snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Food » Alton Brown's Good Eats: Myth Smashers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alton Brown's Good Eats: Myth Smashers
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Myth Smashers
Sure, cooking is full of rules, sayings, and axioms but do they all hold water? Join host Alton Brown as he sears meat, washes mushrooms, oils the pasta water and tries to blow-up water."

This was on last night, and I just happened to catch it by accident. It's on again next Tuesday at 7pm. I got to watch all of the test about adding oil to pasta water. It made sense to me.

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this the nerdy guy who is always trotting out the science behind the food? I watched an episode of his where he was (IIRC) having a biscuit bake-off with his grandmother. Here's this dork getting out the food scales to measure shortening, meanwhile his GM is (cooking-wise) whipping his a** using his own slide rule with one hand while making perfect "guesstimate" biscuits with the other. [lol]

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
eif
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eif     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't you dis AB!

Actually her biscuits came out better because of one thing. She has severe arthritis which prevents her from mixing the dough as much as a healthy person would. Turns out that most people overmix the dough.

AB was in the TV production field when he said to his wife that he could make a better cooking show than one that they were watching. She said, "why don't you." After attending the New England Culinary Institute, he did.

--------------------
Where I come from we believe all sorts of things that aren't true. We call it History.

Posts: 506 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ILS
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILS   E-mail ILS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bettie Page Turner:
Is this the nerdy guy who is always trotting out the science behind the food? I watched an episode of his where he was (IIRC) having a biscuit bake-off with his grandmother. Here's this dork getting out the food scales to measure shortening, meanwhile his GM is (cooking-wise) whipping his a** using his own slide rule with one hand while making perfect "guesstimate" biscuits with the other. [lol]

That's that show/host, but I do not remember him using food scales in the bisuits episode you describe.

This is a favorite show of mine, I try and catch as many as possible, including the "Myth Smashers" episode refered to in the original post.

Posts: 287 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eif:
Don't you dis AB!

word!

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Big fan -- not so much because of the theater geek vibe of his show, but because he teaches cooking the way I cook -- as concepts and processes that can be tweaked and experimented with, rather than as specific recipes to be followed to the letter. His cookbooks (the "I'm Just Here for the Food") series are organized by technique rather than by category. His point is that if you can make biscuits, you can also make piecrusts and crackers with a few simple modifications.

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot of the things I know how to cook came from Good Eats. He's one of the few "real" people that Food Network has.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband has, I believe, a crush on Alton Brown. To wit: For a long time, I tried to convince my husband that it was worth the extra 10-spot to shell out for the fancy-schmancy electronic probe thermometer, but to no avail.

So, the Thanksgiving show comes on last year, and not only do we get one of those there fancy-schmancy electronic probe thermometers, but also a new pickle bucket in which to brine the turkey.

I cannot compete with Alton Brown. I just can't.

*sob*

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grumpy
Deck the Malls

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Grumpy         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eif:
Don't you dis AB!

I wouldn't dream of it. He even wears some of the same shirts I do.

But I must point out that, if there is a real-life Anal Retentive Chef, he would resemble Alton Brown.

The spiritual forebear of the "Myth-Smashers" pastiche was "Scrap-Iron Chef," in which Alton builds a bacon smoker in a junkyard. I was a combination of my three favorite shows at the time: Iron Chef and Junkyard Wars (aka Scrapheap Challenge). And, of course, Good Eats.

Posts: 389 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What's up with the oil in pasta water? My mom told me to add a bit of olive oil when to the pot when I make spaghetti to keep it from sticking together - is that it?

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry guys...AB is a weenie. [Razz] Don't bother, I'll self-sushi... [fish]

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, Astra, that's exactly what he tested. The conclusion was that the pasta didn't absorb nearly enough of the oil to make that an issue. His suggestion is to use more water in a bigger pot.

ETA: Oh, and you're right about him being one of the only "real" people on the food network. Rachael Ray is a well-known asshole. She showed up at the 4-star restaurant where my friend is the chef. Tipped about a dollar. Really. She's a loud little troll.

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On one of Alton's earlier shows he said not to put olive oil in water for pasta. In one of his later shows he admitted that he was wrong.
I have always put olive oil in pasta water.

guru "I love Alton" wan2b

ETA: I think he said the reason for not putting the oil in the water was because it would cause the sauce to slide off the pasta.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astra:
What's up with the oil in pasta water? My mom told me to add a bit of olive oil when to the pot when I make spaghetti to keep it from sticking together - is that it?

My mom taught me to add oil to the pasta water as well, but not to keep it from sticking together. She told me it was to prevent the water from foaming up when you add the pasta.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 05 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Casey, spraying whipped cream:
A lot of the things I know how to cook came from Good Eats. He's one of the few "real" people that Food Network has.

Do you ever even watch that channel? Most of those people are the most down to earth television personalities I've ever seen. Very real on camera and off.

Not sure what Food Network you seem to be watching.

Thanks for the post, Gayle, I definitely want to watch this! [Smile]

--------------------
28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posts: 7158 | From: D.C. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard Emeril say NOT to add oil to water for pasta b/c it cooks the startch away or something like that...Good Eats can be funny at times but then it drags out sometimes as well...

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I prefer The Food Network over, say, PBS for cooking shows largely because the Food Network chefs are all down to earth and accessible to me, the untrained chef. I *like* that Rachael Ray is a little on the hyper side. I *like* that Alton Brown is a bit of a geek. And I simply adore Paula Deen. I can watch that woman all day long. Giada DeLarentiis, Emril, Bobby Flay...they've all helped me to become more comfortable with my skills as a cook.

And you should always put the olive oil into the boiling water right before you put the pasta in. It should only be about a tablespoon, and it does help to keep the noodles from sticking together. But, if you don't use oil, it isn't a big deal, either. The water will only foam if you have added some sort of effervescent something or other to the noodles.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gayle:
Rachael Ray is a well-known asshole. She showed up at the 4-star restaurant where my friend is the chef. Tipped about a dollar.

Really?
quote:
Really.

I was wondering about that. I thought there were a few times on "$40 a Day" that the tip seemed to be a bit....um....skimpy, shall we say....

I thought her whole wedding thing was a bit too much. But Paula Dean's charmed me. ::shrug::

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hubby & I noticed too that her tips are low
I still like 30min meals even though I never make them [lol]
I wonder how good the new "food network star" guy's show will be. I've seen a few shows late @ night where the guys seemed unprofessional/new

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All I can say is...

Alton rocks. 'nuff said. I like his geekiness, its a nice contrast to the overstuffed chefs common on say PBS, etc. Then again, I am hooked on several shows on Food Network now... Unwrapped, both of the Iron Chefs, any of the competition shows. They're just fun even if there is nothing I take away that I will ever use.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 505 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
quote:
Originally posted by Gayle:
Rachael Ray is a well-known asshole. She showed up at the 4-star restaurant where my friend is the chef. Tipped about a dollar.

Really?
quote:
Really.

I was wondering about that. I thought there were a few times on "$40 a Day" that the tip seemed to be a bit....um....skimpy, shall we say....

I thought her whole wedding thing was a bit too much. But Paula Dean's charmed me. ::shrug::

The hubster and i watched $40 a day twice, and noticed that her numbers don't always add up. She skims off the sales tax in some places, or tips really really low. So her final numbers are just wrong. Meh.

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ILS
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILS   E-mail ILS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
The water will only foam if you have added some sort of effervescent something or other to the noodles.

Or if you cook the pasta in insufficent water to disperse the starch the leaches out. If the starch reaches a sufficient level it can cause boil over.
Posts: 287 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like Alton, Emeril, Robert Rainford, Cookin' in Brooklin, Food 911, Rachael. I guess most of the Food Network. Rachel has nothing on me as far as 30 minute meals though. She doesn't have her family gnawing on her ankles as she prepares supper!

I like the BBC show The Best, but it doesn't come on here anymore.

For the pure hotitude factor Semi-Homemade Cooking's Sandra Lee wins hands down. Especially when se puts on the cheerleader outfit....... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KaiTheInvader
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KaiTheInvader   Author's Homepage   E-mail KaiTheInvader   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
My husband has, I believe, a crush on Alton Brown. To wit: For a long time, I tried to convince my husband that it was worth the extra 10-spot to shell out for the fancy-schmancy electronic probe thermometer, but to no avail.

So, the Thanksgiving show comes on last year, and not only do we get one of those there fancy-schmancy electronic probe thermometers, but also a new pickle bucket in which to brine the turkey.

I cannot compete with Alton Brown. I just can't.

*sob*

don't worry, it's the same way with my boyfriend and my father. I can't go near the television remote when it's 7:00 p.m. or 11:00 p.m. (when it comes on here), and any mention of one of alton's many gadgets or wanting to cook something on that show, and those 2 go crazy, almost talking their own little language when it comes to good eats.

wanna know what I'm having for dinner? just look at what was on good eats the night before, any day. [Smile]

--------------------
Resurrection of mankind to careen in silent pace. Feeling lonely. I am the dream that nobody dreams of, but will you dream of me, and dream of eternal desire? If you dream of me, will you live for me? Will you? Will you?

Posts: 344 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love watching No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain. You want to talk about a down to earth personality. He doesn't cook on the show -- he eats; whatever is served to him. I have to admit he's a bigger man than I when accepting and eating the raw eyeball of a freshly killed seal given to him by an indigenous family. But unlike most cooking show hosts, Bourdain makes you want to visit the places where the cuisine comes from and explore all things associated with a given cuisine and its culture.

It also doesn't hurt that he gets in a weekly insult aimed at Rachel Ray. I find her food souless, her tips pathetic, and her commentary on $40/day inane. I watched her in this diner for about 30 seconds saying, "Um, OK, Alrighty, OK then, I need some hot sauce"

What the NFBSK was that!?!?!?

As for Alton, I enjoy watching the scientific aspect of the show, but I don't like that he wrenches the "feel" of cooking out of the experience.

ETA -- No reservations is on the Travel Channel, not Food Network.

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I finally got to see all of this episode last night. What fun. Don't you think Adam and Jamie would have a great time guesting on Good Eats and vice versa. They could do some serious damage.
Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Watch Your Kidneys
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Watch Your Kidneys   E-mail Watch Your Kidneys   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Alton Brown is adorable. I recommend his recipe for pot stickers. They are awesome!
Posts: 163 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, if you only have $40 a day for food, maybe you should be visiting Wisconsin Dells instead of Hawaii and Italy, anyway...but I digress.

I, too, use some olive oil in the water to keep the foam factor down. I'm rather proud of my cooking skills, but I can't afford all them fancy-type pots that are big enough to hold enough water to dilute the starches enough to keep down the foam.

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My cooking show blasphemy: I don't salt the pasta water.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Me, neither, Rhi. I never used to salt anything, in fact, but I have learned it does make a huge difference in sweet dishes.

--------------------

24K_ Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 24K_ Kate   Author's Homepage   E-mail 24K_ Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:
My cooking show blasphemy: I don't salt the pasta water.

I do. With Kosher salt. That I keep in this:
 -

--------------------
<---Callisto

I have a 60 second snack idea for Rachel (Ray): Xanax, vodka, fall asleep.--Adrianne Frost, Best Week Ever.

Posts: 2374 | From: Naw-fik, VA y'all | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Nice saltbox. Mine is rosewood, with a swivel top.

So there! [Wink]

--------------------

Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Angl, is that the one from Crate and Barrel? I have my eye on that one.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

It's this one.

--------------------

Missy_pooh1997
Cauliflower Ears

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Missy_pooh1997   E-mail Missy_pooh1997   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I admit I'm a "foodie". My dh says I watch cooking shows like men watch porn!!! I admit I enjoy AB b/c he does give good tips. I've been washing mushrooms for years and I know that when I deep fry my food is g,b, and d, b/c I use fresh oil and always keep it at the sweet spot by using a themometer. I also really like Kylie Kwong and I'm campaining to be paula Dean's next daughter in law lol.

Am I the only one who wants to shove a thumb tack in Robert Rainford's head? I hate that guy.

--------------------
"People do it everyday, they talk to themselves...they see themselves as they'd like to be,they dont have the courage you have, to just run with it".

Posts: 150 | From: St. Louis area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages