worker animal, which, in Western cultures, generally exempts it from the menu. Still, economically it couldn't possibly be cost effective to butcher it by hand in the US and pass it off as something else. [/QB][/QUOTE]
I supect the inclusion of goat meat in the Senior Frog's UL was that most people in the area regard goat meat as "unacceptible" to eat, and along with the whole donkey inclusion, was meant to enforce the image of the dishonest and dirty Hispanic tricking the upright and stalwart not-Hispanic population into eating livestock ( I mean, other than lamb or beef [Wink] ).
Of course, it's perfectly acceptible to eat jowl bacon, salt pork, pork belly, and piggy feet. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LemonLimeade:
I live in the area and I never heard a thing about that. There was a persistent rumor that White Castle used rat and kangaroo meat in their burgers though.

We eat kangaroo meat in Australia - it's not so unusual. It's certainly not the same thing as eating rat!!

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It isn't possible to take stray anything and make it into "popcorn chicken." Ok, well, possible I'm sure, but I think it would be highly noticeable to anyone who might want to buy (and has seen/had before) popcorn chicken. (Sadly) I work at KFC right now - their chicken comes in in prepackaged bags that just need to be battered and fried. Popcorn chicken comes in plastic bags and is openend and dumped into a frier bucket and cooked for 5 minutes. Wahoo.

So if someone was to catch strays and make "popcorn chicken" out of it, what would they be battering it with? Compare the breading of the popcorn chicken to that of either KFC's crispy or original receipe and you will see it's not like Popcorn Chicken at all, so they couldn't have been using that - unless they were counting on their customers being stupid as hell - and probably not having a good sense of smell, either. I'd imagine that cooking a cat in frier would smell roughly like what it smells like when a human hand gets burned in a frier, which is not pleasant in the slightest.

On top of ALL of that, are there any KFCs that don't have a pretty good view of the back area where the chicken is cooked and prepped? All the KFCs I've ever seen are pretty open (probably to counter rumours like this one)

I think this is a load of malarky.

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
IronChefBenjata
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IronChefBenjata   Author's Homepage   E-mail IronChefBenjata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
These stories never explain a motive. Do you know how much meat is on a rattlesnake? Not very much actually, so it would be pretty inpractical to buy and butcher a rattlesnake when you could just buy actual chicken. Same thing with rat meat or kangaroo meat. Stray cats and dogs maybe. But who wants to deal with butchering a cat when they could just open a package. However, above the fast food tier, I've heard many a grisly tale of unscrupulous urban chefs who have sent a prep cook out to a local park to nab whatever they could when they've run out of squab or duck confit.

--------------------
GLOBO-CHEM, We own everything, so you don't have to...

Posts: 9 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLockeout   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
Well, his wife is expecting. The baby is going to be named either (names redacted).

Does your former teacher know that you are posting this information on an internet message board?
Were you being serious? I mean, aside from his general physical location, how on earth is it personal information by citing possible names of his babies? O_o

--------------------
Katesune: We still can't find the way to albuquerque, and glisp won't stop to ask for directions.
Glisp42: Of course not. I know where I'm going, I just don't know where I am right now

Twisted Links

Posts: 2599 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, duh. I'm no n00b. But anyway, he saw it himself on the news. The local news. And hell if I know what reporter. All I know is, he was in his teens, and a cop walked into a KFC and heard a struggle. He took a look in the back room, and saw that employees were slicin and dicin some stray stuff. They got busted, and a nice little restaurant with great food is on the site of where it was. That's what I know. So stop badgering me.

I'm 34, I grew up in NJ and have therefore always watched local NJ news. I have no memory of ever seeing this story on any news broadcast. We always told each other tales of "ratburgers" at White Castle, too, but I think that is the only thing remotely like this that I've ever heard before.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LadyLockeout:
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:

Were you being serious? I mean, aside from his general physical location, how on earth is it personal information by citing possible names of his babies? O_o
I've never posted my daughter's name on this or any other website, and I wouldn't want anyone else to do so, either, especially without my knowledge. YMMV.

ETA: I'm also very careful, when posting about friends, family or acquaintances, not to post descriptive information.

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLockeout   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Alright, I can see your point, sort of. But keep in mind that birth records are published -everywhere-, including the internet, and contain a lot more information than just a *possible* baby name. I don't see what the big deal is, myself, but as you said, YMMV. [Smile]

--------------------
Katesune: We still can't find the way to albuquerque, and glisp won't stop to ask for directions.
Glisp42: Of course not. I know where I'm going, I just don't know where I am right now

Twisted Links

Posts: 2599 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

quote:
Originally posted by LadyLockeout:
Alright, I can see your point, sort of. But keep in mind that birth records are published -everywhere-, including the internet, and contain a lot more information than just a *possible* baby name.

To me, it's different. To look up a birth record, you'd have to know the person's or parents' name(s) and start from there. A discussion on an internet message board is more easily (or widely?) accessible, IMO.

I just don't feel comfortable sharing that kind of information, especially about someone else's family. I've been aware of situations among my own circle of friends/acquaintances where people stumbled across things in settings like this and it caused issues. But of course, YMMV.

--------------------

Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, to do anything on the internet you would still need more than the potential first name of a baby that isn't born yet. Do we know the parents' names? Do we even know the city in which they currently live?

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LemonLimeade
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LemonLimeade     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zorro:
We always told each other tales of "ratburgers" at White Castle, too, but I think that is the only thing remotely like this that I've ever heard before.

Hehe. You know, when White Castle first came out with the "Sliders" campaign, they said things like "Go ahead, you know you call it that anyway" or something similar. And I looked at my husband (another NJ native) and said "What, are they trying to shed the 'ratburger' thing?" To this day we simply say "Going to get some rats." I guess the rumors didn't hurt WC business much [Big Grin]

Smackmac, I tried frog legs once at a buffet. They squicked me out because it was the whole set of both legs, and they were bowed - looked like the lower half of a frog, intact and breaded - and flippery ends were still on the feet. But it was fried nicely so I figured it would probably taste good. It was, in fact, very similar to chicken, but I honestly didn't like it. It just had a taste that wasn't appealing to me, an unfamiliar taste. Which was fine, because ew, it's a frickin' frog.

Now buffalo on the other hand...mmmmmmmmmm.

--------------------
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

Posts: 285 | From: Woodbridge, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:
Actually, to do anything on the internet you would still need more than the potential first name of a baby that isn't born yet. Do we know the parents' names? Do we even know the city in which they currently live?

To clarify, my concern was never that there was enough information provided to locate or stalk the family, but simply my own personal discomfort for including descriptive information about other people in a message board discussion without their knowledge or permission. Nobody here seems to share that discomfort, so never mind.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages