snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » MP3 player software reccomendation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MP3 player software reccomendation
Tyrone Slothrop
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Tyrone Slothrop   E-mail Tyrone Slothrop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, I'm looking for a new media player for my computer. I have tons of MP3's and have been using Windows Media Player 11 for a couple months.

I've noticed that it's a huge memory hog and leaks constantly.

Does anyone have suggestions for a good MP3 software player that leaves a low memory footprint? I've tried Foobar2000 but it's too complex for me. I want something that has a library integrated into it so I can view my artists and albums and all that.

Is iTunes any good? I'm hesitant to install it but it might be better than WMP11.

MusicMatch was a huge memory hog.

Thanks for any suggestions. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"The universe works on a math equation that never even ever really even ends in the end"

Posts: 32 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I want something that has a library integrated into it so I can view my artists and albums and all that.
See, the thing is that the more features you add to your music player, the more of a memory hog it'll be. I would still recommend Foobar - it's not difficult at all once you get used to it. I've added all my music folders to the main library, set it up top launch minimized and control it through keyboard shortcuts. Quick and painless.

quote:
Is iTunes any good?
As an iPod interface, very. As a music library, adequate. As a music player...it's not something I would use.

My philosophy is that a music player needs to be as small and unobtrusive as possible, since I usually listen to music while I do other work (browsing, typing etc). For that, Foobar (or perhaps Winamp or Evilplayer) are best.

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been using RealPlayer for awhile, and I have loved it. My old computer's motherboard died, so, when I got the new computer, I just copied and pasted files from the old hard drive onto the new one, and all of my music showed up just like it had been on the old 'puter.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have been using RealPlayer for awhile, and I have loved it.
Fair warning: if you say that in any other place on the internet, you'll probably get tarred and feathered.

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bug Muldoon:
quote:
I have been using RealPlayer for awhile, and I have loved it.
Fair warning: if you say that in any other place on the internet, you'll probably get tarred and feathered.
Funny thing: I don't give a shit. I use what works. If others have issues, then sorry for them. [Wink]

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

quote:
Funny thing: I don't give a shit. I use what works. If others have issues, then sorry for them.
You do know it was voted the second-worst tech product of all time, right [Wink]

--------------------

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

quote:
quote:
Funny thing: I don't give a shit. I use what works. If others have issues, then sorry for them.
You do know it was voted the second-worst tech product of all time, right [Wink]
By whom? It's easy and intuitive to use (drop and drag is all it takes to move songs around your various libraries, as well as burn to CD or transfer to a portable music device), it has a small enough footprint that I can have it running while playing CivIV, and it has never crashed, has never done anything I don't want it to do, and it plays everything I've asked it to.

Windows Media"Player," OTOH does all of those things I don't like, and does very few of the things I do like.

--------------------

unhappy_buffalo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappy_buffalo   E-mail unhappy_buffalo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Go with Winamp. Best stuff out there, IMO.

--------------------
[IMG]http://sevenelevenclan.org/users/unhappy_buffalo/Unhappybuffalo2.jpg[/IMG]

Posts: 42 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tyrone Slothrop

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyrone Slothrop   E-mail Tyrone Slothrop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I want something that has a library integrated into it so I can view my artists and albums and all that.
See, the thing is that the more features you add to your music player, the more of a memory hog it'll be. I would still recommend Foobar - it's not difficult at all once you get used to it. I've added all my music folders to the main library, set it up top launch minimized and control it through keyboard shortcuts. Quick and painless.

quote:
Is iTunes any good?
As an iPod interface, very. As a music library, adequate. As a music player...it's not something I would use.

My philosophy is that a music player needs to be as small and unobtrusive as possible, since I usually listen to music while I do other work (browsing, typing etc). For that, Foobar (or perhaps Winamp or Evilplayer) are best.

Thanks Bug (and Angl...but I'm with the others on RealPlayer. Evil... [Razz] )

This is how I have my music folder setup:

Genre/Artist/Album/Files

How would one setup Foobar to act as a library with this structure?

I've searched Google for Foobar guides (for idiots) but can't find much. Can you suggest a good setup guide for a beginning Foobar user?

--------------------
"The universe works on a math equation that never even ever really even ends in the end"

Posts: 32 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also recommend Winamp as your player. iTunes works great for my iPod and sorting my library to put on my iPod, but it's nowhere near the piece of music-playing software that Winamp is.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I use I-Tunes, but I keep it minimised and control it through my web browser (Firefox) using Foxy Tunes.

Regarding Real Player, I just can't abide by its insistence to vandalise my entire computer with adware, nominate itself as default viewer for everything without asking first, and sprinkling it's shortcut icons everywhere I look. Use it if you want, but I implore you to use the "custom install" option.

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always used winamp as well. I use iTunes for my library, but not as my player. Its really better to have two different programs for the different purposes. You just don't want to have all the baggage of a library program loading every time you double click on an mp3 file.

I also hate RealPlayer. Its conceivable that they fixed all the evil things about it since last time I tried, but I doubt it. And there is no reason to try it, since there are competing products that never came with evil in the first place.

Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr:
quote:
quote:
By whom?
By PC World, the world's #1 circulating computer magazine.

According to Wikipedia:
quote:

RealPlayer 10 is configured to run the Message Center program automatically at system startup and RealPlayer shutdown. The message center has generated controversy because it features advertisements for bands. Some have said this could qualify as adware. Although there is an option to turn the messages off, RealPlayer 10 will automatically turn some message options back on. As a result, the Message Center will almost always pop up with new messages.

Security researcher Richard M. Smith dissected some of RealJukebox's network traffic and discovered that it was sending a unique identifier with information about the music titles its users were listening to.

RealPlayer uses the System Wave volume control. If the user mutes RealPlayer, he or she will mute the computer sound speakers. This issue has not been fixed.

This is far from a comprehensive list, since people have hated it since long before the versions these particular "features" apply to, but it fits with the longstanding pattern. When there is enough of an outcry, they fix one malware aspect of their product, but they always sneak in more malware to make up for it.
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tyrone Slothrop

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyrone Slothrop   E-mail Tyrone Slothrop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Errata:
I've always used winamp as well. I use iTunes for my library, but not as my player. Its really better to have two different programs for the different purposes. You just don't want to have all the baggage of a library program loading every time you double click on an mp3 file.

How could I use WinAmp with a separate library program? What is a separate library program? And how would I import my library into WinAmp?

I have WinAmp 5.x installed and it has all of this extra baggage I never use.

--------------------

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr:
quote:
quote:
By whom?
By PC World, the world's #1 circulating computer magazine.

Okay. They didn't ask me, though.

quote:
According to Wikipedia:
quote:

RealPlayer 10 is configured to run the Message Center program automatically at system startup and RealPlayer shutdown. The message center has generated controversy because it features advertisements for bands. Some have said this could qualify as adware. Although there is an option to turn the messages off, RealPlayer 10 will automatically turn some message options back on. As a result, the Message Center will almost always pop up with new messages.

I switched off the Message Center the first time I d/l'd RealPlayer, and have never had a problem with any malware whatsoever.

quote:
Security researcher Richard M. Smith dissected some of RealJukebox's network traffic and discovered that it was sending a unique identifier with information about the music titles its users were listening to.

RealPlayer uses the System Wave volume control. If the user mutes RealPlayer, he or she will mute the computer sound speakers. This issue has not been fixed.

Hmmm...I don't know if this is a problem I have experienced; usually when I am using RealPlayer, I am not using the sound on any other program which might be running, so this may be something that is an issue for a different kind of user.

quote:
This is far from a comprehensive list, since people have hated it since long before the versions these particular "features" apply to, but it fits with the longstanding pattern. When there is enough of an outcry, they fix one malware aspect of their product, but they always sneak in more malware to make up for it.
I guess I am not sure why you particularly care. As I have stated, RealPlayer has not caused me a moment's trouble at all, so what is it you're trying to convince me of, and why?

--------------------

Errata

Ignorance is bliss I guess.

If you are happy, fine. But you should know some of the reasons that most informed internet users disagree with you before recommending the product.

The realplayer message center was only able to be turned off since 10.5, released 2 years ago. So I suppose your extensive problem free experience is all of 2 years old. With around a decade of documented abuses under their belt, your 2 years of undemanding use aren't terribly convincing.

You may not be aware of some of the spyware on your own machine and how it degrades your performance. If your computer is never quite as fast as it was when you bought it and your personal information is mysteriously stolen some day, you may never know what to attribute it to. But your inability to pinpoint a cause isn't the same as not having "a moment's trouble at all". If you're diligent about those sorts of things you'd agree with the security experts and consumer advocates who recommend against Realplayer. Realplayer has a history of doing things to people's machines that are bad for those users but good for RealNetworks.

faceless007
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faceless007   E-mail faceless007   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I personally have used Winamp 5 since it came out and love it. I find its Media Library far, far more responsive and flexible than iTunes, especially since it has one absolutely critical feature which iTunes lacks (the ability to monitor a folder and add all new files in it to the library). There are all sorts of small things which I think Winamp does better than iTunes, but they add up.

foobar2000 seems like an interesting piece of software, though, and I've sometimes contemplated trying to figure it out and make it as usable as Winamp to compare them. It's definitely the one with the smallest memory footprint. For what it's worth, I found this guide to making foobar2000 usable, but I haven't actually read it yet, so I don't know if it's, er, usable.

Posts: 940 | From: California | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Thanks, Errata, for saying I am ignorant.

You're as charming as ever!

--------------------

Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ignorance is bliss I guess.

If you are happy, fine. But you should know some of the reasons that most informed internet users disagree with you before recommending the product.

The realplayer message center was only able to be turned off since 10.5, released 2 years ago. So I suppose your extensive problem free experience is all of 2 years old. With around a decade of documented abuses under their belt, your 2 years of undemanding use aren't terribly convincing.

You may not be aware of some of the spyware on your own machine and how it degrades your performance. If your computer is never quite as fast as it was when you bought it and your personal information is mysteriously stolen some day, you may never know what to attribute it to. But your inability to pinpoint a cause isn't the same as not having "a moment's trouble at all". If you're diligent about those sorts of things you'd agree with the security experts and consumer advocates who recommend against Realplayer. Realplayer has a history of doing things to people's machines that are bad for those users but good for RealNetworks.

Now, I don't encourage intrusive software such as RealPlayer's initial releases, but if they've addressed and fixed these problems, then should we not give them some credit? I, personally, don't use RealPlayer, but if it works for AnglRdr and the spyware/adware problems seem to have been addressed, then is there really any reason for her to not recommend it?

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, of course not, but potential users should always be aware of what they may be letting themselves in for. I for one don't think that they (Real Media) deserve any credit for doing the right thing. They have a bit more to do before they have won my trust. Doing the right thing should be the norm, not something to applaud.

Let's put it this way. Let's say that you have been given a business proposal from a stranger. It turns out that some of your friends happen to know this guy, so they feel obligated to let you know about his shady past dealings. He says he's a changed man, but there's not much evidence to support his claim. What we're saying is "deal with this guy if you want to, but this is his history so be on your guard. He might have a nice smile these days, but he still has a devious mind".

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Not_Done_Living

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Not_Done_Living     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Winamp .. it really whips the Llamas azzzzzz [Smile]
Posts: 62 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tyrone Slothrop

I actually managed to setup Foobar2000 with the guide Faceless supplied and I really like it.

I'm not ambitious enough to make some really complicated configs, but I like what it created. Here's a screenie:

My Foobar

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages