snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » Guitar Hero II

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Guitar Hero II
Salamander
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have spent a fairly large number of hours playing GH2 since I opened it on Christmas morning... and it truly rocks!!

They took what was already a great product and refined it that much further. The multiplayer aspect is simply awesome! Because I play it so much, I was usually banned from the multiplayer GH1 at parties because I found the Easy setting... well... too easy. Now that each player can pick their difficulty level I get to play multiplayer again [Big Grin]

Anyone else playing GH2?

(I'd written more stuff in praise of the game but it was starting to sound like a paid endorsement)

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
doofusmongerbeep
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doofusmongerbeep     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My brother got it for my husband for Christmas. Got him the wireless guitar.

He LOVES it - is playing it while I type this up. I think the only reason he quit playing last night was because his wrist and fingers got tired. [Razz]

If I can pull him away long enough, I'll let you know what he thinks of it. [Wink]

Posts: 150 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got GH2 for Christmas as well. I never played the first one. The game is awesome. I'm terrible at Medium level right now, but I'm progressing nicely on Easy. Hopefully by the time I finish Career mode on Easy I'll be prepared for Medium mode.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The medium career mode shows you just how much work they've put into making GH2 better than GH1. The easy career mode between GH1 and GH2 is almost identical -- finish the songs in one set and move onto the next. Going to medium highlights the differences, namely a wider range of unlockable content (in addition to the "usual" stuff from GH1 you get costumes, more guitars and 3 characters). Plus there is a super cool feature once you've completed the 3 out of 4 songs needed to progess.

Finishing the game in medium also unlocks another multi-player game, I'm assuming finishing in hard & expert will also unlock other content as well.

Now I'm just hoping they find a way to combine the next GH game with something like SingStar.

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fujicakes
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fujicakes   E-mail Fujicakes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My housemate has the game. I can't get past medium yet, but I love the it. It's so addicting! I'm a big fan of Crazy on You.
Posts: 7 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Amazing Rando
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Amazing Rando   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Amazing Rando   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend got it for Christmas, and I spent this evening hopping between stores to find it, but everywhere I looked was out of stock. I guess I'll have to buy it online or wait until next Tuesday.
Posts: 417 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gave it to one of my housemates for Christmas, but he hasn't broken it out yet. He generally likes music-oriented games and enjoyed GH1.

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Songs I like:

Crazy On You

Heart Shaped Box

Mother

Can't You Hear Me Knocking?

Cherry Pie

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KaiTheInvader
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KaiTheInvader   Author's Homepage   E-mail KaiTheInvader   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
my dad got guitar hero 2 for christmas, and since we spent the night at his house, that meant I got to play it as well. I'd really only wanted the game just to play the hidden Dethklok (Metalocalypse) song "Thunderhorse".

So I spent about 6 hours straight unlocking every single thing in that game I could (seriously, my fingers started locking in weird positions for days after)....until I realized that you could just buy the song from the store.

But man, that song was completely worth it, I also loved playing the Butthole Surfers song "Who Was In My Room Last Night?"

--------------------
Resurrection of mankind to careen in silent pace. Feeling lonely. I am the dream that nobody dreams of, but will you dream of me, and dream of eternal desire? If you dream of me, will you live for me? Will you? Will you?

Posts: 344 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got the game before Christmas, when it came out, and I love it as well. I loved the first one and the second one is everything it was and more, although I think I preferred the song selection a teeny tiny bit more in the first one. Here're my favorite songs from GH2:

Cheap Trick - Surrender

Heart-Shaped Box - Nirvana

Message in a Bottle - The Police

Carry On My Wayward Son - Kansas

Monkey Wrench - Foo Fighters

Them Bones - Alice In Chains

Tattooed Love Boys - The Pretenders

War Pigs - Black Sabbath

Cherry Pie - Warrant

Girlfriend - Matthew Sweet

Sweet Child O'Mine - Guns N' Roses

Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Machine

John the Fisherman - Primus

Crazy On You - Heart

Trippin' On a Hole In a Paper Heart - Stone Temple Pilots

Rock This Town - Stray Cats

Jessica - The Allman Brothers Band

Stop - Jane's Addiction

Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Thunderhorse - Deathklok

Trogdor - Strongbad

Playing Freebird = one of the greatest video game moments ever. Especially in the setting they chose with all of the lighters. ^^

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Amazing Rando
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Amazing Rando   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Amazing Rando   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My only major problem with it is the lack of quality of some of the vocal covers. They do a good job on Guns n' Roses, but Black Sabbath, Megadeth, Kansas, and especially Cheap Trick are fairly poorly sung. The rest of the instruments, however, are pretty spot-on, and the game itself is amazingly addicting.
Posts: 417 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can see why some might think Black Sabbath's cover isn't up to quality, but Kansas and Cheap Trick? Those are two of the best covers on the soundtrack, IMO.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fujicakes
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 04 posted      Profile for Fujicakes   E-mail Fujicakes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While I played career mode, I had the hugest grin when

(possible spoiler?)

the drummer exploded. I almost cried from joy.

Posts: 7 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Miles Invictus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miles Invictus   E-mail Miles Invictus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Great game, and pretty easy to pick up on, too. So far, I've got five stars on all Easy mode songs. Soon, I'll have Medium finished, too. [Smile]

Hard is a huge pain, though. It's difficult trying to learn to shift the hand around to hit those extreme notes.

Posts: 236 | From: Iowa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

Just wait until you get to Expert. Three button chords and super-fast-head-exploding fun. :x

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages