snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Crime » Drunk MADD Mom?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Drunk MADD Mom?
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 24 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This legend has recently popped up on local message boards as a result of the Texas Alcohol and Beverage Commission has decided to end its campaign arresting people for being drunk in a bar.

In the threads about this, I keep seeing people talk about the president of MADD being arresting for drinking and driving a couple years ago. I remember hearing about this, but have bee unable to google any results on it.

Does anyone know if such a thing really happened?

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The story has been around for more than a couple of years - I remember hearing it at least 15 years ago - but I have no idea whether or not it's true.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The legend has popped up as a result of the Commissions decision?

Or the decision was made because the legend has popped up?

Either way, why do you think that there is a relationship between the two?

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lynnejanet:
The legend has popped up as a result of the Commissions decision?

Or the decision was made because the legend has popped up?

Either way, why do you think that there is a relationship between the two?

The legend reemerged as a result of message board threads discussing the decision. Typically, there were posts like "Those MADD people are at it again!" which would lead to somebody bringing up this legend.

That is how the two are related.

ETA -- regardless of how they're related, I'm really curious as to whether there's any validity to the legend.

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From what I recall of the "arrest" - from a VERY foggy remembery is as follows:

The FOUNDER and President of MADD was followed home by a cop, and after she had STOPPED in her driveway, she was approached and given a field sobriety test... a subsequent breathalyzer came up with alcohol... The MADD supporter I heard this from was horribly offended that the cop had the balls to arrest her for DUI, as when he approached, she WASN'T DRIVING... she was parked.

Personally, I think it is all just ULish and wishful thinking by irony inspired drinkers with overactive imaginations, or with all the MADD chapters around, it is only inevitable that SOME day a chapter president is arrested for something and it all gets twisted around to the national organization president is drunk behind the wheel...

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is *a* founder of a chapter in Florida who was arrested in 2003 for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, after she pulled a gun on a guy outside a bar. (source)

In 1999, a person previously convicted four times for DUI hit the-then MADD director's car. (source)

Perhaps the two stories have been merged into one urban legend.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hoitoider
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The founder of MADD is Candy Lightner. She founded the organization in the early 80's but was forced out several years later when others in MADD got into trying to remove alcohol from society rather than getting drunk drivers off the road.

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages