snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Crime » Dead lamb from Crate & Barrel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dead lamb from Crate & Barrel
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 600 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: This came via an email forward from a co-worker...I don't see any
similar rumors on the site...could you verify?

Today one of my husband's employees told him this story:
Last weekend he and his wife went away, while they were gone a delivery
came from Crate and Barrel. They noticed a rancid smell and decided to
open the boxes. The first one had some stuff that they actually ordered.
However,
they still noticed the bad smell. They opened the second box and found a
dead baby lamb! They called the police who told them to call animal
controle, who then told them to dispose of the animal, which they did at
the local dump. Shortley after that the FBI called them (after hearing
from the police) and told them that there are some rumors that a terrorist
group is trying to spread a deadly disease in the US. They are doing tests
on the animal now.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, a dead lamb must be the most inconspicious way of spreading a deadly disease. They are so cute and cuddly that people instinctively hug them.

Nope. The dead lamb might be true, but as a carrier for a terrorist disease, fake as hell.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Would Animal Control really tell people to dispose of a dead animal at the local dump? Especially if there was suspicion that terrorists were using animal corpses to spread lethal pathogens?

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cause everybody knows that Crate and Barrel is really a front for the evil terrorist organizations....

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeuroKev
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeuroKev   E-mail NeuroKev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why would the police have called the FBI in the first place? If there was some kind of alert, the police would have taken the dead animal. If there was not an alert, the FBI would never have been contacted.
Posts: 73 | From: Bradenton, Florida | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 606 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NeuroKev:
Why would the police have called the FBI in the first place? If there was some kind of alert, the police would have taken the dead animal. If there was not an alert, the FBI would never have been contacted.

I could see the police calling the FBI. Here is the "logic":

"That lamb thing was really weird."
"Yea. Like that time.. Hey! You don't think it could be some terrorist plot?"
"Oh crap! I hear that animals were used to spread anthrax!"
"Holy Mother of Pearl! We need to call the FBI!"
"Yea, and evacuate the town....."
(panic ensues)

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe it was a promo for "Silence of the Lambs 2"

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 218 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
They opened the second box and found a
dead baby lamb!

The dead full-grown lambs are the ones you really need to watch out for.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Polyeth12
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Polyeth12     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All I could think of when I read this was that episode of the Simpsons where Milhouse finds a monkey in a basket from Pier 1.
Posts: 33 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simply Madeline
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simply Madeline     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffin at the Maul:
Cause everybody knows that Crate and Barrel is really a front for the evil terrorist organizations....

Well, they don't say "Merry Christmas"!! So, they must be supporting the terrorists!
Posts: 763 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only connection I can make is that sheep are known to carry anthrax, which was the toxin du jour several years ago.

Perhaps the FBI got involved because they wanted to confirm Clarice is still sleeping soundly in the silence of the lambs.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages