snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Crime » Put the brakes on car ad scam

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Put the brakes on car ad scam
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 18 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A Northern San Joaquin Valley man got an unexpected offer recently when he put his vehicle up for sale on AutoTrader.com, a Web site that hosts ads for vehicle sales. He received an e-mail from a person claiming to be with the California Department of Motor Vehicles' "CPD Information Services Branch." The contact said he was working on behalf of a client in Canada who wanted to buy the man's vehicle, but could only do so with a cashier's check for more than the agreed sale price.

http://www.modbee.com/business/story/13140654p-13786763c.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Neeva
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Neeva   E-mail Lady Neeva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It amazes me, with the news coverage that these types of scams have been generating for the past few years, that anyone still falls for them.

When it comes to selling/trading anything (in any venue, not just the internet), I always follow the advice my parents gave me...

1) If it sounds to good to be true, it is.
2) If you have to ask, you can't afford it.
3) Get everything in writing.
4) Read everything before signing anything.

Simple rules, but I've never gotten burned using them. It amazes me how intelligent my parents got after I grew up LOL.

Posts: 58 | From: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages