snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Crime » Don't use someone else's catalog!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Don't use someone else's catalog!
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 103 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: If you receive anything in the mail (such as a catalog,
advertisement,
etc.) that has someone else's name OR CURRENT RESIDENT OR CURRENT
BUSINESS, please throw it away or you may wind up in the same boat as I
did. I got arrested Friday for identity theft for using a catalog that
came to our address with a name OR CURRENT BUSINESS on the label.
Because we were the "current business" I ordered $54 worth of Christmas
presents for my grandbabies. I changed the name, address, etc. to the
current business (which is the mobile home park that we manage) when I
placed the order. However, because I used the catalog with someone
else's name on it (although it said "or current business", I was
arrested for "unauthorized use of an access card" (which was the
catalog I used).

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RainyDaze
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 102 posted      Profile for RainyDaze   E-mail RainyDaze   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If using the catalog causes the wrong person to be charged for the goods then it would be fraud and identity theft. The merchant is more at fault then the customer however. I don't see how this could happen. Purchasing from a catalog always requires a form of payment. Any business that sends out a catalog and allows purchases from it to be charged to an existing account is just asking for a lawsuit. More so if no verification of identity is used. Even more so if the catalog is addressed to "CURRENT RESIDENT" or "CURRENT BUSINESS". Smells like a UL to me.
Posts: 19 | From: Springfield, VA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RealityChuck/Boston Charlie
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Author's Homepage   E-mail RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Silly. What if you picked up a catalog in one of the merchant's retail outlets? Does this mean you can't legally order from it? Of course not (for one thing, it would make all catalogs useless).

The only reason for catalogs to have OR CURRENT RESIDENT on them is so that the catalog will be delivered to the address if the original resident moved. The company would rather have you look at the catalog -- and order from it -- than have it thrown away. Making it illegal to do so would eliminate the entire point of putting that wording on the label.

Posts: 675 | From: Schenectady, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Working in small retail though, we sometimes have to buy catalogs that offer special wholesale prices. As the manager of a trailer park she might not have the merchant license needed to legally order the stuff?

Maybe? ...oh what do I know I'm a register monkey.

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grand Illusion
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grand Illusion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Grand Illusion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If they had told the mail order company to keep the same account# but with a different name and address (like it sounds like they did), I could see how that might be grounds for identify theft under some technicality.

However, when I've ordered from another person's catalog, I've always made it clear to the retaler that I was ordering from someone else's catalog, and to set me up with a different account#. In fact, when I neglect to do so, the phone operator has told me that I wasn't the name & address on the account and I've had to say, "Sorry, I forgot to tell you I'm not that person."

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" - The Brain

Posts: 587 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sly Dog
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sly Dog   E-mail Sly Dog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Catalogs that are addressed "or Current Resident" are business mass mailings. Based on just what is said in the OP, it couldn't happen. And that relates in large measure to the contracts bulk mailers have with the Postal Service. But if it did it would require (1) a very stupid Prosecutor to press charges (2)an even dumber Judge to issue a warrant and (3)an injured party, which it seems could only be the "former resident", who must be considered equally stupid for having set up a pre-payment arrangement with a company that mails confidential account infomation to "or Current Resident".

--------------------
Gruntled Postal Employee

Posts: 15 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages