snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » Is anyone familiar with Plantronics headsets?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is anyone familiar with Plantronics headsets?
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As I've said before (mostly in rants in rantidote) I'm the go to guy for everything electronic in my office. It has batteries it's somehow my responsibility to fix it.
We have about 40 or so people with these annoying Plantronics headsets. They're great in theory because they allow you to carry on phone conversations while away from your desk. In reality they're very glitchy. At least once a week I have someone coming to me with problems with them ranging from the volume being to low to the lifter no longer working. I have to re-synch them every time and almost without fail they will have the same problem again in a few weeks so I have to order a new one. I have about 10 of them in my "workshop" (the server room where I throw all the problem hardware I can't fix).
Anyway, I have two theories about why we have so many problems. One is that we have too many in use too close to each other which causes them to interefere with each other. My other theory is they're pieces of crap.
Any help would be appreciated. I've been trying to avoid asking for help here but I can't find any tech forums that address these headsets. It's driving me crazy.

Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ILS
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILS   E-mail ILS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
One is that we have too many in use too close to each other which causes them to interfere with each other.
I would presume this one is fairly easy to test, if you could try one of your rejects out in a location that is reasonable removed from any other similar devices.

I don't see how too many being in operation in close quarters could permanently damage them, could it?

Posts: 287 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ILS:
quote:
One is that we have too many in use too close to each other which causes them to interfere with each other.
I would presume this one is fairly easy to test, if you could try one out in a location that is reasonable removed from any other similar devices.

I don't see how too many being in operation in close quarters could permanently damage them, could it?

I don't think it would permanently damage them. I think what's causing that is the idiots who get angry and bang them on their desks. Of course, no one will admit to this.
Thanks for the advice, I will try to set one up away from the rest if I can find a spot.

Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GoMeZu
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GoMeZu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to work at a call center, and we used hundreds of plantronics headsets. but we used the wired ones, because they tried the wireless ones and they sucked. A few people purchased personal ones and they worked fine, but it was like 2 or 3 total in the building. I would suppose it was intereference with each other, but i can't say for sure. I do know that the wired ones worked pretty much with out fail.

--------------------
That Damn Cow

Posts: 118 | From: Akron, OH | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. We just got Plantronics headsets in my office. So far I think they're great, but I generally only use them one hour a day, each day. I'm not the regular phone operator (I just cover lunch) but I thought they worked out really nicely.

Only three of us use them, and all at different times. Plus, we just got them about a week ago, so I haven't had too much time to see if there are any problems. So far I really do think the headsets make it convenient for answering the phone and getting my work done at the same time while I'm at the switchboard.

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages