snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Crime » Australian bank notes can not be forged.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Australian bank notes can not be forged.
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 203 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard that the bank notes of Australia can not be forged as they are printed on a clear plastic, rather than on paper.

quote:
In Australia, the original paper decimal currency banknotes introduced in 1966 were eventually replaced with new designs printed on clear polyester film which allowed them to have "see through" sections that are almost impossible to duplicate with a photocopier.
quote:
In 1966 when Australia converted from imperial to decimal currency, and after a spate of forgeries, Professor Solomon was invited by the Reserve Bank to be a member of a scientific think tank to develop currency that could not be forged.
How true could this be, and of course, how would you know if they had been forged.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rach
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rach   E-mail Rach   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can view a short video of the Security features here, read about the security features here .

I know for example on the $10 note, behind Banjo Patterson's head, if you get a magnifying glass and look at it to the left, there is printed there some of one of his poems "The man from Snowy River."

I guess you could forge a copy of a note that would pass a cursory look, but it would be a heck of a lot of work to get absolutely everything forged.

-Rach

--------------------
The Presence of an Intelligent Mind is one that can hold two opposing opinions at the Same Time.

Posts: 21 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zerocool
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zerocool   E-mail zerocool   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Australia also prints currency for other countries (including indonesia). I love the polyester notes because they are water proof so you can go surfing with them. Also they don't wear out as fast. And they feel just like any other money.
Posts: 336 | From: Currently: Jakarta Indonesia Australia Belgium Berkeley CA > Lima Peru< | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They don't react well to being accidentally put through the drier then ironed, though.

You could probably forge them if you had the resources, if only because what one person can make, another can eventually reproduce. Where the quote in the OP said "almost impossible to duplicate with a photocopier", I would be inclined to scratch the "almost". It certainly wouldn't be a backyard operation.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If they can be made, they can be forged. It's just a matter of how difficult it is and if it's worth it.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SiKboy
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiKboy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm fairly sure that northern ireland has a similar thing going on, because back when I worked retail we would occasionally get an irish fiver, and the newer ones had a clear plastic window. Whether that makes them unforgable (unforgible? Ach, hell with it, "impossible to forge") I dont know, but I would guess certainly a lot more difficult to do.

--------------------
This Space For Rent.

Posts: 210 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages