snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Food » Pink lemonade

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pink lemonade
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 98 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I was recently told by a 7 yr old that "Pink Lemondade was invented when a
red shirt fell into the lemonade at a circus".

According to a source found on Google that is incorrect, and there was a
recipe in the 1800's that mentioned adding juices to the lemonade to
impart a pleasing color.

Thought you might want to add to your food section.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: I was recently told by a 7 yr old that "Pink Lemondade was invented when a

According to a source found on Google that is incorrect,[snip]

Really?! You've got to be kidding! Gee, if you can't trust a 7 year old for important information like this who can you trust? [fish]

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That one is actually recounted, in quite a bit of detail, in "Tricks with your head" by Mac King. It's not just seven year olds. [Big Grin]
Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought pink lemonade was like pink grapefruit juice, from a different fruit, otherwise what's the point? - no idea where I got this concept from because lemonade is clear in the UK and i've not had it overseas...

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a child we had lemonade made with fresh lemons and sugar laced with a dash of angostura bitters which made it pink. Delicious and refreshing but not fizzy which was always a bit of a disappointment to me. Back then I craved the clear sickly sweet stuff we got in the UK which I can't stand now.

I don't know if the angostura bitters was added primarily for colour or flavour but I do know it is a very old recipe.

Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jay Tea, what you've got is a language difference. UK lemonade is a fizzy lemon-flavored drink. The closest US equivalent is probably 7 UP or Sprite.

US lemonade is lemon juice, diluted a bit with water and sweetened with sugar or nowadays, with some artificial sweetener. You might know it as "traditional lemonade" or "still lemonade." From the basic recipe, it can be gussied up with other things--mint sprigs, lemon slices, other juices. Pink lemonade might be colored with maraschino cherry juice or another fruit juice.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ron Miel
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Miel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QB] Comment: I was recently told by a 7 yr old that "Pink Lemondade was invented when a

Boy, Kirk sure had some inventive ways to kill his crew.
Posts: 39 | From: London, England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Penny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Miel:
quote:

YOMANK, Ron!
Posts: 340 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
YOMANK as well, Ron [lol]

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember that episode!

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GreenJeanz
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 607 posted      Profile for GreenJeanz   E-mail GreenJeanz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
[QB] Comment: I was recently told by a 7 yr old that "Pink Lemondade was invented when a

You ALMOST owned me a new keyboard, I held in the coffee and laughed with my mouth shut! [lol]
Posts: 35 | From: GA, USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a recipe for pink lemonade from my mom's old 50's Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. Basically, you make simple syrup of water and sugar in a saucepan. Wash a few lemons and juice them. Add the juice and a couple of the lemon rinds to the syrup. Bring to a boil. Remove peels, chill, drink. For pink lemonade, add a few drops of grenadine. Limeade is made the same way except that you don't want to boil lime peels. Use lemons. Almost any fruit would go well in here: blueberries, raspberries, kiwi. I like mine pretty tart. With vodka. Ah, summer.
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

YOMANK!!

Angel "Is it Trekky or Trekker?" With Wax Wings

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
I always thought pink lemonade was like pink grapefruit juice, from a different fruit, otherwise what's the point? - no idea where I got this concept from because lemonade is clear in the UK and i've not had it overseas...

Y'know, when I was a kid I thought the same thing. I blame the "Country Time" pink lemonade mix canisters, which showed a graphic of a lemon cut in half to reveal a bright pink interior. (I see that the whole lemon is pink in the current incarnation. Did it used to be pink inside, yellow outside, or am I imagining that?) Anyway, I didn't realize the truth until last year (!) when I saw a cooking show that featured homemade lemonade. The hostess said "you can add a little splash of Grenadine or cranberry juice for pink lemonade" -- I put two and two together and reflected on the fact that I've never in my life seen a pink lemon.

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kendor
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kendor   E-mail kendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I'm an avid Star Trek fan, (TOS), and I have no idea what this is a reference to. Care to enlighten me?

--------------------
May The Corrs be with you.

Posts: 170 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kendor:
quote:
quote:

I'm an avid Star Trek fan, (TOS), and I have no idea what this is a reference to. Care to enlighten me?
The guys who appeared in a single episode, and promptly got killed (often after beaming down to a planet) are often referred to as "red shirts".
Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kendor
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kendor   E-mail kendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Got it!

--------------------
May The Corrs be with you.

Posts: 170 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by musicgeek:
Y'know, when I was a kid I thought the same thing. I blame the "Country Time" pink lemonade mix canisters, which showed a graphic of a lemon cut in half to reveal a bright pink interior. (I see that the whole lemon is pink in the current incarnation. Did it used to be pink inside, yellow outside, or am I imagining that?) Anyway, I didn't realize the truth until last year (!) when I saw a cooking show that featured homemade lemonade. The hostess said "you can add a little splash of Grenadine or cranberry juice for pink lemonade" -- I put two and two together and reflected on the fact that I've never in my life seen a pink lemon.

Actually, there ARE pink lemons.Eureka variegated pink lemon trees produce fruit with a pink interior and a dull yellow exterior.

For yummy pink lemonade, I'd try adding raspberry juice or some pureed frozen strawberries.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DAnnino
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DAnnino     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angel With Wax Wings:
quote:
quote:

YOMANK!!

Angel "Is it Trekky or Trekker?" With Wax Wings

[lol] Add me.

And the terms are "Trekkie" (for fans of The Original Series (TOS)) or "Trekker" (for fans of the newer series). And "rabid fanboy" for people like me. [Big Grin]

--------------------
NO BETTER FRIEND, NO WORSE ENEMY
--
"I grok when apes learn to laugh, they'll be people."

Posts: 727 | From: Southeastern Arizona | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*sigh* the day that people think that lemons are pink is the day we really need to bring home economics back into schools. [Big Grin]

I found that using real maple syrup to sweeten lemonade is very tasty. I like it pink too, but never have any grenadine around...I never thought of cranberry juice, that's a good idea and I generally do have it.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 1 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
An interesting history of the Minnesota State Fair I am aware of notes where "pink lemonade" stands there more than a century ago were often fronts for illicit sale of liquor; you had to know the right password to get acquainted with Al Cohol when you really wanted "pink lemonade."

But then again, wouldn't just plain old red food colouring work to produce a pink colour, as opposed to grenadine or Angostura (or, for that matter, Peychaud's bitters)?

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chalky Studebaker:
[
But then again, wouldn't just plain old red food colouring work to produce a pink colour, as opposed to grenadine or Angostura (or, for that matter, Peychaud's bitters)? [/QB]

But...that would be too easy.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The best pink lemonade in the world is sold at a little dive of a drive-in in my Missouri hometown. I am pretty sure the pink comes from maraschino cherry juice. Your serving of pink lemonade always includes maraschino cherries and a big lemon wedge. Mmmmm. They may add some food coloring, but it sure seems like there's a special something extra to the flavor...that it's not just colored lemonade. I'll have to stop in and ask them the next time I go to visit my dad.
Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
going way way off topic here but everytime I go to the US I buy a giant tub of minute maid lemonade powder. Creates a really nice "old fashioned lemonade" (what we call lemonade that isn't fizzy and actually contains lemons...). Don't suppose anyone knows a cheap online store in the UK that does these tubs? Can never see them at supermarkets...

My guess with pink lemonade is that it's due to artificial flavours which would make the lemonade look a nasty unapetising colour which they compensate with the colouring.

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xia:
Actually, there ARE pink lemons.Eureka variegated pink lemon trees produce fruit with a pink interior and a dull yellow exterior.

Cool -- thanks for the link! I wonder which came first, artificially colored pink lemonade or these lemons? (Off to poke around and do some research, incorrigible foodie that I am...)

...and back with the info!

Apparently, artificially (meaning here non-lemon-based) colored pink lemonade has been around at least since the 1890s. The variegated pink lemon, however, arrived on the scene as a natural mutant circa 1930.

The first link makes mention of the circus origin legend, but this is by far the most ridiculous origin theory I found!

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
caligulathegod
Miso Horny

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caligulathegod     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to say whether it's true or not, but just finding old recipes doesn't disprove it. The story goes that it was only the first appearance of Pink Lemonade that was caused by the red tights at the circus. Subsequent batches would have used colorings as per recipes.
Posts: 12 | From: Grove City, OH | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 220 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Huh, I'm a little surprised that this anecdote is as old as it is. I also hadn't realized that generations ago pink lemonade was indelibly linked to the circus.

I have to note, though, that the earliest mention that I can find of pink lemonade in a variety of news sources dates to 1869; it doesn’t mention the circus at all. Pink lemonade gets coupled to the circus at least by 1877. Interestingly, "red lemonade" was sold on the streets of New York by 1870; it was sold at circuses at least by 1876.

In any event, here's a survey of representative "circus origin" pieces that have appeared in American newspapers over the last century. (Cerf's entry isn't that old, but, hey, he's Bennett Cerf.).

Bonnie "Minutiae Maid" Taylor

quote:
From Bennett Cerf"s "Try and Stop Me" column, reprinted in The Daily Review [Hayward, California], 01 October 1961, Pg. 49.

FOR GENERATIONS, one of the standard products offered for sale by circus hawkers has been "pink lemonade." The origin of this peculiar potation, according to John Ringling North, goes back to the day when one Peter Conklin was handling the refreshment concession for Mabie's Mighty Circus in the South.

One afternoon was such a scorcher that lemonade sales reached unprecedented heights, and Pete Conklin ran out of his principal ingredient: water. He rushed into the dressing room of Fannie Jamieson, the Fat Lady, and heedless of her protests, seized a tube of water in which she had been soaking her bespangled red dress. "A little dye never hurt nobody," pronounced Pete.

To the reddened water he added a spot of tartaric acid and sugar, and promptly began shouting. "This way for the only lemonade in the world guaranteed PINK." The customers were enchanted, and when nobody came down with even a mild convulsion, pink lemonade became standard equipment in the refreshment tent.

quote:
An Associated Press story that appeared in The Reno Evening Gazette, 12 November 1937, Pg. 13.

Pink Lemonade Started by Circus Tights

FLEMINGTON, N.J., Nov. 12 (AP) -- A circus lady's pink tights so the story goes, accidentally made William Henry Griffith famous sixty-four years ago.

Griffith is eighty today. When he was in his 'teens, he joined a circus as a refreshment dispenser.

On a gusty May day in 1873 -- Griffith tells the tale -- his lemonade was all ready for customers. The bareback rider's tights were drying on a nearby line and the win blew them down -- plump into Griffith's lemonade. A surprised young man was he when he found his concoction was pink, not pale yellow.

It was too late to make up more, Griffith says, so he barked his new product:

"Step right up and get your pink lemonade. It's absolutely new."

And thus, so the story goes, was discovered pink lemonade.

quote:
From "Eat and Be Healthy: Dinah Day's Daily Talks on Diet," Iowa City Press-Citizen, 23 October 1926, Pg. 6.

WHY WAS CIRCUS LEMONADE PINK?

Some one in talking about old circus days jokingly remarked that the tub of pink lemonade was one of the allurements of the circus.

Why is circus lemonade pink? Here is a delicious bit of circus history. Many years ago the trapeze artist was talking to the man who concocted the tub of lemonade. The trapeze artist was on his way to his dressing tent with his pink tights over his arm. He made a sweeping gesture and the tights fell into the tube of lemonade. Before they could be fished out the lemonade was a lovely pink. Very attractive. It would be wasteful to throw all that lemonade away. So in the afternoon when the crowd came to the circus they were served pink lemonade at no advance in price. The crowd liked the pink lemonade. Every day thereafter the lemonade maker had to dip a pair of pink tights in his tub of lemonade because his customers wanted their lemonade pink.

This story is related as authentic history and seems ridiculous to us sophisticates.

quote:
From the New York Times, 18 September 1912, Pg. 11.

INVENTOR OF PINK LEMONADE DEAD.

CHICAGO, Sept. 17. -- Henry E. Allott, known all through the Middle West as 'Bunk' Allen, member of the old Chicago gambling syndicate, saloonkeeper, theatrical promoter, circus man, and inventor of pink lemonade, died here today. At 15 he ran away with a circus and obtained the lemonade concession. One day while mixing a tub full of the orthodox yellow kind he dropped some red cinnamon candies in by mistake. The resulting rose-tinted mixture sold so surprisingly well that he continued to dispense his chance discovery.

quote:
From the Trenton Times [New Jersey], 17 November 1908, Pg. 11.

PINK LEMONADE MAN FOUND
New Bedford (Mass.) Citizen Admits Introducing Colored Beverage to Circus Loving Public.

BOSTON, MASS., Nov. 17. -- The name of the man who first introduced pink lemonade to enrapture circus audiences has become known at last.

For years and years that delectable concoction has been synonymous with trapeze performances, horseback riding, wild animal shows and the allurements of a three ring performance, and still fame has not been sought the one who is responsible for its birth.

But now he stands revealed in the spot-light of glory, and his name is certain to be inscribed on the pages of circus history together with those of Barnum, Forepaugh and other celebrities.

W.H.A. Tobey is the original "pink lemonade man," and today, at seventy-three, he at last admits this fact, although he is eager to have it understood that it was all due to chance and "just luck."

Tobey is an old-time showman. After having spent nearly all his life in providing amusement for young and old America he spent his declining years in New Bedford, his native city, and it was there, on the occasion of his birthday, that he told an admiring audience the story of the birth of pink lemonade.

"I was with Forepaugh's circus in the [1860s]," he said, "when the show struck the Great American Desert. Water was very scarce, and the lemonade man, who occupied a space in the animal tent, could not produce any for love or money.

"He was in despair. Just then it was after the afternoon performance. In going to the horse tent I noticed that a red blanket had fallen into a barrel of drinking water kept for the horses. The water was of a strong pink color and the horses wouldn’t drink it.

"More in fun than anything else, I called over the lemonade man and told him that he could have a barrel of pink water. Neither of us suspected what a hit it would make. That night pink lemonade made its first appearance and has been an indispensable adjunct of a circus ever since."

Tobey took his first step as a showman in 1857, when the Scars & Garrett Museum and Menagerie was exhibited in New Bedford.

And the earliest telling I've been able to find . . .

quote:
From The Van Wert [Ohio] Daily Bulletin, 25 June 1906, Pg. 4.

PINK LEMONADE.
The Story of Its Introduction to the Circus Public.

"Old Peter Conklin, the clown," said a circus official, "was the first to give pink lemonade to the world."

"It dates back to 1857, when Conklin was traveling in the south with Jere Mabie's big show. Conklin had a dispute with Mabie and jumped the show down in Texas. I've had the story straight from his own lips. He bought a couple of mules and an old covered wagon, some tubs, tartaric acid, a lemon, a bushel or two of peanuts and started in the refreshment business.

[...]

"The lemonade sold splendidly, and he couldn't wait on the people fast enough. One day he was surrounded by a mob scrambling for "the juice," when his water supply ran out. There were no wells or springs at hand. He rushed into the big tent, but there was ne'er a drop of water to be had. In his excitement he invaded the dressing tent. Fannie Jamieson, the bareback rider, was wringing out a pair of pink tights, the aniline dye coloring the water was a very pretty shade. Conklin didn't stop to ask any questions. He grabbed up the tub and ran. Into the tub he through some acid and the property lemon and called out:

"'Come quickly. Buy some fine strawberry lemonade.'

"His sales were doubled that day and since then no well regulated circus is without pink lemonade. However, we do not make it the same way now, and sometimes strawberries are used as well as lemons." -- Exchange.

--------------------
Se non č vero, č ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages