snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Crime » New scam uses real bills for fake cash

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New scam uses real bills for fake cash
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 605 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Take a routine glance and this $20 bill looks like any other, with the face of Andrew Jackson staring back at you against a background of green, blue and yellow.

Hold the note up to a light, however, and something curious happens. A telltale watermark in the bottom right corner bears the face of Abraham Lincoln, Honest Abe of the $5 bill.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chicago/chi-0607300128jul30,1,5998204.story

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard a couple months ago (was it here?) this was going on and that they were considering revamping the $5 as a result. Originally fives and ones were going to stay the old design. But I have to wonder, why just give fives a new design? Surely they can do the same with a one dollar bill.

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember hearing something about how one-dollar bills are the least counterfeited and therefore are not considered "important" enough to get the remake treatment. If I can find a cite for that I'll edit my post to reflect that. [Smile]

ETA: "As for the one dollar bill, only a minimal redesign is planned at an unknown date. The one is usually not counterfeited because of its low value." from Discovery.

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Right, RelicMan, but that's not the point. They're using bleached five dollar bills right now, to print higher denomination bills on. If they can use five dollar bills, they can use one dollar bills. They're not going to counterfeit one dollar bills. That'd be silly, hence no plan (up to now) to go into the major design revamp like they've done with tens, twenties, and fifties.

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
majic
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for majic   E-mail majic   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The point of using the higher denomination bills like the five is that they have the security thread in them. The bill will feel very worn and the printing may cause one to examine further (which most people do by checking for the thread, but not reading it). The paper will get past the counterfeit pens with any denomination. After having one of those reprinted fives passed at my workplace (in which the cashier hit it with the pen and looked for a thread) about a year ago, we now check for the thread in every large bill and actually read it.

This works with the older bills without the watermarks, so that is the standard we work with now.

Posts: 5 | From: Bloomington, IL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Are all your bills in the USA still the same size regardless of denomination? I've often wondered why that is. This scam wouldn't work in the UK, Europe or most other places, because notes of different denomination are different sizes.

Not only does having different sized notes prevent this type of forgery, it makes it easier to tell the difference between the notes too. It seems such a no-brainer decision that I wonder why the USA has never introduced it.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
monkey
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkey   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But Richard W, if our bills were different sizes, they wouldn't fit so neatly in our wallets. Convenience over logic, every freaking time. [Smile]

--------------------
http://sarahdwebber.wordpress.com/

Posts: 1490 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I allowed to say "Yet another reason that I'm glad I don't live in the USA!" at this point, or would that just be trolling?
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nicki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not only would it help prevent that type of forgery but it would also help the blind differentiate between the different bills. I know they have their own technique now but the different sizes seems like it would be better.
Posts: 332 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
shifty rob
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shifty rob     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
Am I allowed to say "Yet another reason that I'm glad I don't live in the USA!" at this point, or would that just be trolling?

Actually, I thought it was your sig line.

--------------------
"They got a name for the winners in the world; I want a name when I lose" -Steely Dan

Posts: 480 | From: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages