snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Food » Leaving Spoon in the Fridge is Bad?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Leaving Spoon in the Fridge is Bad?
callee
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 05 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So this afternoon mrs. callee made some dessert salad and, nicely, brought me a bowl with a spoon already stuck jauntily in the side. I thanked her, but since I wasn't hungry I just put saranwrap over it - spoon and all - and deposited it in the fridge for later. Some time after mrs. callee informed me that, according to her mother, this was a terrible thing to do because the chemicals in the food - the acids in the sour cream or citrus fruits or something - will react with the stainless steel of the spoon and cause chemical contamination. I checked the mainsite and found nothing, and before I started googling I thought I'd let you all join in.

So?

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've only heard this with regard to cutlery in the freezer. Too many bent spoons as a result of not being patient enough to let the ice cream thaw a bit.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think stainless steel is non-reactive. But if your spoon is aluminum it will make your food taste funny if it hangs out in there. I don't think you will die or get sick, even if you did it every day, but your food would have a wierd metallic taste.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ILS
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILS   E-mail ILS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To expand on Rhiandmoi. It would depend on the material of the spoon/cultery. But if the material was something that could react with acid, long exposure to the acid would cause a reaction. Good logic huh!

Anyway. The most common modern material of stainless steel is not one of the reactive materials one may worry about.

Posts: 287 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you don't know what your spoon is made of (except plastic ones)wouldn't it be safer to say don't do it? My hubby does it sometimes and I take the spoon out. Kind of like the "don't leave food in a can" theory...

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
csel's in 2nd Grade
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for csel's in 2nd Grade     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know that some recipes specify using anything EXCEPT a metal bowl, and those that I have seen are acidic, in some way, because it can affect the taste of the recipe. I don't think it is dangerous, though. I've seen spoons of all sorts left in things at buffets, picnics, whatnot, and never heard of any problem.

Squishy, I came home late one night, DH had fed himself dinner. The next day, I found a can of kidney beans, half empty, in the fridge, uncovered. He didn't understand why that was not ok. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"What is sin? I think sin is failure to grow."
-Lauren Slater, "Prozac Diary"

Posts: 172 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only reaction I know of that might possibly be dangerous is with aluminum. If you have an aluminum utensil or container and acidic food, like tomatoes, aluminum can leach into your food and high amounts of dietary aluminum are toxic.

The same reaction can happen with an iron skillet but of course iron is an essential mineral, not a toxic one.

Copper is also reactive.

Stainless steel is not.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only reaction I have ever had is "Who left the spoon in the bowl in the fridge again?!?! I just knocked it all over the NHBSKing floor again!" from Hubby. But since the kids are now older, it doesn't happen quite so often.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
erwins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erwins   E-mail erwins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It doesn't sound like a stainless spoon in the fridge would be a hazzard at all, but according to this journal article, stainless cookware is reactive to acidic foods at cooking temperatures.

From the article:
quote:
Stainless steel, which is widely used in cooking utensils, is readily attacked by organic acids at cooking temperatures. When this occurs, iron, chromium, and nickel may be released from the steel utensil into the food. In the cases of iron and chromium, this is desirable; both of these elements are essential nutrients, and both are likely to be in short supply in the diet. In contrast, the addition of nickel to food is undesirable. Nickel is suspected of causing many types of toxicity, and allergic reactions to this metal are widespread.

To determine whether these metals are actually released from stainless steel cookware during food preparation, researchers from the Pennsylvania State University at Erie exposed seven stainless steel utensils to mildly acidic conditions at boiling temperature. The liquids in the utensils were then assayed for iron, chromium, and nickel by atomic absorption spectroscopy.

Nickel was found to be a major corrosion product from the stainless steel utensils; iron and chromium were also detected. The amount of nickel added to food in this way could be significant; a person consuming 1 kg of acidic food cooked in stainless steel pots would receive as much as 0.1 mg of nickel from this source. This is between one-third and two-thirds of the average daily intake of nickel from food.

erwins
Posts: 238 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csel's cshells:

Squishy, I came home late one night, DH had fed himself dinner. The next day, I found a can of kidney beans, half empty, in the fridge, uncovered. He didn't understand why that was not ok. [Roll Eyes]

Er...why is it not ok? There's almost always a half used tin of something in our fridge.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lonely Mountain
Jingle All the Layaway

Icon 304 posted      Profile for Lonely Mountain   E-mail Lonely Mountain   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jessboo:
quote:

Er...why is it not ok? There's almost always a half used tin of something in our fridge.
Because it makes your whole fridge smell like the left-open food and other food in the fridge will also pick up the smell and taste, and there are some things that just don't taste well together. Someone did this to my freezer once and my ice cubes tasted like fish.

--------------------
"Tis too much proved that with devotion's visage and pious action we do sugar o'er the devil himself." - Hamlet

Posts: 344 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whatever else is true about various metals, the first thing that came to my mind is that someone might have been told this at one time so that they wouldn't leave a dirty utensil in there. ("Why clean it? I'll just use it again when I eat the leftovers.")

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lonely Mountain
Jingle All the Layaway

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Lonely Mountain   E-mail Lonely Mountain   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by erwins:
... a person consuming 1 kg of acidic food cooked in stainless steel pots would receive as much as 0.1 mg of nickel from this source. This is between one-third and two-thirds of the average daily intake of nickel from food.

Who in the world eats 1 kg of food? That's 2.2 pounds! And what in the world is the average daily intake of nickel? I checked and the RDA for nickel is 0.5 mg - 1 mg. This means that, assuming this report is true and you had no other sources of nickel, you would have to eat 11 pounds of acidic food just to meet the minimum RDA. I think you would die of heartburn first.

I hate when reports make things sound like a major health issue. The only people I see affeted by this would be people allergic to nickel and I'm assuming that they already take measures to limit their exposure.

--------------------
"Tis too much proved that with devotion's visage and pious action we do sugar o'er the devil himself." - Hamlet

Posts: 344 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jessboo:
quote:

I think it was the uncovered part that was the problem -- stinks up the whole fridge. Plus, certain foods can take on odors from other things.

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a roomie who would eat the whole of something (i.e. a thing of icecream or a box of cereal) and REPLACE the empty container. Grrrr.... Sorry. Had to rant.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dfresh
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfresh   E-mail dfresh   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ryda, my brother would leave ONE spoonful in the container, so therefore he couldn't get grief for eating the WHOLE container of ice cream. He only ate 96% of it.
Posts: 420 | From: Oxford, PA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DaGuyWitBluGlasses
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaGuyWitBluGlasses     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do we use Silverware at important meals?

Because silverware doesn't taste, Stainless Steel on the other hand does have a taste.

The taste is from molecules coming apart from the spoon.

Just because something doesn't chemically react, doesn't mean the object is completely stable, some things just slowly fall apart. (Chemically stable does not mean physically stable)

How long before there's enough steel molecules in the stuff before it's something to worry about, i don't know, but eventually it might be something to worry about…

Posts: 201 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LemonLimeade
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LemonLimeade     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't say about the spoon (and others have answered that anyway) but I can say this for sure. If you've already taken a bite with the spoon and put it back in for a second bite, especially with something like pudding or yogurt - anything thickened with flour or cornstarch - and then try to store it, even that tiny bit of saliva will break down the viscous substance and turn it to a thin liquid. I found that out when feeding my first baby something out of a baby food jar and going back to it later, and it's happened throughout the years when someone would take a couple quick bites of something from the fridge then put it back. It's really disgusting.

--------------------
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

Posts: 285 | From: Woodbridge, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages