snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Food » Don't put canned food in the refrigerator

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Don't put canned food in the refrigerator
entropy9
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 05 posted      Profile for entropy9   E-mail entropy9   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello all. My mom told me once never to put cans in the fridge because you can get food poisoning. Is this true? Some cans say store at room temp but will letting them get cold harm you?
Posts: 73 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YeeMum
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YeeMum   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Once you open the cans you should store the unused portion in another container. Not the can.

Unopened cans/ no problem in the fridge.

--------------------
Contact me for discounts
Charter member WNDMDC
"I am putting you on hold now.Listen to the elevator music and LIKE it."~My 'J'

Posts: 1816 | From: NE, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
landmammal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landmammal   E-mail landmammal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it a safety issue or a taste issue? My mom always put leftover canned stuff in a separate container too, but I never asked why. They sell can covers for pet food... and I use them... could I be making my doggie sick? [Eek!] I don't leave unfinished portions of MY food in the can, but for some reason I didn't extend the practice to my pup's dinner...

--------------------
I can't put my arms down!

Posts: 273 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
5 continents
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5 continents     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can find more on this here

The impression I get is that if the food is covered (because it goes on to say that cans with resealable lids are okay), then it won't spoil as quickly.

I also found several links about covering dog food, so don't worry about poisoning your pets.

However, I too always remove the leftovers from the can and put it in a plastic (tupperware like) containers.

--------------------
May those that love us, love us. And those that don't may God turn their hearts, and if He can't turn their hearts may He turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping.

Posts: 63 | From: Ghana, West Africa/Houston, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
landmammal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landmammal   E-mail landmammal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the link, 5 continents! The can covers I use are pretty much like the resealable lids, so I guess Zelda's food stays safe and yummy in the fridge.
quote:
This is because when a can has been opened and the food is open to the air, the tin may transfer more quickly to the can’s contents.
Then, in the "kitchen foil" section:
quote:
This is because aluminium can affect the taste of these sorts of food, especially if they are stored in aluminium containers for a long time.
So it sounds to me like you're not supposed to do it because your food will taste metallic, rather than you'll be poisoned.

--------------------
I can't put my arms down!

Posts: 273 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YeeMum
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YeeMum   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It used to be a safety issue.(It may not be so much now but Mum taught me to do it that way so I do.) There's a rational reason
Older alum cans may not have been treated on the inside surface as well.

Exposure to the air may cause some oxidation of the inside of the can.
Citric juices can speed this process if left in an opened can.

--------------------
Contact me for discounts
Charter member WNDMDC
"I am putting you on hold now.Listen to the elevator music and LIKE it."~My 'J'

Posts: 1816 | From: NE, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom told me never leave food in opened aluminum cans because you'll get alzheimers. I don't think she has anything to back that up though.
Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TransponderHut
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TransponderHut   E-mail TransponderHut   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm... around the Holiday season, we always seem to have a can of cranberry sauce in the 'fridge and I never notice any difference.
Posts: 47 | From: Maine | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
entropy9
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropy9   E-mail entropy9   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YeeMum:
It used to be a safety issue.(It may not be so much now but Mum taught me to do it that way so I do.) There's a rational reason

Yeah this is basically what my mom says...oxidation and whatnot...but I'm guessing that's not a problem anymore?
Posts: 73 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StewPot
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StewPot   E-mail StewPot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can verify from experience that tomato sauce and chili both start tasting metallic if the food is left in the opened cans. I think it all depends on the type of can. For example, I buy nacho cheese from Sam's Club in number 10 cans. I can keep the cheese in these cans in the fridge for a couple of weeks without noticing any metallic taste. These cans seem to have some sort of enamel coating on the inside.

Then again, it might just be that the cheese is less acidic than the tomato sauce and chili.

--------------------
One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds.
-Frank Zappa

Posts: 135 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YeeMum:

In the restaurant biz, the health inspectors said the same thing. They knew that treated linings weren't an issue, but the laws don't always reflect reality.

Further, when you open a can you have a ridge at the top from the can opener. If not sealed air tight, food remainants will spoil on that portion quickly, while the rest of the food in the can remains OK longer. When you pour past the spoiled portion, you'vr contaminaited everything else.

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard Nixon
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Nixon   E-mail Richard Nixon       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You shouldn't put cans in the refrigerator? Uh oh.
Posts: 92 | From: Crystal Lake, Illinois | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sleeping_dragon
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 01 posted      Profile for sleeping_dragon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think ~my~ mom told me that just because she didn't want us kids spilling stuff all over in the fridge. [Big Grin]

--------------------
He who angers you controls you.

Posts: 33 | From: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages