snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Crime » Robbing Ft. Knox -- slowly

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Robbing Ft. Knox -- slowly
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 605 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I remember an age old story of a man that robbed Ft Knox bit by
bit over the years. He rubbed the gold all over his clothes while he
worked there, then got the gold dust out of them. Over time he accumulated
a large amount of gold.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
El Chupacabra
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Chupacabra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Was his name... Goldmember?? I love Gooooooooouuuuuuuuuuld!!!!!
Posts: 83 | From: Southern California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hioghly doubt that this would work. Few people even get to go into the the fort know vault to begin with and even if you could rub gold onto yourself, it would be fairly obvious to the number of people that work there.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I seem to remember hearing that they actually WEIGH you when you enter or leave, to ensure that you aren't secreting anything out of the area. I don't think you could secret enough gold dust to not be detected and have it still be worth it. I also think people would notice if you were suddenly sparkly, too.

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What about the guy who worked at the GM factory in Detroit and built himself a Cadillac by stealing one piece at a time? Smart, huh?

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sandman
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sandman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pogue, that's a Johnny Cash song, "One Piece At a Time." It's not based on a real event.

--------------------
"I will tell you in another life, when we are both cats."

Posts: 308 | From: Cleveland | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RelicMan:
I seem to remember hearing that they actually WEIGH you when you enter or leave, to ensure that you aren't secreting anything out of the area. I don't think you could secret enough gold dust to not be detected and have it still be worth it. I also think people would notice if you were suddenly sparkly, too.

I took a tour of the Asarco refinery in Amarillo (they refine Copper from 99% Copper to 99.9999% Copper) back in high school. In the process, they refine out a good bit of gold from the copper. The people who work there have to change clothing and wash before they are let out of the area. I bet Ft. Knox has a similar system.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandman:
Pogue, that's a Johnny Cash song, "One Piece At a Time." It's not based on a real event.

Way to ruin another great urban legend. [Razz]
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The gold stored in the Depository is in the form of standard mint bars of almost pure gold or coin gold bars resulting from the melting of gold coins. These bars are about the size of an ordinary building brick, but are somewhat smaller. The approximate dimensions are 7 x 3-5/8 x 1-3/4 inches. The fine gold bars contain approximately 400 troy ounces of gold, worth $16,888.00 (based on the statutory price of $42.22 per ounce). The avoirdupois weight of the bars is about 27-1/2 pounds. They are stored in the vault compartments without wrappings. When the bars are handled, great care is exercised to avoid abrasion of the soft metal.

I doubt there's much "gold dust" floating around.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/fort-knox-depository.htm

Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
quote:

Maybe not, but the car does actually exist.

It's a '49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '54, '55, '56, '57, '58, '59 automobile...

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kanazawa
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kanazawa   E-mail kanazawa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RelicMan:
I seem to remember hearing that they actually WEIGH you when you enter or leave, to ensure that you aren't secreting anything out of the area.

Reminds me of something in one of "The Hithchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" books. Something about it being vitally important to get a receipt every time you go to the bathroom [Big Grin]

--------------------
If I say it's safe to surf this beach, then it's safe to surf this beach...

Posts: 127 | From: Cupertino, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sandman
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sandman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's awesome. I never realized that they actually built that thing! Thanks for the pic.

--------------------
"I will tell you in another life, when we are both cats."

Posts: 308 | From: Cleveland | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am reminded of the guy that worked at a timber yard. Every night, he would take a wheelbarrow load of off-cuts to his car.

The first time, the security guard asked him what he was doing. He explained that he was just taking the off-cuts for his fire at home. The security guard poked through the barrow to ensure he wasn't stealing other things.

After a while, the security guard would just wave him through without checking the barrow.

This went on for many weeks, until someone noticed all the wheelbarrows were missing.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bassist
Chess Nuts Boasting 'Round an Open Fire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bassist   E-mail Bassist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for the slight hijack, but am I the only one here who read the title of this thread and thought "Okay - another rant on Bush and the expense of the war in Iraq" [Wink]

--------------------
"I'm singing and deranged!"

Posts: 239 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by El Chupacabra:
Was his name... Goldmember?? I love Gooooooooouuuuuuuuuuld!!!!!

Being more old school, methinks it was this man:  -

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I seem to remember hearing that they actually WEIGH you when you enter or leave, to ensure that you aren't secreting anything out of the area.
Sweat, toilet visits and so on would ruin that security.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, you just get your receipt for the toilet and they factor it in when they weigh you agian. Just don't lose the receipt!

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DadOf3
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DadOf3     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Delta-V:
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
quote:

Maybe not, but the car does actually exist.

It's a '49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '54, '55, '56, '57, '58, '59 automobile...

But they got the headlights wrong:

Now the headlight's was another sight
We had two on the left and one on the right

Unless the picture is reversed, but then Cash wouldn't be in the driver's seat.

Posts: 539 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tejas
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tejas   E-mail Tejas   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
there is a sort of factual basis for this..

there was a guy at the australian mint who stole $155,000 in $2 coins by putting them in his boots..

see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4882560.stm

Posts: 4 | From: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NancyFancyPants
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NancyFancyPants     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was young and really dumb, I went to Ft. Knox to "take the tour." The soldier who stopped my car nicely informed me that there was no "tour." I turned the car around, then parked for a sec to take a couple pictures. The nice soldier started running toward me and yelling that I was not permitted to do that. I think the only reason he didn't confiscate my camera was because I had that vacant, dumb blonde look on my face.

--------------------
And on the 7th day, God said, "Let there be lips!"

Posts: 296 | From: Munhall, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages