snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » High mileage motor oil

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: High mileage motor oil
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 202 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was buying motor oil today, as my 11 year old car needs a quart added every now and then. I noticed that pretty much every major brand now makes a migh milage formula that they recomend for cars with over 75,000 miles on them, which of course costs a bit more than the regular oil. The all carry claims along the lines of "Restores horsepower" and "Reduces oil consumption."

So what exactly is different about the high milage oil compared to the regular stuff? Does it actually do what the label says it does, and if so, how? Will it do anything for my car, which needless to say has well over 75k miles on it?

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrekkerScout
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrekkerScout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only real difference between regular motor oils and high mileage motor oils is that most high mileage oils contain a seal conditioner additive that is supposed to increase the life of gaskets and piston rings and may help to "fix" small cracks that have already formed. If you change the oil and replace the gaskets as required in the automobile operation manual, you shouldn't have any reason to purchase the higher priced oil.
Posts: 306 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of the claims made about oil superiorness are pure bullshit as long as you are not into racing (and I mean racing, not just an occasional street light showdown).

Just avoid the worst oils (the very cheapest). I have always used Quaker State, which is an excellent, yet reasonably priced oil.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages