snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Crime » Is there a phishing scam where you say "yes" on the phone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is there a phishing scam where you say "yes" on the phone?
birdman
We Three Blings

Icon 201 posted      Profile for birdman   E-mail birdman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I could've sworn I've heard or read about a phishing scam where someone calls you, tries to get you to say "yes," then records it and uses it to... do something. Change your long distance service? I don't even remember. I thought I had read about it in a snopes writeup, but I may be confusing it with the 809 scam. Anyone have a clue what I'm thinking of?

At work a few weeks ago, someone called us (I assumed a telemarketer; he was also Indian, if that matters) and asked to speak to [Joe]. I put him on hold, and [Joe] said to tell him he's not there, that he had just spoken to this guy and it was a phishing scam, and he was trying to get him to say "yes." I told the guy that [Joe] had to step out for a bit, could I take a message? I guess he didn't understand what "step out for a bit" meant, so I said [Joe] had to go to the post office and would be back in about half an hour. The guy didn't seem to believe me, but accepted it anyway. I played dumb very well.

Then twice last week, I answered the phone and said my usual, "[Company Name], this is [birdman], may I help you?" The Indian guy said, "Is this [Company Name]?" Suspecting this might be our friend from the previous week, I didn't reply with a yes -- I simply said, "This is [Company Name]." He again said, "Is this [Company Name]?" I again avoided saying yes and said, "This is [Company Name], can I help you?" Then there were a few clicks, then silence.

So what exactly are they trying to do? Has anyone else experienced this?

-birdman

Posts: 1104 | From: near Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's called "slamming" and it is illegal.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It could be with it being an Indian call center they tend to take the letter of the law, for instance if they've been told the person has to say yes to the question no other response will do.
The first call just sounds like your mate is trying to avoid debt collectors.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
birdman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdman   E-mail birdman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A-ha! "Slamming" is the word I was looking for, not "phishing." Thanks.

From here:
Sometimes slammers create phony verification that customers agreed to switch. One ploy is to pose as your regular local or long-distance phone company and ask if you are satisfied with your service, if you want to take advantage of a new discount plan, or if you'd like to consolidate your telephone bills. Your "yes" answer is tape-recorded and used as proof that you agreed.

And from here:
Be careful when answering telephone surveys.
Be careful in responding to telephone surveys. If the person answering the telephone says “yes” to any of the surveyor’s questions, the answers may be taped and used later as verification of authorization to switch preferred telephone companies.

-birdman

Posts: 1104 | From: near Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rivkah Chaya
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivkah Chaya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, now I understand why, when telemarketers ask "Is Rivkah there?" and I say "This is she," they keep repeating the question.
Posts: 75 | From: Bloomington, IN | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages