snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » Help please!- Internet connectivity in my sister's computer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help please!- Internet connectivity in my sister's computer
Raven Waift
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raven Waift   Author's Homepage   E-mail Raven Waift   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband and I are giving my sister a computer for Christmas. Technically it was her computer, but it was really broken. We replaced a lot of parts.

Windows installation went fine, but now we can't connect to the internet. Neither of us had any problems getting our computers to connect, but this computer refuses to connect.

I will let my husband describe the problem, since he has been working on it longer than I.

From DH:
"No matter what settings or fixes I try, the same two problems persist: IP address will not renew, and the status shows sending packets but not receiving packets. I have tried using the onboard LAN and two other LANs. I have tried adjusting the network settings and even pinging in DOS. So far, it shows either connected or limited connection, every time with the same two previously mentioned problems. Frustration continues unhindered."

Does anyone have any advice? Ideas? Comments? Murmurings?

--------------------
Whereas as you are dancing happily in the fields of ignorance through which the stream of stupidity bubbles and flows. -BlushingBride
My my space.

Posts: 656 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
winsock seems to be broken.

Did you install IE7? I know someone else who did, and it corrupted winsock.

If that's the case, I might be able to retrace my steps and find the fix... but I believe you will have to uninstall IE7. That in itself may do it.

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SoToasty
Flock to malls with boughs of cash

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoToasty   E-mail SoToasty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's see what I can come up with. First a few questions?

When you say two other LANs I am assuming you mean network cards. Did you try placing them in a different PCI Slot.

You computers do not have a problem connecting, are you using the same LAN cable that the non connecting computer is?

What type of network cards are you using? What version of windows? Wireless or cabled connection (I am assuming cabled)?

Generally when I notice that it is sending but not receiving it is one of 2 things. The network IP/Route is messed up, or the cable to the hub/switch/router is bad.

--------------------
Wherever ya go, there ya are.

Posts: 816 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Raven Waift
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raven Waift   Author's Homepage   E-mail Raven Waift   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
DH got it fixed a little bit ago. He deleted every network setting there was, and put in the bare minimum. That seems to have fixed it- though we don't know what was actually wrong. One of the settings had gone wrong I guess.

Thanks for attempting to help.

--------------------
Whereas as you are dancing happily in the fields of ignorance through which the stream of stupidity bubbles and flows. -BlushingBride
My my space.

Posts: 656 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ctown28
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ctown28   E-mail ctown28   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Try resetting the TCP/IP stack it may be corrupted

http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips449.html

This is assuming your are running on Windows XP

Posts: 143 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages