snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Food » Fig Newtons

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fig Newtons
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 23 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: There is a rumor going around that Fig Newton cookies (cakes)
contain the highest amount of bug parts per cookie than any other food
item sold. It is rumored that this because the Fig Wasp's life cycle
centers around the fig plant and is thus harvested with the fig. Is this
true? Are the crunchy bits in a Fig Newton actual Fig Wasp parts?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone misunderstood something here, I think. If the crunch was down to wasp parts, I'm pretty sure people would catch on... [Big Grin]
However, wasps apparently do pollinate fig trees:
Linky linky!

EDIT: I've decided to add that page's crunchy bits in form of a quote:

quote:
(...)Only in small receptive syconia can the female wasp enter the ostiole and push through the inner layer of closely overlapping scales. After this stage the ostiole is virtually impervious to insect entry. Inside she attempts to lay an egg inside the ovary of each female flower by inserting her ovipositor (egg-laying device) down the slender style. In Calimyrna figs this turns out to be a lesson in futility because the styles are all too long (much longer than her ovipositor). She withdraws her ovipositor and moves from one flower to another. In her desperate attempt to lay eggs she inadvertently pollinates the flowers. Eventually she dies from shear exhaustion, or old age, and is broken down by a protein-digesting enzyme (ficin) inside the fig. (...) Female wasps lucky enough to live in a grove of wild caprifigs will be able to carry out their instinctive tasks. She can easily lay eggs inside the short-style flowers of caprifigs and perpetuate her offspring. Some of these may end up in Calimyrna groves the following summer. Lucky for us she can't lay eggs in Calimyrna figs--otherwise we might have a mouthful of fig wasps.
In summary: Your (Calimyrna)figs contain flower-digested wasps, not crunchy wasp bits. And the wasps in question are about two millimetres long, so getting enough of them into your cakes to add texture might be a little too much effort. [Big Grin]
Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 23 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Are the crunchy bits in a Fig Newton actual Fig Wasp parts?
No, that's just the catsup.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We used to have a fig tree. Waspies all OVER dey place.

I dunno if there be waspies in my fig newtons but if there is, all I can say is, I love me some waspie parts. I could eat a whole bag of newtons in one sitting.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, I'm stuck on something Opus once said:

"If fig newtons are made from fruit and cake, then what the hell is fruitcake?!?"

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fun with a 9mm
Deck the Malls

Icon 22 posted      Profile for Fun with a 9mm   E-mail Fun with a 9mm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Is this true? Are the crunchy bits in a Fig Newton actual Fig Wasp parts?

Last time I had a fig newton, the crunchy bits looked like SEEDS.

--------------------
I'm not mean, you're just a big sissy. -Happy Bunny

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.- Verbal Kint

Trespassers will be pelted with jellyfish.- Daniel Cluley

Posts: 221 | From: Bradenton, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
foxbitca
Mashed Potato Time

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxbitca     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fun with a 9mm:
Last time I had a fig newton, the crunchy bits looked like SEEDS.

Yeah, WASP seeds!

No, no, don't get up. [fish]

--------------------
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. --Mitch Hedberg

Posts: 37 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bunion
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bunion     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snapdragonfly:
We used to have a fig tree. Waspies all OVER dey place.

I dunno if there be waspies in my fig newtons but if there is, all I can say is, I love me some waspie parts. I could eat a whole bag of newtons in one sitting.

The only problem with Fig Newtons is that there is only 2 servings per bag. You open up the yellow outside wrapper and there are 2 stacks of cookies. Some days you might not be hungry and leave 4 or 5 individual cookies, but that really isn't enough for another full snack so you are pretty much obiligated to finish them off anyway.

Bunion

--------------------
You get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun then you do with a kind word alone.

Posts: 44 | From: Columbia, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's kind of like those pints of Ben and Jerry's ice cream. There is ONE pint, right? That means ONE serving! Where do they get off saying there are four??

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spamamander:
That's kind of like those pints of Ben and Jerry's ice cream. There is ONE pint, right? That means ONE serving! Where do they get off saying there are four??

The USDA sets the serving size for all products, so you can compare Ben & Jerry's with Häagen-Dazs.

As a general rule, the label serving size is the same as the serving size in the food pyramid, to help you use the food pyramid.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, Jason...I think the ice cream and cookie serving sizes referenced here are being consumed with tongue in cheek. [Wink]

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why are they called 'Newtons' in the US? We just call 'em fig rolls.

As an aside, the relationship between the wasp and the fig always represents to me the absolute wonder and precariousness of nature as a whole...

>Ahem!<

>toke<

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ask and you shall receive:
"Originally, the Fig Newton was just called the Newton. There is an old rumor that James Henry Mitchell, the funnel machine's inventor, named the cookies after that great physicist, Sir Isaac Newton, but that was just a rumor. The cookies were named after the Massachusetts town of Newton, which was close to Kennedy Biscuits. Kennedy Biscuits had a tradition of naming cookies and crackers after the surrounding towns near Boston. The name changed from Newton to Fig Newton, after the original fig jam inside the cookie gained good reviews. Later the name changed to Fig Newton Cookies."

Thank goodnes it wasn't near Barnstable.
Besides, otherwise the song wouldn't rhyme.

"One more time! The big fig newton"

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Gayle - i'm more of a Chocolate HobNob man myself [Wink]

--------------------

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My local grocery carries those. I'm going to have to try them.
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
Thank you Gayle - i'm more of a Chocolate HobNob man myself [Wink]

Hurray! HobNobs! Me! Me! Gimme one! Me!

Don "one nibble and you're nobbled" Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

quote:
Originally posted by Gayle:
My local grocery carries those. I'm going to have to try them.

You won't be sorry you did. Best with a hot beverage - preferably tea, you understand [lol]

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/biscuits/previous.php3?item=118

--------------------

Faith
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
/off topic

I always found it gently amusing that Taggart (in the eponymous detective show) used to call McVitie (the forensic scientist) "Biscuit".

/off topic

--------------------
"You watched it. You can't UNWATCH it."

Posts: 1646 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
paudie phelan
"Repaint and thin no more!"

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paudie phelan     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
FYI Fig Newtons are Nabisco's take on Fig Rolls. Whilst Fig Rolls are better than the Newtons, neither are fit to lace the boots of any member of the Hob Nob family,
Posts: 10 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

quote:
Originally posted by afternoonteaburger:
FYI Fig Newtons are Nabisco's take on Fig Rolls. Whilst Fig Rolls are better than the Newtons, neither are fit to lace the boots of any member of the Hob Nob family,

Not so - The original fig cakes 'were' Newtons - as per Gayle's post. Few people this side of the pond know they are a US invention.

But aye, gimme a HobNob any day [Wink]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages