snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Food » 10 spoonfuls of sugar help the Coca-Cola go down

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 10 spoonfuls of sugar help the Coca-Cola go down
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: It is true that a Coke (one can) has 10 spoonfuls of sugar?
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrekkerScout
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrekkerScout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to Coca-Cola, an 8 ounce serving has the equivalent of 27 grams (97 calories) of sugar. This means that the standard 12 ounce can has 40.5 grams (145.5 calories). A typical teaspoon of sugar contains 16 calories. Therefore, a can of Coca-Cola has just over 9 teaspoons of sugar, which is fairly close to the commentor's claim.
Posts: 306 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gizard
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gizard   E-mail gizard   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's corn syrup though. Thanks to the racist tariffs on non- white countries bringing in cane sugar our Coke has to be made with syrup due to the uber price difference.
Posts: 64 | From: Missoula, MT | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The tariffs aren't racist -- they apply equally to all countries that grow sugar no matter what the ethnicity of their population.

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to ask, WTH are you talking about? I have to admit that I'm far more interested in science than economic policy but what tariffs are you two referring to?

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Which 'white' countries produce cane sugar? More importantly, the tariffs cover all sugar, not just cane sugar.

I'm not defending the tariffs, but implying that they are racist is a little unnecesary and over the top.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
reflex
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reflex   E-mail reflex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I don't think any malice was intended when the tariffs were established. They do more to protect the corn farmers than to punish Caribbean states.

However, I do agree that HFCS sucks, and I wish the soda manufacturers would offer their products with cane sugar and let me decide which I prefer to drink. I'd gladly pay an extra nickel or dime per soda if that were the case. As of now, I'm stuck drinking diet cola. Blech.

I get the real think when I'm in Guatemala, and I'm going to see if they sell coke with sugar in Puerto Rico in a week or so. I'll keep you all informed... [Smile]

--------------------
The opinions expressed herein do not represent those of any rational human being and are solely for the purpose of entertainment.

Posts: 487 | From: Brick City (Newark), NJ | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smartymarty66
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smartymarty66         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
Which 'white' countries produce cane sugar? More importantly, the tariffs cover all sugar, not just cane sugar.

I'm not defending the tariffs, but implying that they are racist is a little unnecesary and over the top.

Australia produces sugar cane
Posts: 58 | From: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The US and the EU produce sugar.

World Sugar Statistics from Ilovo, a South African sugar company.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lotta Palaver
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 23 posted      Profile for Lotta Palaver         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
from Ilovo
quote:
The international sugar season runs from September to August
Soooo...sugar is always in season? AWESOME!

But there's also some disturbing news from this site if you're American. We're majorly getting our asses kicked by Mexico and Brazil. I can't let my country down! MUST EAT MORE SUGAR!!!

--------------------
Your ultimate source of superfluous flummery.

Posts: 595 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by reflex:

However, I do agree that HFCS sucks, and I wish the soda manufacturers would offer their products with cane sugar and let me decide which I prefer to drink. I'd gladly pay an extra nickel or dime per soda if that were the case. As of now, I'm stuck drinking diet cola. Blech.

I get the real think when I'm in Guatemala, and I'm going to see if they sell coke with sugar in Puerto Rico in a week or so. I'll keep you all informed... [Smile]

OT- Sometimes you can find soda from Mexico or other places in small or ethnic grocery stores... It's either made with sugar or there is some other difference because it tastes different. I once bought a Coke like this in a glass bottle at a liquor store in my neighborhood, and it tasted fantastic. I was hooked.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The sugar tariffs actually go back through most of our nations history, so its not just about protecting corn farmers, although thats a recent aspect of it. Its only 20 years or so ago that our soft drink manufacturers switched to corn syrup. We briefly relaxed our sugar tariffs in the 70s, but Reagan's Republicans quickly accepted sugar industry lobbying (bribes) and restored it, a factor that helped precipitate the switch to corn syrup.

The sugar tariffs are basically massive corporate welfare for what sugar growers we do have in this country. Our climate isn't well suited to growing sugar, but because of the growers political lobbying we subsidize them enough to be able to grow it rather than just importing cheap sugar. Sometimes a politician will try to stand up to them, but there is just too much money spent on lobbying, and not enough public awareness for there to be public will behind it. It costs us a lot of money actually, since the effect of the expensive sugar is felt in all of our food industries.

That having been said, I don't think these tariffs are racially motivated, they're just too firmly entrenched for corrupt politicians to get rid of. Although there may have been a racial element when they were first instituted, considering back in those days our sugar plantations were manned by slave labor.

I think we really need to cut off our absurd sugar tariffs and just move to free trade. The only people to benefit are a few farmers trying to grow a crop in the wrong climate, and the list of reasons against it are immense. Many central american farmers would be growing sugar instead of cocaine if there was the market for it.

Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The sugar plantations in the Caribean also relied on slave labour.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
shebeeinks
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shebeeinks   E-mail shebeeinks   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anywere there are big Hispanic communities you can find Coke(Sprite, Pepsi, whatever) with sugar(and in glass bottles) that are imported from Mexico. They taste better and are smaller in size. I love going to the local grocery as well as Dillons(Owned by Krogers)to buy them. But, I have read in some newspapers lately that regional bottlers are not happy and want to stop the importing because it cuts into their profits. The soda companies really don't care because a Coke is a Coke no matter where its made. As long as it meets the basic standards.
Posts: 21 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by reflex:
However, I do agree that HFCS sucks, and I wish the soda manufacturers would offer their products with cane sugar and let me decide which I prefer to drink. I'd gladly pay an extra nickel or dime per soda if that were the case.

Here you find some of the sodas that are bottled locally are made using beet sugar since this is grown and produced here and therefore, is easy to get. It has a different flavor from either corn syrup or cane sugar but it's closer to the latter.

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Unsung Hero

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Unsung Hero         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay! This thread just helped me solve the mystery of why Mexican Coca-Cola tastes so much better!

--------------------
"Oh, is that what the kids call it these days..." - Some genius

Posts: 30 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dr. Soda

A case of 24 7oz glass bottles of real sugar coke.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
00-Saleen
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 00-Saleen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another vote for Mexican sodas! HEB (a TX chain) carries them; so does the Food Lion in my rural VA home. I like the Jarritos and the sangria flavor that I believe Topo Chico makes.
Posts: 239 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Vivling
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vivling     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a question for the soda buffs. All coke here lists "sugar (glucose/fructose)" as the second ingredient. Is that the same as cane sugar, or is it corn syrup?

--------------------
Climb up, over the the top
Shake it, take control
You've got to find out for yourself whether or not you're truly trying
--Jason Mraz

Posts: 1686 | From: British Columbia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cobra4J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobra4J   E-mail Cobra4J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tariffs or not- one thing is certain- Coke tastes much better in Canada, where it's made with real sugar.

I was reading a few articles recently about Corn Syrup. According to several people, it has kind of an addictive quality to it. You drink some, and you want more and more. Back in the 1950s, if you tried to down 2 liters of Coke, you'd probably find yourself pretty full pretty fast. Today, I can literally drink down a 2 liter container of Coke, Pepsi, Mt. Dew and other soft drinks. After drinking that one 1/2 liter of Coke in Canada, I was starting to feel full.

When did Corn Syrup take over much of the sugar market in the USA? In the 1970s. When did people start to notice a higher and higher obesity rate in America? In the 1980s. Have we seen a sharp rise in soft drink sales over the last 30 years? I don't have a source to quote, but I bet the answer is yes. I bet Corn Syrup is playing a large role in our obesity and diabetes problem- and the funny thing is, while we are tariffing sugar we are subsedizing corn syrup. Your tax dollars at work people. Enjoy it.

Posts: 479 | From: Owosso, MI | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlushingBride
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Slight sidetrack, but on topic...

I used to live in Dublin, TX, one of the only places where you can get Dr. Pepper made to the original formula, with real cane sugar instead of corn syrup. People go nuts for it. You can buy it at Central Market in Fort Worth for ridiculously high prices, and sometimes you'll see a gas station or something advertising "We have Dublin Dr. Pepper!" My Dad used to buy 24 packs of it, as well as cases of the bottles, to give as gifts to family and friends who oohed and aaahed over it.

I could never taste that big of a difference in it. It was good, but it wasn't a huge difference from regular Dr. Pepper. However, it was vastly more satisfying. I could drink one of the small 8oz bottles and get just as much satisfaction as I got from drinking a 20oz of the regular. When we moved out of there, I couldn't understand why the soda suddenly seemed so much less satisfying. I could guzzle an entire can in minutes and still crave more. The sugar really does fill you up.

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jeffrey814
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeffrey814   E-mail Jeffrey814   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra4J:
When did Corn Syrup take over much of the sugar market in the USA? In the 1970s. When did people start to notice a higher and higher obesity rate in America? In the 1980s. Have we seen a sharp rise in soft drink sales over the last 30 years? I don't have a source to quote, but I bet the answer is yes. I bet Corn Syrup is playing a large role in our obesity and diabetes problem- and the funny thing is, while we are tariffing sugar we are subsedizing corn syrup. Your tax dollars at work people. Enjoy it.

Yeah, the obesity problem could be the fault of corn syrup, but don't give it all the credit.

What about:
-PCs
-video game consoles
-cable & sattelite tv
-central air
-suburban sprawl (less walking/more driving)
-Parents that watch too much news & think if they let their kids out into the neighborhood they have a 90% chance of being abducted & sold as sex slaves in mysterious foreign lands, or murdered/molested by rabid bands of heroin junkies and their pit-bulls with bird flu.

I personally blame lifestyle changes well ahead of our crappy foods.(For arguments sake I'll say 80/20)

Jeffrey

--------------------
A little nonsense now and then...

Posts: 478 | From: Wonder Lake, IL | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cobra4J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobra4J   E-mail Cobra4J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
O- no argument Jeffrey- lack of exercise is probably as much to blame for obesity as anything else-

However, as Blushingbride noted, when a soft drink is made with real sugar, you feel like stopping after 8 or 12 ounces. You don't need 4, or 48 ounces- It's the difference between 100 calories and 400 calories. 100 calories can be walked off in a mile or 2 (1/2 hour walk). Anybody got the time to walk 4-8 miles to burn off one big gulp?

Posts: 479 | From: Owosso, MI | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey814:
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra4J:

Yeah, the obesity problem could be the fault of corn syrup, but don't give it all the credit.

What about:
-PCs
-video game consoles
-cable & sattelite tv
-central air
-suburban sprawl (less walking/more driving)
-Parents that watch too much news & think if they let their kids out into the neighborhood they have a 90% chance of being abducted & sold as sex slaves in mysterious foreign lands, or murdered/molested by rabid bands of heroin junkies and their pit-bulls with bird flu.

I personally blame lifestyle changes well ahead of our crappy foods.(For arguments sake I'll say 80/20)

Jeffrey

You forgot "eating huge portions very quickly in between classes/meetings/trains etc" and "only feeling satisfied by sugar-fat-salt laden food."
[Smile]

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
shebeeinks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shebeeinks   E-mail shebeeinks   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When did Corn Syrup replace sugar in most U.S. sodas?
Back during WWII actually, when all the sugar was going to the war effort. Each household was given rations for things like flour and sugar.
Most companies lost out on being able to get sugar so they had to find others things to "sweeten" their products with. Pepsi tried to get around this by buying cane sugar fields down in Cuba. But as soon as they did the U.S. Government step in and took control of the fields because they belonged to a U.S. company(Of Course that was before Castor overthrow the Cuban government and took control of everything and kicked out most Americans and American Companies).
Then most companies found it was cheaper and easier to keep using corn syrup because corn can be planted in almost every state of the union. They wouldn't have to ship sugar in, and it would keep farmers in business. It was only later when sugar became cheap and readily available again that the Government tapped on heavy tarrifs.

Posts: 21 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 602 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vivling.:
I have a question for the soda buffs. All coke here lists "sugar (glucose/fructose)" as the second ingredient. Is that the same as cane sugar, or is it corn syrup?

I see you are in BC. If that's the case, chances are it's cane sugar. Unless you have a can of pop that came from the States in which case, corn syrup it is.

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TwoGuyswithaHat:
quote:
Originally posted by Vivling.:

I see you are in BC. If that's the case, chances are it's cane sugar. Unless you have a can of pop that came from the States in which case, corn syrup it is.
It might also be beet sugar. I've learned unless it's specifically makred as cane sugar it can be either.

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemi:
It might also be beet sugar. I've learned unless it's specifically makred as cane sugar it can be either.

Noemi

It is possible that it's sugar beers, however it is unlikely as 90% of all refined sugar in Canada is from sugar cane.

"Canada produces over 1.1 million tonnes of refined sugar annually. Approximately 90% is refined cane sugar from imported raw sugar. The remainder is refined beet sugar from Canada's domestically grown sugar beets."

Sugar Industry

IIRC, the inexpensive supply of cane sugar is part of the reason that Lifesavers are now made in Canada.

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages