snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Food » Cream of Maggot

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cream of Maggot
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 23 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I've heard that up until the 1970s, Cambpells put minced maggots
into their soups to increase the protein content. Is this an urban legend?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Moeko'sOwl
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moeko'sOwl     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think my soul just died a little reading that. EWWWWW!

--------------------
We are all equal, be it before the eyes of God, or for our own sake. We are all worthy of the same fundamental rights, freedoms, and, protections. Mindless hatred is unjustifiable. -Squoval

Posts: 320 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 605 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope. They're only good whole and if you're winning money!

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hot Toast
Baby 100 Grand

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hot Toast   E-mail Hot Toast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard that they were used as a thickener. [Big Grin]

ETA: Smilie

Posts: 36 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why? Flour is cheaper.

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hot Toast
Baby 100 Grand

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hot Toast   E-mail Hot Toast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a joke, would you like me to add smilies?
Posts: 36 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Might help, since we've seen so many comments like that before that were intended to be taken seriously.

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StewPot
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StewPot   E-mail StewPot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Toast:

It works. It certainly is thickening to me. Thick, thick, thick!

--------------------
One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds.
-Frank Zappa

Posts: 135 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maggots are grown on meat. Wouldn't it be easier to just put the meat in the soup?

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
Maggots are grown on meat. Wouldn't it be easier to just put the meat in the soup?

Maggots only eat rotten meat - oh hang on that's mulligatawny...carry on.

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Toast:

...and to add, grubs can be used as thickeners, very nutritious too, but you have to be careful with maggots to to their aforementioned environment being rotten - give them a thorough boiling up before smushing them into whatever hot soup you've managed to prepare yourself...

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want to strictly define "maggots" as fly larvae, no they do not all grow on meat or animals. Some flies lay their eggs in insects; many flies lay eggs on plants or in fruit. A number of flies lay eggs in mushrooms. I suppose Campbell's could try adding "nutrients" to Cream of Mushroom soup this way.

However, there is the pesky problem where the FDA demands that food labels be true and correct. If a product contains two or more ingredients, it must " bear the common or usual name of each of the ingredients." There used to be an exemption for "standardized foods" such as mayonnaise, ketchup, jelly, or orange juice. That is now gone.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grand Illusion
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grand Illusion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Grand Illusion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As a kid, my mom told me that the chicken in Campbell's soup was really chopped worms. This was on a day when she wanted me to eat something other than soup, so I'm sure she had ulterior motives. Then, when I started eating imitation bacon bits straight from the jar, she told me that those were really dried worms. After all that, I just decided that I liked the taste of whatever those things were made of and as long as they were legal to sell, they mustn't be too horrible.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" - The Brain

Posts: 587 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
...and to add, grubs can be used as thickeners, very nutritious too, but you have to be careful with maggots to to their aforementioned environment being rotten - give them a thorough boiling up before smushing them into whatever hot soup you've managed to prepare yourself... [/QB]

Jay Tea, you write this as though you are familiar with buggy additives. I know I'm gonna regret this, but do tell how you know so much about 'grubbing' food.

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages