snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Crime » Fifty years for stealing a pizza.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fifty years for stealing a pizza.
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there any truth in the legend that when the "three strikes" rule came out, someone ended up with 50 years jail for stealing a piece of pizza from someone else.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
25 years:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Dewayne_Williams

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Michael Cole
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Cole   E-mail Michael Cole   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:
25 years:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Dewayne_Williams

After reading the Wikipedia entry, even after the reduction to 6 years, I would still thing that it was way too much. Assuming that there was no violence, 6 years is slightly out of proportion to the crime. It was only a slice of pizza.

Good Behaviour Bond would probably have been most appropriate. Possibly a Work Detail. At the most, 30 days jail, but 6 years? Way over the top.

--------------------
Q. What's the difference between a Computer saleman and a Used Car Salesman?
A. The Used Car Salesman knows when he is lying.

Posts: 421 | From: Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe he stole the piece of pizza from a group of young kids while they were eating, and one of the arguments used to increase the charges from a misdemeanor to a felony was that he was an intimidating guy and he scared them. The prosecutors chose to prosecute under Petty Theft with Prior Convictions which is a felony. He was also charged with Robbery, which the jury couldn't reach a verdict on. He didn't get 6 (or even the initial 25) years for stealing a piece of pizza. He got the sentence because he was a career criminal. His sentence was reduced because of the non-violent nature of his crimes. I don't think it is right to consider just the most recent crime.
http://www.elsegundo.net/2004/12/page/2/ (scroll down about halfway)

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At first I thought you were talking about this guy, but I know he got more than 50 years.

quote:
On April 15, 1994, Larry Fisher, 35, was convicted of his third strike in Snohomish County Superior Court. He will be sent to prison for the rest of his life. Fisher was convicted of putting his hand in his pocket, pretending it was a gun and robbing a sandwich shop of $151. An hour later, police arrested him at a bar a block away while he was drinking a beer. Fisher's two prior convictions involved stealing $360 from his grandfather in 1986 and then robbing a pizza parlor in of $100. The take from Fisher's criminal career totals $611 and he has never physically harmed anyone.

Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Drizzle, what are you quoting from?

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This: http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Prison_System/ThreeStrikes.html

Easy if you google part of the quote.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SeaboeMuffinchucker:
Drizzle, what are you quoting from?

Seaboe

Sorry about that. Forgot the link again. [fish]

Flowy Chloe found a good link. Thanks

When the Washington State Inisitive for the 3 strike law was voted on. I voted no, because there were to many minor fellony offences on the list. Get in a bar room fight and hit three people. If they bring fellony assalt charges for each assalt and you are found guilty. You are going to jail for life, with out parrol.

Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kch8021
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kch8021   E-mail kch8021   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
50 years for stealing a pizza!

A guy, in Davenport, Iowa killed and chopped up his wife, and he served 20 years.

I guess if he kills and chops up 2 more, he will be sentenced 50 years.

His father bought him a Restaurant, cause you know that people have a problem hiring him, especially when he is working with knives.

Posts: 87 | From: Burlington, Iowa | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Ota Faction
Happy Holly Days

Icon 201 posted      Profile for The Ota Faction   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Ota Faction   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kch8021:
50 years for stealing a pizza!

A guy, in Davenport, Iowa killed and chopped up his wife, and he served 20 years.

I guess if he kills and chops up 2 more, he will be sentenced 50 years.

Or steals the knives. [Razz]

--------------------
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
"That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out. So is that pregnant teenager. And the prostitute. And the drunkard."
Join the Free State Project - I did!

Posts: 1516 | From: *sigh* Elmira, NY | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages