snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Food » Ketchup sold as Medicine?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ketchup sold as Medicine?
squeakybiscuit
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for squeakybiscuit     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This months National Geographics Kids magazine says that ketchup was originally sold as medicine. It doesn't say anything more than that about it though. I searched the web, and can't find very much on it.

Does anyone know what problem it was sold to treat? Did it work?

Posts: 2 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Porky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Porky   E-mail Porky   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I found 2 references as ketchup once being sold as medicine in this country
Ketchup was once used as a medicine in the United States. In the 1830's it was sold as Dr. Miles Compound Extract of Tomato.
http://fusionanomaly.net/ketchup.html
http://www.amusingfacts.com/facts/Detail/ketchup-medicine.html
But no reference of what it was actually supposed to treat...

--------------------
A peasant becomes fond of his pig and is glad to salt away its pork. What is significant, and is so difficult for the urban stranger to understand, is that the two statements are connected by an and not by a but.

Posts: 7 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
squeakybiscuit

Icon 1 posted      Profile for squeakybiscuit     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My library has “Pure Ketchup A History of America’s National Condiment with Recipes” by Andrew Smith available for download as an e-book, but I searched it and can find no mention of it. I searched “medicine” “treatment” and “Dr Miles Compound extract of tomato” and nothing.

The site you give says it was used to treat lots of stuff including baldness and athlete’s foot and preventing cancer.

Thanks.

Posts: 2 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ketchup has natural mellowing agents, at least according to the Ketchup Advisory Board.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oceanic Aura
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oceanic Aura   Author's Homepage   E-mail Oceanic Aura   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Amusingly enough, Heinz has taken to putting up blurbs on their ketchup bottles about the benefits of lycopene. I can honestly say that I have never decided to put more ketchup on my fries because I thought I could use a little more AOX. It's a condiment for Zeus' sake! Do they think people who never used it before are going to start now, for that?

But back to the point - I haven't found anything other than numerous websites stating basically verbatim the same factoid about old Dr. Miles, so I'm thinking the magazine must have been referring to that.

Aura

--------------------
"Are we talking misdemeanor trouble or squeal like a pig trouble?"

Posts: 618 | From: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mommyrex
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mommyrex     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Theodorakis:
Ketchup has natural mellowing agents, at least according to the Ketchup Advisory Board.

Nick

So I'm not the only one who started humming the Ketchup theme song when I read this?

--------------------
We also ask that you follow the guidelines above and try not to over-think these guidelines.
- the transportation safety administration's permitted and prohibited items air travel list

Posts: 240 | From: Kansas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluesScale   E-mail BluesScale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It has considerable levels of Beta-Carotene with is a really good antioxidant.

Is is just a shame that it has even higher levels of sugar.

Blues

Posts: 207 | From: Woolhampton, Berks, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages