snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Crime » Online scam turns honest citizens into fences for stolen goods

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Online scam turns honest citizens into fences for stolen goods
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
By the time Scott Wilson realized how badly he'd been suckered, there was already a warrant out for his arrest and boxes of stolen Bibles piling up in his guest bedroom.

Wilson had fallen victim to a reshipping scam, an Internet confidence crime authorities say costs retailers more than a half-billion dollars annually. Hired to send and receive packages, the 38-year-old Las Vegas father had unwittingly become a fence for stolen merchandise; his townhouse a depot of purloined goods.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/sun/2006/dec/24/566660076.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara R.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara R.   E-mail Barbara R.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tragic! Poor Mr. Wilson!

Nevada is indeed the scam artist captial of the nation. I remember some 15 years ago there was a telephone scam operating out of Las Vegas from a marketing outfit called American Premier Marketing. They were working on behalf of a company called Sierra Pacific and Legacy which sold sundry items from vitamins to ceramic figurines. They would call people by phone and tell them that they were guaranteed fabulous expensive prizes. There would be a choice from five different categories: jewelry, a car, an expensive trip, a stereo, or the like. Within a month the scam victim would receive another call and the caller would supposedly select a prize at random--roulette well style--and the "prize" would be announced. But during the first call the month before, the victim had to "try out one of the company's products." This would cost the victim hundreds of dollars. However, when the prize was "selected" upon the second call, it would turn out to be very cheap, in the area of only 30 dollars or so! Not only that, but the same victim would be contacted several more times and conned over and over again!

Fortunately, this scam was discovered and the scammers were arrested and prosecuted. The company, Sierra Pacific and Legacy went out of business.

Barbara R.

Posts: 378 | From: Boonville, Missouri USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, if you end up unwittingly falling for a scam like this, how do you get your life and reputation back?

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
He could probably start by handing all the bibles and information over to the police. The only reason Mr. Wilson currently has a warrant is because he's not paying his child support, and I really can't feel sorry for that. Paying child support should always come before hair-brained get-rich-quick schemes.
Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But the world's best-selling book is stolen for just that reason; there's a demand, and the Good Book is easy to unload on the black market.
There's a black market demand for bibles ? [Confused]
Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
emperor_genghis_khan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emperor_genghis_khan   E-mail emperor_genghis_khan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I couldn't read the article but some bibles are very nice ad very expensive so I could see thm not being hard to see at slashed prices.

--------------------
Excuses satisfy only those who offer them. Your enemies won't believe them and your friends don't need them.

Posts: 211 | From: Ponce, Puerto Rico | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magpie:
He could probably start by handing all the bibles and information over to the police. The only reason Mr. Wilson currently has a warrant is because he's not paying his child support, and I really can't feel sorry for that. Paying child support should always come before hair-brained get-rich-quick schemes.

He's not purposely not paying the child support though; and he didn't get behind until after he got stuck in this whole never-ending circle of the scam. I feel kinda bad for him. He might have been "stupid" and "naive" but (from what little I could gather from the article) he didn't seem like he was a "bad" guy.

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages