snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Crime » Weird Delinquent Property Tax Scam

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weird Delinquent Property Tax Scam
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I wanted to share this scam that we came across in my office.

Last year our company purchased a new building. This morning our AP person ran into this notice. Our AP person calls the 800 number to find out what is going on. A recording instructs us to send in proof of payment to a PO box in Dallas, or fax it to them at a Dallas fax number. Our AP person decides to stay on the line to talk to someone. The someone on the other end informs us that due to our delinquent taxes our loan has been cancelled! At that point our AP person decides to call our loan officer directly and find out what is going on. Having an actual loan officer that you can call directly is one of the perks of banking with a local bank. Anyway we call our bank, and as our AP person is talking to our bank she starts looking more carefully at the notice. Even though it has our correct business address, parcel number, and account number - it is on a photocopy of our bank's letterhead. Also, the address listed as our bank's address is incorrect. The street name is mis-spelled and the city is wrong. Our bank confirms that they did not have anything to do with this notice and that our loan is not cancelled. So we are forwarding all this to their fraud investigation dept.

Here in the office we are trying to figure out just what the scam is. They ask you to send a copy of the front and back of your cancelled check showing that you paid your property taxes. So we are guessing that this is some sort of phishing scam to get your account numbers. Anyway, just wanted to put the word out.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, it sounds like they wanted account numbers. I hope you turned them in to the police.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree that it sounds like they wanted to get account numbers from you. I second that you should contact the police, or at least make sure that the loan company does (they probably will, they usually work with law enforcement on such investigations, or at least keep them in the loop).

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a guess, as I'm not sure about 800 numbers, but could it be some sort of premium rate number where you end up paying a lot to call them.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Happy Llama
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happy Llama     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skeptic:
Just a guess, as I'm not sure about 800 numbers, but could it be some sort of premium rate number where you end up paying a lot to call them.

In the U.S. all phone numbers with the 800 and 888 area codes are guaranteed to be toll free. At least as far as I know.

~~~~~~

Happy Llama

Posts: 30 | From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skeptic:

I know that 1800 numbers are toll free. YOu might be thinking of 1900 numbers or other rate lines.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Skeptic could be thinking of those scams where you start out with an 800 number and get transfered to a toll number in the course of navigating the automated menu.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages