snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Crime » OKC gang hoax

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OKC gang hoax
rogue
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rogue   E-mail rogue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Got this in my inbox. Anyone seen anything similar? I emailed the police and their reply follows.

-Rogue

> I am just passing along information I have received from several OKC
police
> officers, although they could not go into an details, they did issue me a
> warning and to be extremely cautious. It appears that there is a club
that
> has opened up in Bricktown that has very strong gang ties to it, the word
on
> the street is because of the shooting at Crossroads, they will retaliate,
if
> OKC takes away Crossroads from the gangs they will take away Bricktown.
The
> club in Bricktown is growing in numbers as far as gangs and people are
being
> advised that after about 8:00 pm, it might not be a good idea to be in
> Bricktown or at Crossroads. This information was a warning to me and no
> specifics were given and I did not ask but if you are going to be in
either
> place, please be aware of the surroundings and what might be going on. I
> take classes with several OKC police officers and they ar e anticipating
an
> increase in the gang activity.
>
> M. Joe Crosthwait Jr, Attorney at Law
> THE CROSTHWAIT LAW FIRM
> 1384 S. Douglas Boulevard
> Midwest City , Oklahoma 73130
> (405) 733-1683 voice
> (405) 741-1688 fax
> email: joe.crosthwait@lawoklahoma.com
>
>
Mr. Dean,

Thank you for taking the time to verify the validity of this e-mail. It is nothing more than a hoax. We contacted the attorney that is listed at the bottom of the e-mail and he said that his signature appeared on it after he received it and then forwarded to a couple of people. Again, the warning e-mail that you received is nothing more than a hoax.

Sincerely,
Sgt. Gary Knight
Public Information Office
Oklahoma City Police Dept.
701 Colcord Drive
Oklahoma City, OK 73102
(405)316-4822
gary.knight@okc.gov
www.okc.gov/citizenalert

--------------------
"'Cause you might enjoy some madness for awile."

Posts: 119 | From: Norman, OK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
please be aware of the surroundings and what might be going on
This is a good idea anyway.

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just looked in my Okie City telephone book, and there is listed an attorney by that name at that address with that telephone number. Remind me if I ever need an attorney not to go to one who will pass on e-mails like this one without first determining if they are valid.

That being said, my son has asked my daughter-in-law not to go to Crossroads Mall for many years, now, because of things that happen there. I was there with my husband a little over a month ago - during the day, not at night - and was rather frightened, even with the big guy by my side. I would never go there at night, alone or not. I know "you can't judge a book by its cover," but some of the people who were roaming the mall, mostly male but some female, both Black and Caucasian, were very scary. For want of a better description, they looked tough - kind of like they'd push you down before they'd move out of your way. And, they looked really mean. I'm talking about the look in their eyes when you walked past them. I had to go potty, and I asked my husband to stand outside the door and wait on me. He said he got some strange looks standing outside the door to the women's restroom. Hmmmmm. Maybe he scared some little old lady, too. lol

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I spent the summer in Oklahoma and it seemed toward the end of August it was getting to be really bad in Bricktown--quite a lot of shootings. I remember they were talking about instituting a curfew, but I'm not sure if that ever came to fruition.
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago:
I just looked in my Okie City telephone book, and there is listed an attorney by that name at that address with that telephone number. Remind me if I ever need an attorney not to go to one who will pass on e-mails like this one without first determining if they are valid.

Then again, we don't know that he actually sent it--it could have been sent by one of his competitors who was hoping for precisely the reaction you just gave.
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Astute observation, Class Bravo. I had not thought of that. Thanks.

The curfew is in effect. (Just one cite - there were more.)

ETA: The attorney said he did forward the e-mail, but still, I bet like you said, a competitor probably put his name and address on it.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rogue
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rogue   E-mail rogue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Two years ago the HS basketball team I was an assistant coach for went to a playoff game at Southeast in OKC. We went early, ate at a resturant outside the mall and then spent about 1 1/2 hour at the mall.

Then again, our coach was from the rough part of OKC, so nothing fazed him...

-Rogue

--------------------
"'Cause you might enjoy some madness for awile."

Posts: 119 | From: Norman, OK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have spent a lot of time, in my life, both alone and in groups, at Crossroads Mall. I am aware that things have happened there but I never felt unsafe. After all, there was a pet store there (I don't think it's there anymore) that let you pet the bunnies...I just loved petting the bunnies (which drove my mother crazy, as she was never interested in taking the detour I insisted on taking to pet bunnies or the occasional puppy, hand fed bird, or ferret).

Then again, I've also spent much of my life in rough areas, so maybe that had something to do with it. I vividly remember how I managed to avoid getting mugged when I wandered off into Chinatown in Washington, D.C., very early one morning, and was approached, and then followed, by a young man asking for money. (I went into the nearest Starbucks and started up an animated conversation with some strangers, as if I had known them for years. They thought I was a little crazy, but I did lose the would-be mugger.)

Anyway...your mileage, as usual, may vary.

Avril

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages