snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Food » Coke/Pepsi and teeth color

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coke/Pepsi and teeth color
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 219 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heya there,

Someone just warned me that drinking Pepsi would end up giving my teeth a healthy brown shine because of the chemical colors and whatnot, to which I answered that thanks, but I brush my teeth every day. This topic isn't covered in the cokelore section of the site, I'm just wondering if there is any way to debunk this in a more scientific way?

Thanks!

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, you could figure out what the coloring agent is (caramel color is descriptive but not very helpful chemically speaking). Once you know that, you can figure out whether it is a dye agent. Then you can probably look up on the 'net whether it's a colorfast dye or not.

Tea does stain the teeth. But then, you can use tea as a dye all by itself (tannic acid, ya know).

I've never heard of using caramel coloring as a dye, and since it washes out of fabrics without staining, I'd say there's a good chance that it is not colorfast.

[Big Grin]

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mccliii
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's more likly that the acid in soda will etch your teeth and make them more susceptable to any kind of stain.

abstract

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"More likely" is a phrase indicating comparison--what are you comparing the acid etching to?

If the coloring agent is not a dye, it won't stain whether the surface is made susceptible to staining or not.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am actually trying to get one of my friends to wrangle some teeth from a dentist buddy of hers so I can test it out. I also plan to re-test the disolving teeth myth since he apparently swears they do it all the time. Let me know if you want me to keep you posted on what happens.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MacLloyd
God Rest Ye Merry Merchants

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MacLloyd     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PallasAthena:
I am actually trying to get one of my friends to wrangle some teeth from a dentist buddy of hers so I can test it out. I also plan to re-test the disolving teeth myth since he apparently swears they do it all the time. Let me know if you want me to keep you posted on what happens.

My daughter did this as a science project about seven years ago. She used six of her baby teeth and soaked them in: Coke, Pepsi, lemon juice, orange juice, soda water, and tap water (as a control). She left them in the liquids (changing the liquid everyday) for five weeks. She took the teeth out every week and took pictures.

The results: none of the teeth should any appreciable signs of disolving, though the Coke and Pepsi teeth were noticeably brown.

She got an "A" on the project. [Smile]

MacLloyd

--------------------
"May you make the Yuletide pay!"

Posts: 811 | From: Arcadia, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tanta07
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tanta07   E-mail tanta07   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac&CheeseLloyd:
quote:
Originally posted by PallasAthena:

My daughter did this as a science project about seven years ago. She used six of her baby teeth and soaked them in: Coke, Pepsi, lemon juice, orange juice, soda water, and tap water (as a control). She left them in the liquids (changing the liquid everyday) for five weeks. She took the teeth out every week and took pictures.

The results: none of the teeth should any appreciable signs of disolving, though the Coke and Pepsi teeth were noticeably brown.

She got an "A" on the project. [Smile]

MacLloyd

I did that one as well as a science project in middle school. I didn't get any noticable decay of the teeth, either. It was then that I started to hear about these things called "urban legends." And the rest, as they say, is history.
Posts: 253 | From: Colorado | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MapMaker
Maximillian Andorra

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MapMaker   Author's Homepage   E-mail MapMaker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank god for your tests! About 5 years ago I stopped drinking coffee and switched to a soda induced fix of caffeine when needed. I've often heard of the teeth rot legend and have been kinda worried about it but never stopped drinking the fizzy concoction.

--------------------
"I'm looking over your shoulder, but only because I've got your back" -Stephen Colbert

Posts: 468 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lioness
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lioness         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Even though tea stains, the tannins are different from the tannic acid found in leather. Tea tannins are similar to the tannins found in grape skins.

Sodas are worse for you than tea or coffee, especially those made with high fructose corn syrup like Pepsi. I do enjoy a soda, but no more than 2 8oz servings a day. Instead I drink water, and get my caffeine boost from morning coffee and tea during the day.

Posts: 223 | From: Long Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In fact, the Mythbusters did this one while testing cola myths (such as cola as a cleaning agent for car bumpers and toilets).

The best way to prevent this from happening, IMO, would be to either drink something else or brush your teeth afterwards. For those occasions when you can't brush your teeth, I would imagine drinking some water (or possibly chewing sugar free gum, though I only know what the commercials tell me) would help a bit.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
alicia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alicia   Author's Homepage   E-mail alicia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
if drinking pepsi or coke made one's teeth turn brown, wouldn't a pretty significant portion of america be sporting brown chompers by now?
Posts: 131 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you kept swilling coke around you mouth all day without swallowing yes it would stain, for the amount of time that the drink stays in the mouth the effect is negligable as any other colourant in food.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
timbobmc
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 503 posted      Profile for timbobmc   E-mail timbobmc   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LittleDuck:
(or possibly chewing sugar free gum, though I only know what the commercials tell me) would help a bit.

My dentist told me that chewing a piece of sugar free gum for 15-30 minutes after eating is good when you can't brush your teeth. Brushing is better, but the chewing gum causes a steady flow of saliva that washes out your mouth.

Unfortunately, he's also told me not to chew gum at all since I have problems with the TMJ from grinding my teeth when stressed.

--------------------
Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen.

Posts: 536 | From: Gonzales, Louisiana | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My dentist told me just to drink coke through a straw.

When I was in school one of the girls did the desolving teeth science project, only she also used rootbeer. That one did actually disolve.

She got an 'A,' too. [Smile]

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bill
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just was thinking the other day:

Many years ago one of my older cousins told us kids that dentists tell their child patients not to drink Coke, but that it's okay to drink Pepsi because Coke has some ingredient that's bad for teth that Pepsi doesn't.

Then again, this cousin wasn't all that knowledgeable.

Thanks.

Bill

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just an note. I was a dental technician for 10 years (crowns and bridges basicly metal and porcelain work), and I can say with some certainty dentists don't know what they are talking about half the time. They are trained in their trade (pulling and filling)but precious little else on general matters like knowing what chemical constitutes dye, rot, or otherwise effects teeth.
It's like your local car mechanic telling you about the chemical constitutes of the oil you are using in your car. It's all personal opinion and about as accurate as your average old wifes tales.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages