snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Crime » kthxbai

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: kthxbai
James D
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James D   E-mail James D   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure whether to file this under crime, medicine, or horrors, but I'll put it here for now.

quote:
Teenage Suicide; Cryptic Signature Leave Authorities Guessing.
Miami, FL.
Trent Boozle.

A suicide note left by a troubled South Florida teen has sparked a extensive investigation into the meaning or identity of "kthxbai".

The parents of the teen have expressed nothing but puzzlement at the bizarre signature supposedly left by their son of seventeen years. "[our son] was always a good kid." The boys mother said during an interview, "though he did spend all of his time sitting at his computer".

The case, which was originally concluded to be an obvious suicide, has recently been re-opened after the parents demanded a more in-depth investigation considering the seemingly random group of letters the teen used to sign his final farewell.

"At first we thought it was some kind of 'word jumble' our boy left us in his final farewell", said the boys father, "We spent two weeks trying to figure it out, but it led us no where."

Extensive Investigation
The Miami Police Dept. have enlisted the assistance of their computer crimes task force to find out if there is more to this situation than a standard suicide.

"This is one of the harder tasks that we've dealt with here, simply because the only person who knows
what these letters, [kthxbai], mean has taken this knowledge to the grave", states Felicia Reven, lead detective of the Computer Crimes Task Force in Miami.

Currently, the Miami P.D. has five Detectives from the Computer Crime Task Force utilizing the majority of their high-tech machines to track down and decipher the 'code', and they estimate that it could take up to six weeks before they see any results.

For now, authorities are asking that anyone with any knowledge about the meaning or identity of "kthxbai" to please come forward. Any information on the case can be direct to the Miami Police Dept. Computer Crimes Unit by clicking Here.

Now, I'll admit this has several markings of a UL: no name for the news source. An author name for which a quick google search turns up only a copy of the claim, clueless authority figures who don't 'get' leetspeek (ok, thanks, bye). However I figured I'd post it as it does seem to be making the rounds.

--------------------
The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return. It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale.
Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - )

Posts: 244 | From: Ventura, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Considering that the very first Google hit for "kthxbai" is the urban dictionary definition, it has to be a UL. Nobody thinking that it has anything to do with the internet would neglect to try a Google search.

What's the point? It could mean two completely opposite things. Either it's meant to somehow assert that 1337 really is elite (and it fails), or it's meant to show that this "case" would be completely unimaginable, thereby proving that 1337 isn't elite at all. In either case, it fails to get its point across, if it has one.

Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The point is supposed to be along the lines of "Haha... stupid old people" or "Haha... stupid non-internet people".

It is clearly humour.

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
k=short for OK
thx=thanks
bai=bye

Where's the mystery? 1337 is not that hard to read.

Edit: Ouch, spanked by the original post. That hurts! Got to read more carefully.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:

It is clearly humour.

Only without any actual, you know ... humor.

But yeah, definitely supposed to be humor.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat

Icon 205 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chillas to the bone:

It may be humor, but humor that's going to waste the Miami Police Department's time. You just know their inbox is going to be filled with e-mails from teens and 20-somethings telling them the meaning of "kthxbai".

Chain letters can be as bad as spam sometimes.

- Pseudo "too late for 'bai'" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chillas to the bone:
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:

It is clearly humour.

Sorry, I did leave out the "supposed". It was pretty lame.

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been on the Internet for five years, now (no, not continuously, smart-alecs!),
and I had no idea what "kthxbai" meant.

I'm 48 and not currently blessed with any teenagers in the household, nor have I taught high school for the last several years. I don't "IM" because I just don't like it. I usually use good grammar in my e-mail and postings, and "BTW" is the only abbreviation I use often. I NEVER text message, and I seldom even use my cell phone.

Without taking the obvious step - that cops should think to do - of asking a teen, I would never have guessed the meaning of the cryptic code! But, it sounds pretty UL to me. I hate to admit it, but other than being about teen suicide, it is pretty funny, the point being that otherwise competent police are stumped by a simple juvenile or Internet/text message abbreviation that is common knowledge to many people.

As one who was ignorant myself until I read this, perhaps I appreciate it more than those of you to whom the code seems obvious. The teen suicide part is in poor taste, though, and the joke could be rewritten to substitute any number of other actions for the suicide.

Once again, Troberg has explained something to me (thanks), but what is "1337?"
I keep looking at it upside down, but it doesn't look like any letters to me.

kthxbai (but not killing myself now), DS

--------------------
Only when we remake ourselves can we remake the world.
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

surfcitydogdad, I am another reasonably computer literate middle-aged person, plus I have teenagers at home who infuse me with a modicum of hipness via osmosis....and I hadn't heard of kthxbai or 1337 either. But I do know how to do a Google search. Dude, you can find out almost anything with a simple search.

Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never saw kthxbai, I always saw it as kthxbye.

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
surfcitydogdad, I am another reasonably computer literate middle-aged person, plus I have teenagers at home who infuse me with a modicum of hipness via osmosis....and I hadn't heard of kthxbai or 1337 either.
Neither did I, but squint a little and read it out and you'll get it, much like most 1337-speech. And I'm 37...

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that's sorted out, anyone want to have a go at stendec? [Smile]

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey guys, I was being lazy; I figured you'd be willing to explain it to me, as Troberg explained "kthxbai." Squinting didn't help.

Okay, so I did a Yahoo search - which yields many results, the deciphering of which is a lot harder than just asking one of you - and I chose to go to Wikipedia, which usually gives the best answers about many things, and is the easiest place to go.

So 1337 or "leet" is an abbreviated language for IMing or text messaging. Fine. I prefer to speak and write - even over the Internet - in standard English (or Spanish, although I can't get the n~ right), so that I am most easily understood by the most people. Leet is a teen thing which may facilitate communication on tiny phone keyboards, but hinders communication in general (and in my opinion, fosters linguistic and intellectual sloppiness).

The Wikipedia article used the word "clique." When I am pedantic or use college jargon, I know that it defines my educational and socio-economic class, but I try to tailor my communication to the audience. However, many people are so accustomed to their own codes that they either willingly or inadvertantly exclude those outside their group. I understand that this is often a deliberate attempt by some groups to preserve an identity and keep secrets from outsiders, but if it begins to influence or replace everyday speech to the point that it hinders open communication it can isolate the users as well as the non-users.

But I ramble. The story is funny, except for the suicide part. Now I know what 1337 is, although I had to look it up myself, which somewhat defeats the purpose of the message board. In return, I made you suffer a snobbish rant, which was MY version of "elite!"

kthxbai - no, I just don't see myself using that.

--------------------
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the "bai" I never get. If you're going to abbreviate, at least make the word shorter. Same goes for "kewl".

A lame thing to be bugged by, I know, but it never fails to irritate the hell out of me when kids go "o im 2 lazy 2 type da whole werd, u never herd of abbreviations?" Kid, if you can type "abbreviation", you have time to put the "h" back in "wat?".

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

quote:
It's the "bai" I never get. If you're going to abbreviate, at least make the word shorter. Same goes for "kewl".
1337 is not originally about abbreviation, it's about obfuscation. The idea is that by changing the spelling a little, it becomes difficult to search in an efficient manner, which offers some protection.

--------------------
/Troberg

Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like something created by a subpar Onion wannabe.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Renewal, I agree completely!

I think "kewl" may be a spelling intended to reflect an affected alternate pronunciation of "cool" as kyool (kyewl) instead of kool (kewl). I'm not sure if that's always the case, but I've heard it pronounced that way.

Troberg, whenever anyone says "obfuscate," I think of "to deceive, inveigle, and obfuscate" from "The X-Files," and of the clever ironic phrase, "eschew obfuscation!" [lol]

--------------------
- Outer Limits (2001)

asnakeny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asnakeny   Author's Homepage   E-mail asnakeny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Check out Cecil Adams's column on "11375p34k" for a fun parsing of the hows and whys of the jargon.

Also, re: the OP, the "Miami Police Department" is actually a very small agency (full & proper name: City of Miami Police Department) in charge of investigating crimes within the narrow jurisdiction of the City of Miami. The larger, more well-known agency would be the Miami-Dade Police Department (MDPD), whose jurisdiction is essentially anywhere in Miami Dade County (especially all the parts known as "Unincorporated Miami-Dade County").

The OP seems to use "South Florida" and "Miami" interchangably (with no references to Miami-Dade), and this lack of clear terminology is "off" enough to raise big UL flags.

ju5t my 2 c3n+z.

--------------------
Is here no telephone?

Posts: 323 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't get the "joke" at first. I've never encountered that particular L337 phrase. So I read through the OP thinking "Huh? This is obviously fake, but I don't get it."

quote:
Originally posted by asnakeny:
The OP seems to use "South Florida" and "Miami" interchangably (with no references to Miami-Dade), and this lack of clear terminology is "off" enough to raise big UL flags.

I noticed that too. "South Florida" generally encompasses everything south of Tampa, Lake Okeechobee, and Palm Beach County, although it's usually applied more to the east coast. The jurisdiction of Miami is properly referred to as Miami-Dade. And no one on the Miami-Dade police force would consider a teen's suicide note newsworthy enough to put "five Detectives" on the case. Now that I do "get" that this is supposed to be humorous, a better setting for this type of parody article would be a podunk town in a rural area where most residents weren't familiar with computers.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by surfcitydogdad:
Now I know what 1337 is, although I had to look it up myself, which somewhat defeats the purpose of the message board.

How so? This isn't a search engine.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

I asked the question, in the course of the discussion, Candy, and was told it was easy to Google it. It was a good-natured response to a suggestion that wasn't rude in the first place. Context. In many of the threads, people ask for advice or info that is readily available elsewhere on the Internet, so I was dismayed but not offended to be told in this thread to look it up. That's all there was to it.

--------------------
- Outer Limits (2001)

Signora Del Drago

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
surfcitydogdad, to type an ñ, hold down Alt and use the numeric keypad, with num lock on, and type 0241. This will not work using the numbers across the top of the keyboard. It may not work with your OS, either, but it's worth a try.

ETA: How did you figure out what I meant? I originally typed
code:
<Alt>

but of course it didn't print Alt as I intended because HTML is enabled. Duh! I forgot about that. I use those symbols when sending instructions in an e-mail.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
asnakeny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asnakeny   Author's Homepage   E-mail asnakeny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:

quote:

I noticed that too. "South Florida" generally encompasses everything south of Tampa, Lake Okeechobee, and Palm Beach County, although it's usually applied more to the east coast. The jurisdiction of Miami is properly referred to as Miami-Dade. And no one on the Miami-Dade police force would consider a teen's suicide note newsworthy enough to put "five Detectives" on the case. Now that I do "get" that this is supposed to be humorous, a better setting for this type of parody article would be a podunk town in a rural area where most residents weren't familiar with computers.
Ah, the view from Gainesville; the view from down I95 is that anything north of West Palm Beach up through Jacksonville is "Central Florida", and further north becomes "Northern Florida" or "Panhandle" if you go west of Tallahassee.

That the University of South Florida is in Tampa is irrelevant to this view, as no university lacking a division 1A or 1AA football team counts anyway.

Also, "Miami" refers to the City of Miami (which consists of the downtown area + Overtown & Brickell), except in US Post office usage, where "Miami" also can refer to unincorporated Miami-Dade County (such as Kendall). All of the smaller "sub-cities" such as Miami Beach, North Miami, Hialeah, Coral Gables, etc. get to have their own city designation by the Postal Service and maintain their own city services (including police and fire service); unincorporated Miami-Dade is serviced by Miami-Dade County Services (PD, FD, etc.)

I used to think that this was ridiculous and hopelessly confusing to people outside of the county (it was fun to surprise people in the 80's by truthfully saying that the population of "Miami" was only about 20,000 people- as this figure did not include residents of the county and all of the sub-cities, who most people assumed lived in "Miami" even if they technically didn't.)

Then I realized how the political makeup of Queens County, NY was even more illogical (Long Island City is technically both on and not part of Long Island!) and I figured that the clowns who made up (or messed up) Dade County's infrastructure had to learn from someone else with more experience.

--------------------
Is here no telephone?

Posts: 323 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Thanks, del Drago; Orac already let me know, and that the upside down ! and ? are alt+ 0161 & 0191 respectively!

I still don't know how to do the accent marks properly, rather than using an apostrophe, which uses up a space.

Good thinking, asnakeny, in the above post. As you say, that's one of the hallmarks of an UL, when it says "the police," etc, rather than specifying the correct agency, or doesn't even name the specific locale.

No names, dates, and other correct specifics? Rumor!

BTW, re: "11375p34k;" I can see how 5p34k looks like "speak," but I still don't think 1337 looks anything like "leet" (elite). Maybe upside down 1337 looks like "LEEl." Oh, well, I'm just not into that, anyway. I can't imagine I'll ever be a text messager.

--------------------
- Outer Limits (2001)

erwins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erwins   E-mail erwins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I asked the question, in the course of the discussion, Candy, and was told it was easy to Google it. It was a good-natured response to a suggestion that wasn't rude in the first place. Context. In many of the threads, people ask for advice or info that is readily available elsewhere on the Internet, so I was dismayed but not offended to be told in this thread to look it up. That's all there was to it.

You missed that Buzzkiller posted a link to Wikipedia right after the post where you asked the question. [Wink] But, good to know you can find it if people really aren't as helpful as you'd like...

erwins

Posts: 238 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ah, the view from Gainesville; the view from down I95 is that anything north of West Palm Beach up through Jacksonville is "Central Florida", and further north becomes "Northern Florida" or "Panhandle" if you go west of Tallahassee.

How's that a different view? Other than that Jax isn't part of central Florida. You can't get any farther north than that!

Besides, you're talking to a native of unincorporated South Miami. [Wink]

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

I saw the link, erwin, and that's where I went on my own. It's okay that people suggested I do a search; Buzz is helpful, and Candy is sweet. I read the article and it's more than I ever need to know about leet. I'll stick with standard English. Just trying to read whole leet sentence examples in the Wiki piece gave me a headache.

It does seem to me that if kids can learn all of that just to type small talk on their phones, they should be doing much better in math and languages.

Orac and del Drago already told me how to make some of the Spanish characters, and I don't know how long it would have taken me to learn that on my own. I'd never even heard of the "character map" before.

As all of you know, sometimes doing a search is easy and productive, but other times it's hard to figure out where to look, or the links aren't very useful. That's why I usually go to Wiki first, for most Qs.

--------------------
- Outer Limits (2001)

surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

I saw the link, erwin, and that's where I went on my own. It's okay that people suggested I do a search; Buzz is helpful, and Candy is sweet. One might take the tone the wrong way, but that's a hazard of posting here, with or without emoticons.

I read the article, and it's more than I ever need to know about leet. I'll stick with standard English, which is far more user-friendly than leet, except for short text messages. I'll grant that leet can be a useful shorthand in some circumstances, but as Renewal pointed out, generally, it seems silly. Just trying to read whole leet sentence examples in the Wiki piece gave me a headache.

It does seem to me that if kids can learn all of that just to type small talk on their phones, they should be doing much better in math and languages. As for me, I'm not going to learn it, anymore than I am going to teach myself Morse code or Latin. Standard English serves me well, and I'm improving my Spanish.

Orac and del Drago already told me how to make some of the Spanish characters, and I don't know how long it would have taken me to learn that on my own. I'd never even heard of the "character map" before.

As all of you know, sometimes doing a search is easy and productive, but other times it's hard to figure out where to look, or the links aren't very useful. That's why I usually go to Wiki first, for most Qs. And, a lot of people do ask for info and advice here. I just got some great snow & ice driving tips, and Volvo info from Troberg and others at: http://msgboard.snopes.com/message/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/20/t/000690/p/1.html#000019

--------------------
- Outer Limits (2001)

Megan'sMom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megan'sMom   E-mail Megan'sMom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by James D:
The parents of the teen have expressed nothing but puzzlement at the bizarre signature supposedly left by their son of seventeen years.

Is it just me, or was that a really odd turn of phase? Generally, you might refer to a spouse or partner of X years, implying that the person had a life before becoming a spouse or partner. Are they saying the boy was adopted 17 years ago? Am I just reading too much into a poorly crafted spoof?

--------------------
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of --
but do it in private, and wash your hands afterwards.

- Lazarus Long

Posts: 300 | From: Waldorf, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alluvian
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alluvian     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought the origin of leetspeak was binary newsgroups where the ISP (or bbs) would run searches and delete posts that contained copywrighted software.

The "warez" groups. Instead of the title saying "Splinter Cell Chaos Theory", which is easily searchable, it would maybe say "5p11nt3r C311 ch4o5 Th3ory" which is harder to find for a search, but pretty easy to understand for a reader.

If it did start that way, it didn't stay isolated to that, and instead became part of the vernacular for a subgroup of the internet geeks. Again it probably crossed over initially as a means of confusing keyword searches. If an email sniffer is looking for keywords about hacking, or piracy, you have to hide what you are talking about.

It now exists all over the place and is pretty stupid.

The things like 'u' and 'thx' are not really leetspeak and have different origins. These are just developed for speed and for people who do not have typing skills. Also for people who want to look like idiots on the internet. It wasn't so bad until text phones became more popular. With their crappy text input it has become an epidemic that unfortunately seems to stick even when a full size keyboard is available.

Posts: 97 | From: Florida - USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

quote:
BTW, re: "11375p34k;" I can see how 5p34k looks like "speak," but I still don't think 1337 looks anything like "leet" (elite). Maybe upside down 1337 looks like "LEEl."
1=lower case L (ell)
3=backwards E
7=slightly wonked T

Put it together and we get ellEET, or elite. It's both graphical and phonetical shortcuts.

--------------------
/Troberg

MissEltoe
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just my 2¢...

I had never seen the kthxbai thing, but I figured it out in a few seconds. I'm 25, and have spent the better half of at least the last 10 years on the internet, and I admit when I'm talking amongst peers (text or online), I use words like "whateva", "ttyl", "brb", "da" (for the), "ova", "ur" etc.

However, on a messageboard such as this one, I prefer to use proper grammar and punctuation in order to be taken seriously.

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Also, re: the OP, the "Miami Police Department" is actually a very small agency (full & proper name: City of Miami Police Department) in charge of investigating crimes within the narrow jurisdiction of the City of Miami.

It's got more than 1,000 cops and 350 civilian officers. I'm not sure that's a "very small agency."

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Katness
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katness   Author's Homepage   E-mail Katness   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Troberg, whenever anyone says "obfuscate," I think of "to deceive, inveigle, and obfuscate" from "The X-Files," and of the clever ironic phrase, "eschew obfuscation!" [lol]

Hey... I resemble that remark! [Wink]

--------------------
Eschew Obfuscation.

Posts: 72 | From: Puyallup, WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ComicBookGeek
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ComicBookGeek     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All this and nobody mentioned "All Your Base ARe Belong to Us" [lol]

One thing I never understood was people using "n e way" instead of "anyway" It takes more space the first time

--------------------
My Blog

Posts: 177 | From: Mobile, AL | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages